Fred Russell our third RB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fred Russell our third RB?

Finsflurry

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
This kid really stands out in camp for 2 particular reasons: he's so much smaller than anyone else, and his speed, acceleration, and jukes are absolutely breathtaking to watch. I've never seen someone stop and start as fast as him since....well, Barry. Granted he'll never be able to be a starter or take any real punishment, but he can do some things with traps, draws, screens, flare's etc. Alot of these he has been doing better than Minor who's also looked real good.

Alex Marvez on Fins Insider also answered a question about Russell.

Q: What are Fred Russell's chances of making the team? Rick Argulo, Smithtown, NY

A: Although only 5-feet-7, Russell has an excellent chance of being the Dolphins' No. 3 running back behind Ricky Williams and Travis Minor. Russell, an undrafted rookie from Iowa, has looked promising during the first three minicamps. He will be competing for a roster spot with Leonard Henry, who is playing in NFL Europe. Russell rushed for 2,619 yards in his final two seasons at Iowa. Henry, who got off to a fast start, has missed the past four games of the NFL Europe season because of a groin injury. Henry may miss the rest of the season before returning to the Dolphins for training camp.

Given his recent standout performances in camp and Henry's injury, if he continues to impress while Henry struggles at all with his comeback, I think you will see Fred Russell used maybe 2-3 times a game to wreak some havoc on the D. Just some food for thought, lemme know what you guys think of his chances.

If he can contibute as much as Kirby Dar-Dar and Quinten Spotwood, we may have found a real player.

Damn minny camp legends...

LOL very true. Right now everyone looks good so if he keeps it up and Henry is still hurting, then we may not have a choice as to the third RB.

Kirby Dar Dar, provided a few years of excellent special teams play. He was a really good flyer.

Again, this is something Drew said on Sunday Nighton the Autohaus Sports Shows. He said he has a very good chance of making this team because of his style of play and how he is playing. He also said that we may not know who he is, but we will most likely know once the season begins.

Minor souldn't be consider a lock to make the roster.

In my opinion we will have
williams
minor
henry
and russel
make the team

The only ways Russell will make the roster is if either Minor or Henry get injured during TC (I know Henry is injured now but I haven't heard anything about him missing TC) or if he is the best returner on the roster and makes the team because of that.

minus said:
Minor souldn't be consider a lock to make the roster.

Yes he should because If RW ever goes down, he is the only one who has proven to be able to handle starting duties.

Prime Time said:
Yes he should because If RW ever goes down, he is the only one who has proven to be able to handle starting duties.

Minor is a lock to make the roster IMO but he hasn't proven he can handle starting duties. HE HAS NEVER STARTED A GAME AS A MIAMI DOLPHIN! No one on our roster besides Ricky has ever started a game. You can't say he has proven he can step in and start when he has never started. Minor has done well in a reserve role but we don't know how he would do as a starter.

I'm really hoping the kid can return kicks...if so, his odds improve tremendously.

Minor has proved he's a very good backup, and I think that on certain teams he could easily be a starting RB. I'm confident our running game will still be intact in the horrendously awful case that Ricky goes down. KNOCK ON WOOD.

Russell will be awound in some fashion. He gives the offense or special teams too many options to discard him. If he doesn't beat out Henry for the 3rd spot, he will be on special teams which is where he should be from the beginning. He is by far the fastest one on the team, and he can break ankles with his moves.

The competition should bring out the best in everyone. Minor, Henry, and Russell should all get a lot of carries in the preseason if Dave chooses to rest Ricky like he did last year. May the best two win!

Back
Top Bottom