Free Agency: Fool's Gold

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by tonto_phin, Dec 19, 2006.

1. tonto_phin

tonto_phin Guest

Just look at the Washington Redskins, Pittsburg Steelers and the New England Patriots for the lessons

with all the cap room teams are going to have next year, the smart money is going to go after the lesser knowns and not overpay

remember Damien Woody?, we dodged a bullet there. there will be quite a few Woody's out there

we need to find Andre Goodman's equivalent at say G and LB

perhaps we could snag a RFA too, one who is tendered too low and upgrades us somewhere

2. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

*Drunk*

So, disclaimer........FAs are for gap-filling.

It all depends on position.

3. PHANTASTIC 13

PHANTASTIC 13 Seasoned Veteran

I think you can still sign a player who can make a big impact in FA, remember when the Dolphins signed Keith Jackson? He played great for us and I think Tony Gonzalez would make a huge difference in the red zone. Deon Sanders helped the 49ers and Cowboys win some championships, Wilbur Marshall with the Redskins, Charles Haley with the Cowboys. To say you can only find reserve players and role players is a ridiculous statement to make.

4. DolfinDave

DolfinDave FinHeaven VIP

Yeah I agree that we shouldn't break the bank for any free agent unless he is very young and reguarded by everyone as an elite player. Considering those two things rarely ever come in the form of a free agent, I don't think we have to worry about that. We should use free agency to fill a need or two here and there and to add depth.

5. tonto_phin

tonto_phin Guest

that's not what I said

my point was that smart buyers will be staying away from the big tickets

supply and demand, look into it

6. Joneal7

Joneal7 Heheheheheheheh

i beleive the redskins buys there team in free agency...

and looking at the pats, steelers...they have had some pretty good drafts in the past and built there team through the draft..which is what i want us to do..but if we have a shot at a Briggs, Thomas, Clements, Samuel type i think we should give it a shot to sign them

7. late again

late again Pro Bowler

Hmmm... Brees seems to be helping the Saints, too.

8. tonto_phin

tonto_phin Guest

nobody overpaid for Brees because he was injured, if he hadn't been injured he would have never been an FA

apples and oranges

Brees is a warrior and is the exception while the rule is the mercenary who played great in antcipation of a big payday

I keep trying to set expectations to a realistic level, but the instant gratification crowd stays in denial

9. Phinzone

Phinzone FinHeaven VIP

hard to deal with isn't it? NOBODY acknowledges that teams don't turn around on a dime. They pull out examples like lovie (who inherted a team that had sucked for a decade). We've hit rock bottom, and are on our upswing, but it takes TIME. We were contenders, we aren't anymore. It takes ONE man getting adequate time to build a good corp of players. Saban is that man, but he needs more than 2-3 years. It'll take 5-6.

10. BgBruthaJuvi

BgBruthaJuvi Well-Known Member

It won't take 5-6 years if you know what you're doing. I feel Saban is the man for the coaching job but his GM skills are lacking. Sean Payton brought in 27, or was it 37, new players, had a great draft and suddenly the worst team in the NFL is now looking at a first round bye in one season. Not something you would expect, but Saban doesn't have 5-6 years. I'd give him another year or two before I ask him to hand back the GM duties.

11. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Im a Saban fan, and,Iagree.

12. MarinoForPres

MarinoForPres Pro Bowler

there will be some key guys out there its just us bringing in the right ones

13. KingCrowder

KingCrowder Perennial All-Pro

It's looking like you may be able to put the 49ers in the catagory of teams who turned on a dime.

14. Phinzone

Phinzone FinHeaven VIP

When's the last time the 49ers were considered a viable threat? The last time they had a winning season was in 2002. A new coach doesn't mean a new team, the team suffered for 3 straight years as a pile of steaming poo in the NFL.

Bears? They've had 2 winning seasons out of the past 5 (this will make 3 of 6).

The lesson..ALL teams take their lumps. Saban just got here to correct the problem, all teams seem to take a 2-3 year suck period before an upswing. Saban inherited a bad team in really bad financial shape. You have to give him time. He had to build a team with few picks, and no money.

15. patswho?

patswho? winner

today?

16. patswho?

patswho? winner

made me cry

17. DefensiveEnd#76

DefensiveEnd#76 Football Guru

Andre Goodman?? You mean the Andre Goodman who was torched for 2 touchdown passes vs. Buffalo and was beaten on other passes as well. Yeah that will get you a 6-8 record. I think I'll pass on the Andre Goodmans of the NFL.

18. 34isback

34isback Well-Known Member

lol there are a few woodies out there. classic

19. darrensls1

darrensls1 Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure about that. I remember reading about some big controversies between Brees and the SD front office after they drafted Rivers. IMO Brees was feeling like they were all ready planning his replacement as the starter and wasn't feeling confident about his job.

I have a feeling that even if Brees had not been hurt he still would have been looking for a new home. As if to say "Now you can start your new golden boy and I'll win my SB somewhere else".

Of course we'll never know now.

20. Aussiefinfan54

Aussiefinfan54 Pro Bowler

i dont think we should overspend for FA but i deffinantly think that you can get some really good starting players for your team if you shop around, not to mention you know what most of them are capable of in the NFL unlike in the draft where it potentially is pot luck at who will be good and bad in the big time.

21. PhinsRock

PhinsRock A True Fan

Agree give Saban one more year and if he doesn't make the right personnel moves he should let Mueller take over and actually perform his GM duties. And yes I am a Saban supporter & fan.

22. phinphanforever

phinphanforever Banned forever.... Hammered

Paytin has done a masterful job in NO but I don't think it is a fair comparison. The Saints actually had quite a bit of talent and cap space on their team when Payton took the job ( more so than when Saban inherited the Dolphins). They also had Reggie Bush land in their laps. R Brown is a very good football player, and was definitely the right choice for that year, but R Bush is something special.
    The most important difference, however, is that the Saints play in a weak division, and a very weak conference. I would argue that 8 of the top ten teams in the NFL are in the AFC, and that the AFC East is one of the top three divisions in the league.
    I think we need to have a little patience with Saban. I remember last year, a lot of people were criticising Saban's draft but many of these players have developped into solid pros.

23. YBell37

YBell37 Banned Hammered

We had Andre Goodman's equivalent at G- his name was Taylor Whitley.

There's nothing wrong with signing big name free agents if you get them at the right time in their careers. Briggs, Steinbach and Gonzalez would upgrade this team big time.

Miami's OL isn't mediocre- the quality of thought in this forum is.

24. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

J.J. traded for Charles Haley.

25. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Exactly how hard is it to realize that the core of players has been there for NO. As I recall the past couple of seasons they have been expected to make noise but always collapsed. No way in hell did they turn on a dime as has been implied.

26. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Drew Brees anyone? Trade/Free Agency = same thing. It works wonders

27. DolphanD

DolphanD A True Fan

N.O. also got lucky with the absolute find of the draft in WR Marques Colston. They also made a good move in trading for C Jeff Faine. And as for Drew Brees, he was on pace to pass for 5,000 yards and is probably going to be the NFL MVP. We could've have had our next legitimate replacement for Dan Marino and he wouldn't have costed us a 2nd round pick. A pick we could have used to draft a very solid player, instead of a QB who may never be 100% again. But with our OC Brees most likely would not be having the season he is right now if he were with the Dolphins and their short passing attack.

28. bluehaze

bluehaze A True Fan

Catchy title! And so appropriate, FA is fools gold, Welker is a FA do you think we are going to let him go? Hell no :lol: The same can be said for every other player going into FA it looks good in the beginning but as soon as the respective teams resign their Welkers then what do you have left? A bunch of players that other teams didn't think were worth the money.

Occasionally you might get the player that a team just couldn't afford to keep but if a player is really that much of a difference maker these teams would find a way to keep them.

FA is a trap, it's a way to put your team in cap hell and ensure a mediocre future. It's like giving your wife a credit card and sending her to the mall!

29. chris66

chris66 Scout Team

most teams are under the cap this year I think there will be very few free agents this year. there is probably 15 teams that have at least 20mil in cap space.

30. westernnyphinfa

westernnyphinfa FinHeaven VIP

Agree with you 100%

31. Section126

Section126 FinHeaven VIP

Completely disagree.

You just have to spend "smart".

The Dolphins in fact proved it before.

The Fins had a "declining" secondary one year...and they went out and signed Michael Stewart and Gene Atkins. They instantly became a playmaking secondary and helped make that Dolphin Team (94') a contender.

Keith Jackson of course...

etc...etc...

It is not a way to just fill in every spot. It is a way to get that ONE guy that can make a difference.

32. Phinzone

Phinzone FinHeaven VIP

Yes, today they are a threat, but BEFORE this season it was 2002. That's not turning on a dime, that's 3-4 years of sucking the bottom of the NFL totem pole.

We've been at the bottom for going on 3 seasons now, give it another year or two before we rush judgement. Teams don't make a legitimate turnaround overnight. And by legitimate I mean being a real good team, not just a fluke run, then back to obscurity.

33. Regan21286

Regan21286 Wa Wa Wee Wa

Thing is. You've got to have good scouting, good analysis, and some good luck as well when it comes to FA. If there's a can't miss guy like Adalius Thomas or Lance Briggs, we have to sign them if they can play a pivotal role for us. And then we have to hope they don't get injured ala LaVar Arrington.