Four players critical to the success of the Miami Dolphins in 2017: Offensive Edition

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, May 18, 2017.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

phinphan4life and insomnia411 like this.
  2. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I think there should be 4 players on both sides of the ball that will be critical. I have less worries about the offense. My primary concerns are Julius Thomas and the offensive line cohesion. On defense, its Phillips, Wake (staying healthy), Jones returning to form, Misi, Timmons and how quickly our other rookies assimilate to the defense.

3. HopaLong

HopaLong Rookie

Tannehill, Tannehill, Tannehill, and ... Tannehill.
    If he can become the player we all think he can become, every other position should be sufficient.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    rickd13 likes this.
  4. FSU Truth

FSU Truth inside my DNA Finheaven VIP

I would say guard play is even more critical than Tunsil, we know Tunsil can get the job done...that is an elite talent who played above average out of position last season. Pouncey's health, as well as average guard play, will dictate the most for this offense.

gunn34, JakeemThe Dream and nick1 like this.
  5. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

I think it's a given if Thomas and Parker have big years we will have a top 10 offense. Cuz we know Landry and Stills will bring it. Parker and Thomas are wildcards

6. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

Pouncey and whoever the two starting guards are. If the interior oline is solid the entire offense will fall into place. If the interior struggles the offense could collapse. Tannehill, coming off his first serious injury, needs to be confident that the oline will hold up if he's going to mentally recover from the injury.

gunn34, spiketex and biggrouper like this.
  7. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Every player is critical but there are a few unknown commodities on each side of the ball that MUST play extremely well (or step up) for us to be competitive in the AFC.

Offense
    DV Parker: Must stay healthy and reach his potential
    Julius Thomas: Must revert to the player he was in 2013/2014
    Ted Larsen: Must prove he can be relied upon as a full time starter and not commit dumb penalties.
    Mike Pouncey: Must get healthy and STAY healthy. we need 14 games from him minimum.

Defense:
    Phillips: Must be the player ALL season that he was and the end of last season...and play 65% of the snaps.
    Nate Allen: Must return to the player he was in 2014
    WDE (Branch OR Harris). One or the other has to provide consistent pressure as well as set an edge.
    Raekwon McMillan: Must establish himself as a quality starter or we revert back to Misi and his injuries.

coalesce likes this.
  8. biggrouper

biggrouper Scout Team

To me: %100 Mike Pouncey needs to be on the list - If he doesn't stay healthy then we will have issues running the ball and pass protection up the middle.

9. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

Pouncey definitely needs to be on this list. We need him healthy majority of the season, if not all season.

10. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

I should have added Bobby McCain to my list.

11. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

Well this one is offense and no QB allowed on it

12. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

Timmons should be on this list imo.

13. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

The biggest factor is health and dedication to the game.
    Dedicated players can play through normal pain and seasonal injuries.

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  14. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

I get your point on Timmons because there is a reason the Steelers let him walk, but anything is better than having Paysinger and Jenkins trying to act like linebackers.

FinaticalOne likes this.
  15. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream Well-Known Member

Tunsil and Ajayi are more than likely going to develop into complete studs.

Tunsil was the blessing in disguise we finally got. Elite talent

Ajayi really doesn't concern me. He just runs through whatever's in his way. Wait until he has big holes to run through

And that's where Mr. Pouncey comes along..With Pouncey our Run game is almost unstoppable.

He's a top 3 center in the league but his health is concerning.

Maybe I'm too optimistic ,but I think Julius is ready now. He got his big contract and now is playing for the one coach who he knows the best and vice versa. We have a lot of options on offense.

Our 3rd receiver was getting offers to be other teams #1 lol That's respect

Parker should and I believe will turn the corner and prove he's the best receiver on the Fins.

Yes, I love Landry's greatness but there's some things Parker has that can't be taught.

Money talks and Parker is well aware. I think he has his breakout year because from what I seen, that dude can run extremely fast with long strides. If he fails, it's fully on him.

Parker does take away the other squads #1 receiver most games. That cannot be overlooked

This is a very exciting time to be a die hard. For those that always stuck, believe great things will come thanks to our stud Head Coach!!

PHINS UP!!

16. JakeemThe Dream

JakeemThe Dream Well-Known Member

Ya totally agree on Reshad but I could've sworn they said he was playing with a screwed up shoulder since last season.

If he plays anything like he did in 2015, we will have our Superstar back.

I don't see any reason why Reshad comes back any different than great.

Our D really has a lot of talent. I'd be surprised if we are as horrific as last year.

Too good of an Offseason including draft to say otherwise. We lost nobody besides sims but I already forgot about him due to the arrival of Anthony Fasano who will quickly become AJayi's edge setter.

That would be a pain to have to go up against Tunsil and then Fasano on the same side.

Jay is going to be a top 3 RB in the game very soon if not already..

17. Digital

Digital Starter

Tannehill, Parker, Asiata and Pouncey. I say that because we really are not sure how those 4 will play, but all 4 are poised to make big leaps in impact. If Tannehill continues where he left off after the first 5 games of last year, he'll become elite. Parker and Pouncey need to prove they have conquered the health bug. Asiata needs to step in and dominate. All 4 have the ability.

I don't list Ajayi because I feel he has already proven his worth and just expect more of the same excellence. I didn't include Julius Thomas because I'm not a believer. The guy can't stay healthy, hasn't proven a commitment to the game, and needs to come a long way to recapture his Denver form. I'm very open to being proven wrong though.

18. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Actually, this team seems to have covered its *** pretty well.

Suh and Tanny are my only two and Moore isn't a bad alternative.

If Suh goes down, that'll leave a mark.

19. 39wildman

39wildman A True Fan

As team we are ready. The keys player will be Thill17. yr six. this team will only go as far as thill17 take them. the dolphins need score more point....they need backup center for Pouncey. If defense is health will be in top 15. they were rank 19th total last yr.... pass defense was good but run defense suck 31 against run. Wr are dolphins best position on team. RB are good. defense is good at sacking qb. db played good last yr. coaches must be on their a game this yr. .

JakeemThe Dream likes this.
  20. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

So......we are good then, right!? Huh?

21. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

The Steelers actually tried to re-sign him but he got a better offer from Miami.

22. Anvil35

So there is a reason the Steelers let him go - They werent going to offer him what the Dolphins offered!! Why is that - because his play has declined in the Steelers eyes.

23. mwestberry

mwestberry Well-Known Member

Well....this is the OFFENSIVE edition...lol

If I had to choose 4 offensive players....
    Tunsil...has to prove worthy of being as good or better than Albert was...Tannehill has to be protected
    Pouncey.....has to remain on the field and anchor our line....
    Thomas...has to revert to his days in Denver and prove Jacksonville was the problem for him
    Parker has to show he is the receiver the team believes he can be

These 4 have to step it up and prove themselves worthy...the other key players did step it up last season but needed help...so with everything else remaining the same these 4 listed would improve our offense tremendously imo

24. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

What will take us over the top into another playoff berth are longer drives and more 3rd down conversions. We were in the bottom 3 in the league in number of 1st downs and also in bottom 3 in 3rd down conversions. Way too many stalled drives. We need better short yardage conversion in the run game for 3rd and short and we need more consistency in the pass game as far as drops, penalties and pass breakups.

4 players (outside of the QB) who are key to that? Pouncey, Bushrod, Ajayi, Parker.

25. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

The Steelers, like the Patriots have a history of letting guys walk and refusing to pay. Especially when the players are approaching 31 years old. They did the same thing to James Harrison a few years ago and then brought him back a year later. Haggling over a few million doesn't change the fact that they still wanted him. They let him test the market. Same thing we did with OV, Miller and Mathews. The fact is nobody knows the inside story and how much they offered Timmons but we are not even paying him huge money. He will be an upgrade even if he has lost a step. Koa Misi would have been in line for similar (but slightly less) money if he had not been injured last year and restructured (twice).

Only time will tell whether or not Timmons was worth it. I like the leadership, toughness, durability, work ethic and maturity for a unit sorely lacking in those areas.

26. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

The four most critical players who need to step up for this offense to thrive are Parker (who will) and the three interior spots of the o-line of G, C, G.

If the offensive line can remain healthy this offense will up it's PPG by default.

And Timmons loves the whopping $11M guaranteed that we dumped in his lap despite being possibly miscast for our defense while Pittsburgh declined to extend his former contract. Of course he is an upgrade over anyone in our LB corps, but he's got a lot to prove for his new team.

27. Anvil35

What you just said has nothing to do with my original point! I said there was a reason the Steelers let him walk. Stop talking just to talk dude!!

28. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Awwee...did the bad man disagree with you?

"The Steelers did not sign Timmons last summer, and he could test the open market for the first time in his career," Fittipaldo wrote. "He is durable and played well last season after some slippage in 2015. The Steelers won’t want to spend big money on an aging player. Timmons will turn 31 in May, but if they can get him for around $5 million to $6 million a year on a short-term deal they’ll likely re-sign him."

Last week, it was reported by ESPN's Jeremy Fowler that the Steelers met with Timmons' representatives at the NFL Combine. It appeared that Timmons was destined to land on the open market on March 9, as Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said in February that the team has no issues with Timmons testing the open market for the first time in his career while adding that he ultimately wanted the veteran linebacker back in Pittsburgh.

“Would you love to have him stay? Absolutely. Does it all fit? I think we can make it fit. At what cost? He has to see what his market is," Colbert said of Timmons' situation, per Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "He's never been a free agent, and we have nothing against him finding out. Let's stay in touch as we go through the process.“We'd love to see Lawrence finish his career here, and I think he would, too.”

So please tell us all again why the Steelers wanted him back AT ALL if he was in such steep decline.....(or don't).

29. Anvil35

Who is the bad man?? You...Lol. What is it your partner got your **** on lockdown so you come here to act all big and bad, man. Quite sad...All I said in my original post was that the Steelers let him walk for a reason and you cant argue with that, so you keep acting like some kid that got his lollipop taken...you sure are a rookie!!! Here is my original post for your to re-read:

I get your point on Timmons because there is a reason the Steelers let him walk, but anything is better than having Paysinger and Jenkins trying to act like linebackers.

Dont see how one can argue with anything in that post.