Freaking 49ers........... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Freaking 49ers...........

St. Nick

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
:fire:

They deserve to be last in the NFL for a change.

How did that team get SO lucky to have a QB like Montana and then replace him with a QB like Young? They won like 5 Superbowls between them? :yell:

Who does Marino get replaced with? Jay Feilder. :cry:

Even The Broncos got 2 Superbowls and a couple appearances out of John Elway.

33 yrs...........it just ain't right. :yell: :fire: :cry:

Well probably because the Niners were prepared for when Montana retired/got hurt/left via free agency. We weren't. Jimmy ignored the glaring need.

No, they lucked into the young thing. Thats kinda like saying we were set up if mitchell had stayed on.

Wildbill3 said:
No, they lucked into the young thing. Thats kinda like saying we were set up if mitchell had stayed on.

Not quite.....Bill Walsh knew Montana wasnt going to last forever which is why he picked up Young from the Bucs. His system was that good to where you could plug in a guy after another. Not taking anything away from Young or Montana but they were system guys(Montana more so than Young). Need proof? Young wasn't even a QB in the USFL he was a RB, then when he went to Tampa Bay how good was he? Not good to say the least. Montana was how good when he went to the Chiefs? Not good...fair ill give him.(yes i know he had an elbow injury but so what Marino had a frikkin achilles injury and came back like a bat outta hell). I hope Saban can pull a Walsh here. :D

merlin00069 said:
Not quite.....Bill Walsh knew Montana wasnt going to last forever which is why he picked up Young from the Bucs. His system was that good to where you could plug in a guy after another. Not taking anything away from Young or Montana but they were system guys(Montana more so than Young). Need proof? Young wasn't even a QB in the USFL he was a RB, then when he went to Tampa Bay how good was he? Not good to say the least. Montana was how good when he went to the Chiefs? Not good...fair ill give him.(yes i know he had an elbow injury but so what Marino had a frikkin achilles injury and came back like a bat outta hell). I hope Saban can pull a Walsh here. :D

I didnt know Young was A rb in the usfl.........
What did the niners give up for Young anyway

Steveo 90 said:
I didnt know Young was A rb in the usfl.........
What did the niners give up for Young anyway

I actually think he was a F/A in 87 when they picked him up but he was so bad in Tampa Bay he didn't have alot of options but to sit behind Montana. Yea not alot of people know about that USFL thing. Heres to random knowledge. Cheers!

Check that they had to give up a second and a fourth to get him, i guess he was a restricted f/a. There ya go, the whole story. :D

merlin00069 said:
Need proof? Young wasn't even a QB in the USFL he was a RB, then when he went to Tampa Bay how good was he?
No, he was taken by the LA Express as a QB

Here are his passing stats:

1984 LA * 12 12 310 179 57.7 2361 10 9 7.62 80.6 79 515 6.5 7 3 48
1985 LA * 13 0 250 137 54.8 1741 6 13 6.96 63.1 56 368 6.6 2 0 12

So you are going to tell me that a guy who was only four or five years younger than than montana was going to be projected to be his replacement? (wasn't montana drafted 79? and then if young had been drafted by the Nfl it would've be 85 or 84?)

Maybe I'm just plain wrong, and things did work out for them, but shouldn't you draft a qbs replacement that is a little younger than that so you can have a few more good years out of them?

Celtkin said:
No, he was taken by the LA Express as a QB

Here are his passing stats:

1984 LA * 12 12 310 179 57.7 2361 10 9 7.62 80.6 79 515 6.5 7 3 48
1985 LA * 13 0 250 137 54.8 1741 6 13 6.96 63.1 56 368 6.6 2 0 12

YES he was a QB/RB i knew someone would bring this up. He was the first QB to throw for 300 and run for 100.....he was listed as a RB for some time....dammit i need to find where i saw it. He was taken as a QB but he was a RB also. Ill find his rushing stats also which are more impressive than his passin in the USFL.

Wildbill3 said:
So you are going to tell me that a guy who was only four or five years younger than than montana was going to be projected to be his replacement? (wasn't montana drafted 79? and then if young had been drafted by the Nfl it would've be 85 or 84?)

Maybe I'm just plain wrong, and things did work out for them, but shouldn't you draft a qbs replacement that is a little younger than that so you can have a few more good years out of them?

Well they practically stole him for the 2 draft picks and they caught Young with mad experience in the USFL and a few years in the NFL.I think it was a low low risk thing they did with only upside to it. If Montana stays healthy and does great youve lost barely anything, but if he gets hurt(like he did) you have a good QB ready to plug in. Talent he always had, and he was a steal for them. Id say it worked out pretty good for them. Another SB ring and i think 7 winning seasons under Young, all with at least 10 wins.

merlin00069 said:
Well they practically stole him for the 2 draft picks and they caught Young with mad experience in the USFL and a few years in the NFL.I think it was a low low risk thing they did with only upside to it. If Montana stays healthy and does great youve lost barely anything, but if he gets hurt(like he did) you have a good QB ready to plug in. Talent he always had, and he was a steal for them. Id say it worked out pretty good for them. Another SB ring and i think 7 winning seasons under Young, all with at least 10 wins.
well that is kinda why I said they lucked into him :) I mean if david boston had put up a 1000 season this year, we would've practically stolen him too.

Wildbill3 said:
well that is kinda why I said they lucked into him :) I mean if david boston had put up a 1000 season this year, we would've practically stolen him too.

Well they got lucky with what they paid for him but Walsh knew what he was doing. Like i said he was looking for someone to fit into that west coast system and Young fit like a glove. in fact it was so good i believe Seifert looked like a GREAT coach when he was average. Good ole Walsh system.

Selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the first round (first pick overall) of the 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft.
Acquired: Re-signed by the San Francisco 49ers as a free agent on May 3, 1991.

Steve Young like Doug Williams played on a very bad team....both quarterbacks had extreme talent and both went on with other teams to win superbowls.
For those that would like to know....Jason Campbell is alot like Doug Williams. Very strong armed and mobile enough.

St. Nick said:
:fire:

They deserve to be last in the NFL for a change.

How did that team get SO lucky to have a QB like Montana and then replace him with a QB like Young? They won like 5 Superbowls between them? :yell:

Who does Marino get replaced with? Jay Feilder. :cry:

Even The Broncos got 2 Superbowls and a couple appearances out of John Elway.

33 yrs...........it just ain't right. :yell: :fire: :cry:
IMO Steve Young sucks, he sucked in Tampa and did OK in SF with a GREAT team behind him. Fiedler sucks too.

Back
Top Bottom