FOX - Linebackers and DB's Looking Good | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FOX - Linebackers and DB's Looking Good

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
For those of you who missed the FOX article, check out some positive news below on our linebackers and DB's.

OLB Eddie Moore is moving effectively now that a torn ligament in his left foot has healed. The injury kept Moore out all of last season. As a result, Moore appears destined for a backup spot. Coordinator Jim Bates says Moore will have to play "lights-out" to beat out Morlon Greenwood for the starting strongside spot. Greenwood had the best season of his career last year and is primed for another strong year.

New FS Antuan Edwards (Packers) has displayed great intuitive coverage skills, snaring three interceptions in a three-day minicamp. Edwards fits the profile of what the Dolphins like in a safety. He's a former cornerback who has the ability to line up in man coverage and the quickness to pick up receivers when playing off.

CORNERBACKs ANALYSIS

CB Patrick Surtain is an elite cover man. He has a wonderful combination of quickness and strength and fits perfectly in the team's press coverage system. Surtain also is a willing tackler in run support. This season, the Dolphins intend to use him against slot receivers in nickel and dime packages because of his ability to change directions and play in open space. Fellow starter Sam Madison has lost some of his recovery speed in recent years and is an inconsistent tackler against the run. The Dolphins hope free agent Reggie Howard (Panthers) will provide great depth. Howard and rookie Will Poole have great upper-body strength, as do Madison and Surtain.

ThunderCane said:
wow, a postive review for the Dolphins!

About damn time don't ya think?

Yea more positive media coverage like that and it should change the outlook on this team

It is great to read some positive commentary on these two positions for the Fins. As a fan, I can only hope and pray this author knows what he is talking about! Thanks for sharing the article!

An article which highlights Edwards and, in another thread, positive comments about Yeremiah Bell lighting it up in the early mini-camps. Arturo Freeman, the presumptive starter when Marion was let go, seems conspicuous by his absence from remarks doesn't he?

FinFan57 said:
OLB Eddie Moore is moving effectively now that a torn ligament in his left foot has healed. The injury kept Moore out all of last season. As a result, Moore appears destined for a backup spot. Coordinator Jim Bates says Moore will have to play "lights-out" to beat out Morlon Greenwood for the starting strongside spot. Greenwood had the best season of his career last year and is primed for another strong year.

I like that.

I'm wondering something. If we currently have four starting linebackers what other positions would we need besides the obvious giant nose tackle like Ted Washington, to use a 3-4 defense. When I say four starting LB's i'm talking about JS, ZT, EM, MG. I mean he did say MG had his best year last year, and if Moore plays lights out then why not. I know there are allot of people against it but I think it can be very affective, especially against the screen and the Pats love that damn screen play. We all know they will use it more now that they have Dillon. I know most teams can't pull off the 3-4 defense though, what do you all think?

No way we go to a 3-4. In that defense your ends have to be much larger and ILB's have to take on linemen. Our DE's relie on speed around the edge, when you are inside the OT's there is no edge. Zack is an animal from sideline to sideline because Timbo et al keep most O Linemen off him. I hear what you are saying but the make-up of our DT's, DE's, and LB's is all predicated on a 4-3 defense.

It would be nice to have that kind of quality depth a LB and the DB's are really top notch in the NFL

Back
Top Bottom