Front Seven Scenario for Draft Day | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Front Seven Scenario for Draft Day

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
To understand what i think the dolphins "needs" are, it's important to understand two things. One, the front office loves Pennington but they are building this to be Chad Henne's team. I think we all know that and I think it's something to be tremendously excited about. The second thing is by talking about the need for pass rushers with the media, it appears Sparano is saying they want an outside linebacker badly and will take one high in the draft. I disagree. I think it's inside linebacker that's the need position and they want an impact guy with size that can bring the blitz and really hold down the point of attack. I think they're really excited about Wake, Roth is very underrated and Anderson/Walden are quality depth.

With that being said, nose tackle is as big of an immediate need and I don't think that's being talked about enough. They can't rely on Jason Ferguson to stay healthy and take on the top offensive lines week after week. The 3-4 defense, this 3-4 defense has to be built around a huge, dominant, violent nose tackle. That's why they kept Soliai even after suspending him twice; because these guys are such a rare breed and it's never been so clearly evidenced as looking at this year's draft. There are so few prospects this year that can be realistically projected to be a Vince Wilfork-Haloti Ngata-Kris Jenkins type of guy. I am very curious to know what the trifecta thinks of Ron Brace. He's a 6-3 334 pounder that could be in tremendous demand in the late first round to early second round. It's very possible someone will reach for him because he fits the NT mold. It's also very possible that he's a very underrated prospect and may actually turn out to be a top interior player. I like him because he's aggressive, he has some of that violent flare that's so necessary at the position. Like I said, I really want to know what they think of him.

As of right now, I think Miami will work really hard to trade down from #25. If they can successfully do that, I think they'll take a guy like Connor Barwin or Clay Matthews and project him to ILB (like I talked about above). Then maybe trade up for Brace. For me, the dream scenario is moving down 6-7 picks and picking up an extra 3rd rounder; selecting Barwin or Matthews. Then, trading one of our 3rd's to move up in the second round and grab Brace. That would give us a potentially excellent front seven with a lot of tools and exciting young players.

Cornerback and Wide Receiver will be the priority for the next picks after they shore up the front seven. We're going to find out a lot of what they really think of Brandon London and Jason Allen by what they do on draft day. If they don't take a corner high, don't think they are neglecting the position. They may already think they have their guys at positions a lot of us think are the major needs. Like OLB. And maybe corner or receiver. Maybe.

The truth is though, It's fun to think like this but this stuff is so hard to project. And that's what makes this so exciting. Guys, get ready because this team is going to be extremely aggressive on draft day; moving around, getting as many picks as possible and taking great value players.

Just my two cents and what I'm thinking right now. Will probably change many times in anticipation for the draft.

-Bo

To understand what i think the dolphins "needs" are, it's important to understand two things. One, the front office loves Pennington but they are building this to be Chad Henne's team. I think we all know that and I think it's something to be tremendously excited about. The second thing is by talking about the need for pass rushers with the media, it appears Sparano is saying they want an outside linebacker badly and will take one high in the draft. I disagree. I think it's inside linebacker that's the need position and they want an impact guy with size that can bring the blitz and really hold down the point of attack. I think they're really excited about Wake, Roth is very underrated and Anderson/Walden are quality depth.

With that being said, nose tackle is as big of an immediate need and I don't think that's being talked about enough. They can't rely on Jason Ferguson to stay healthy and take on the top offensive lines week after week. The 3-4 defense, this 3-4 defense has to be built around a huge, dominant, violent nose tackle. That's why they kept Soliai even after suspending him twice; because these guys are such a rare breed and it's never been so clearly evidenced as looking at this year's draft. There are so few prospects this year that can be realistically projected to be a Vince Wilfork-Haloti Ngata-Kris Jenkins type of guy. I am very curious to know what the trifecta thinks of Ron Brace. He's a 6-3 334 pounder that could be in tremendous demand in the late first round to early second round. It's very possible someone will reach for him because he fits the NT mold. It's also very possible that he's a very underrated prospect and may actually turn out to be a top interior player. I like him because he's aggressive, he has some of that violent flare that's so necessary at the position. Like I said, I really want to know what they think of him.

As of right now, I think Miami will work really hard to trade down from #25. If they can successfully do that, I think they'll take a guy like Connor Barwin or Clay Matthews and project him to ILB (like I talked about above). Then maybe trade up for Brace. For me, the dream scenario is moving down 6-7 picks and picking up an extra 3rd rounder; selecting Barwin or Matthews. Then, trading one of our 3rd's to move up in the second round and grab Brace. That would give us a potentially excellent front seven with a lot of tools and exciting young players.

Cornerback and Wide Receiver will be the priority for the next picks after they shore up the front seven. We're going to find out a lot of what they really think of Brandon London and Jason Allen by what they do on draft day. If they don't take a corner high, don't think they are neglecting the position. They may already think they have their guys at positions a lot of us think are the major needs. Like OLB. And maybe corner or receiver. Maybe.

The truth is though, It's fun to think like this but this stuff is so hard to project. And that's what makes this so exciting. Guys, get ready because this team is going to be extremely aggressive on draft day; moving around, getting as many picks as possible and taking great value players.

Just my two cents and what I'm thinking right now. Will probably change many times in anticipation for the draft.

-Bo

Good write up, thanks for sharing. I do think Miami will pick up a WR in this draft, despite what our present group of recievers think. I don't think it's a hit on London, just a need of strength, they can't sit back and hope London get's stronger, if they can draft a strong guy from day one.. at that point London will serve as security. I think we also pick up a TE to complete with Haynos.. Now to the thrust of your comments. The NT is job one for them. Finding one is critical with Ferguson thinking about retirement..and even if Solari can step in, he still needs a backup, and the trifecta's way of thinking, one that can push him or eventually beat him out...that's the kind of competition you want on your team...and then they'll be looking for the guy who can beat the draftee out. We defintely need a blitzing type ILB, that's been missing for years now, Zach was never really good at it..and Channing always one step to slow for whatever reason.. He has great burst, but he takes a half step too many.

With the players on our team right now, we have the luxury of picking the BPA or we can reach for one need player. I think they'd love to pickup one more 2nd rounder, that's where I see the trading out of the 1st pick coming in. There's a lot of potential in the 2nd round for the value. Plus that will help them with their salary cap situation entering 2010.
I see this draft yeilding us a ILB, CB, WR, TE, OL, RB, DE\OLB and DL.

On O, I still see us trying to pick a mauling Guard and of course an upgrade at OT for our present backups. Both Fasano and Martin will be FA's this coming offseason, so I see us looking to get another good TE.. We may not want to try and sign both guys next year. The Rb is for insurance purpose as the R&R duo are FA's next offseason as well. Cobb will be the only RB on contract at season's end unless we extend one of the dynamic duo's..and you can bet it's easier to sign ricky than ronnie. So we need another stud rb.

I see this as a D oriented draft for us.. That's why I have more of them than O in my yeilding set. NT, ILB, and corners will lead this effort in my opinion.. Will Allen is also a FA this coming offseason, and right now our Cap situation doesn't really give us a lot of room to try and extend a lot of these guys, so it's the draft for cheaper labor, and counting them on the 53 man roster that will free up some money to extend some we'd like to make a run with. If we can head into the season with about 10-15m, we'll extend some guys, if we don't make some hard cuts this spring and summer, we won't be extending much of anyone during the season.. so we need to find some studs in this draft to be able to trade or cut some of the guys that will make ppl on this board eyes pop out..:lol:

Back
Top Bottom