Fred Russell our third RB? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fred Russell our third RB?

iceblizzard69 said:
Minor is a lock to make the roster IMO but he hasn't proven he can handle starting duties. HE HAS NEVER STARTED A GAME AS A MIAMI DOLPHIN! No one on our roster besides Ricky has ever started a game. You can't say he has proven he can step in and start when he has never started. Minor has done well in a reserve role but we don't know how he would do as a starter.

This is true, but didn't Minor have some big games in 2001 when Lamar Smith was struggling? I know he didn't start, but I seem to remember him doing quite well, particularly in a game at Indianapolis.

DolphinzD said:
This is true, but didn't Minor have some big games in 2001 when Lamar Smith was struggling? I know he didn't start, but I seem to remember him doing quite well, particularly in a game at Indianapolis.

Minor has been good for us. I was just making a point that he has never proven that he could start for us because he has never started a game and we don't know how he would play if he got 20-25 carries a game, and if he could handle the beating of starting. I like Minor as a backup and a guy you stick on the field when Ricky needs to take a few plays off.

I haven't seen whatever it is you guys see in Minor and I know we're all watching the same games. He's an oversized scatback type of player that isn't quick enough to be a true scatback. It wouldn't take a lot from Fred Russell for me to throw him in at third down back, cut Minor and make Henry the #2 back.

SmokeyPhinz said:
Sounds like another Dante Hall. Works for me! :cooldude:
Thats what I first thought...and they seem to have the same build:

Fred Russell:

Height: 5-7
Weight: 192

Dante Hall:

Height: 5-8
Weight: 187

I believe that Russell's 40 time was 4.55.

I went and looked at what SI said about him pre-draft:

POSITIVES: Tough, explosive ball carrier with outstanding instincts. Runs low to the ground, has darting style and sets up defenders, then makes them miss. Elusive, bounces to the outside, avoiding piles and displays the ability to freeze opponents, cuts back against the grain and find the open spot in a defense. Outstanding running vision, has a burst through the hole and runs hard on the inside.

Sounds Dante Hall-ish to me. Course, I'm an optimist so I'm easily swayed. If we could have him be a kick/punt returner I think we'll have a real threat at that position.:D

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
huh, i thought his 40 was faster
He's more quick than fast. Another good comparison is Quentin Griffin of the Broncos. They have the same height, weight, and 40 time.

Phinz4Life said:
Dlophins SUCK
:shakeno: Sorry, at school, got some autistic people in my class that like to mess with things. See? He mispelled an easy word. Sorry, I'll beat him in a minute.

FOR THE RECORD: That wasn't me posting.

Phinz4Life said:
:shakeno: Sorry, at school, got some autistic people in my class that like to mess with things. See? He mispelled an easy word. Sorry, I'll beat him in a minute.

FOR THE RECORD: That wasn't me posting.

Must be a Bills fan....... :goof:

Phinz4Life said:
Minor has proved he's a very good backup, and I think that on certain teams he could easily be a starting RB. I'm confident our running game will still be intact in the horrendously awful case that Ricky goes down. KNOCK ON WOOD.

Yeah I'm just wondering what team you think Minor could start for? Yes, I'll agree he's a good back up but I'll have to agree with most here and say that he is very unproven. Being a back-up and being a starter are two completely different things. (Just ask Fiedler...) I think Minor provides good relief and a change of pace from Ricky, but imagine what the change would be like going from Williams to Russel. Now that would be a huge change of pace, and if Russel can prove himself, I think that Russell could be used to throw off defensive schemes a few times a game.

I also don't think Minor should be a lock to make the roster...but I do think he will. And it may not even be because he is the best back for the job, but just because he has been around the longest and everyone expects Minor to be the back up. I think it's time someone else got a chance to show what/if they've got.

I don't get why Minor should be a lock to make this roster. I can't think of 1 good reason why he is a lock. Ricky is a lock. Minor should have to work his a$$ off to make the team. If Russell shows he is a good/great return guy then he has to make the team. Assuming this team will only carry 3 backs, that leaves Minor to battle with Henry for the number RB spot. If Henry is healthy by TC I think he could beat out Minor. Travis Minor is not a good enough football player to be consider a lock to make the roster. Minor has been OK when he has played but to call him a lock is either blind loyalty or poor player evaluation. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom