GBN: 2006 Dolphins Draft Preview | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

GBN: 2006 Dolphins Draft Preview

TXFinFan

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
http://www.gbnreport.com/2006teampreviews.html

By the numbers:[SIZE=-1]2005 W-L: 9-7; Rankings: Off - 14; R-12; P- 16... Def - 18; R-17; P- 20
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
2006 Picks:
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Total - 6; (1) 16 (3) 82 (4) 114 (7) 212, 226, 233 ... The Dolphins have made it something of a habit of going to the draft with relatively few picks this decade and they are back at again this April. Indeed, the Dolphins currently have only 6 picks, with just 3 coming before the 7th round. Nobody is too worried about the fact that the Dolphins don't have a second rounder this year after they traded it to Minnesota for QB Daunte Culpepper who will be a steal anyway one looks at it if he's ultimately fully healed from a serious leg injury suffered last October. The Dolphins also forfeited their 5th rounder this year when they chose former Southern Cal DT Manual Wright in the NFL's supplemental draft last summer.
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Recent draft history:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]The new Dolphins' regime headed by coach Nick Saban was able to reverse what had been a rather undistinguished drafting record in recent years with a solid draft in 2005. RB Ronnie Brown, the team's first round pick last April, for example, led the team in rushing and looks to really blossom this season with Ricky Williams apparently headed elsewhere. Meanwhile, LB Channing Crowder and CB Travis Daniels, taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds respectively, were both welcome additions to what is an aging defensive unit. The Dolphins had found a few nuggets on draft day in previous years such as TE Randy McMichael (4/2002) and WR Chris Chambers (2/2001), but they were simply too few and too far between. It obviously didn't help that the Dolphins didn't have first round picks in either 2002 or 2003, but even when they did have opening round selections - see OT Vernon Carey in 2004 and CB Jamar Fletcher in 2001 - the results weren't overwhelming.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]2006 Needs:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]As long as he is healthy, the addition of QB Culpepper, a potential Pro Bowler, plugs the biggest gap in the Dolphins' roster, although with Culpepper likely to miss all of training camp and possibly even the early part of the upcoming season, the Dolphins could add a young arm in the later rounds just as extra insurance at the position. The Dolphins have also been trying, without much notable success, to upgrade a leaky offensive line for years. Adding free agent L.J. Shelton brings a big body to the troublesome LT spot, however, the former Cardinals' first rounder didn't exactly set the world afire at either Arizona or a later stop in Cleveland. Meanwhile, Carey at RT and the interior rotation are adequate, but not much more. The Dolphins also have some concerns at WR where Chambers and Marty Booker are a decent enough 1-2 combination, although Chambers always needs to be pushed, while Booker had just 39 receptions last fall. but there is a major drop-off to the next level. Meanwhile, the Dolphins' defense is still solid, but is really starting to show some age. The projected starting front four, for example, average almost 12 years per man in experience, while star MLB Zach Thomas is entering his 11th season. The Dolphins hope to get more out of 2005 draftees DE Matt Roth and DTs Manual Wright and Kevin Vickerson up front, although none of the three played much last fall. The Dolphnis also took some steps to upgrade a soft CB situation, signing veteran free agents Will Allen (Giants), Reynaldo Hill (Oakland) and Andre Goodman (Detroit) to go with promising youngsters Travis Daniels and Will Poole, but the team still lacks a true #1 CB. Indeed, finding a shut down cover corner would probably still rank as the Dolphins' top priority heading into the draft, other than the offensive line. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

Prognosis:The Dolphins were one of several teams eyeing Southern Cal OT Winston Justice, but with limited picks this year the Dolphins do not appear to be in a position to move up into the top 10 to get the fast-rising former Trojan star. And unfortunately, it does not appear there are any other offensive linemen worth the 16th pick overall. The Dolphins, though, are likely to be in a position to select a pretty good CB at that spot such as Tye Hill of Clemson or Florida State's Antonio Cromartie. Meanwhile, the Dolphins may also give a long, hard look at WRs Chad Jackson of Florida or Santonio Holmes of Ohio State if either, or both, are still on the board at that spot. Also figure, that without a crushing need to fill with their #1 pick this year, the Dolphins could also listen very intently to offers to trade down. Indeed, in a relatively deep draft, the Dolphins could quite literally move down into the second round and still come away with a quality prospect - for example, either of OTs Eric Winston of Miami or Marcus McNeill of Auburn - along with picking up some much needed extra picks to help fill in the gaps between the 1st and seventh rounds.
[/SIZE]

They're overstating the OL issues, but besides that its a pretty good analysis.

I think everyone vastly underestimates our O-line, while it is obviously not a great unit it proved last year to be more than adequate.

i agree with what they said about cromartie and winston. it would be great to trade down, even if we only came away with one of those.

BlueFin said:
I think everyone vastly underestimates our O-line, while it is obviously not a great unit it proved last year to be more than adequate.

With Shelton we will be even better this year. Plus another year of coaching by Houck.

if we DO get LaVar then we need to go WR as we only have 2 options and no more then that and like they said, push CC and we need S badly along with DT in my opinion but i WOULD take Cromartie (SP)

What they are overstating is the db situation...

I believe they are overstating both the ol and db situation. Miami will draft a safety and a corner, but not in the first rd. I am convinced it will be a wr, nt, or lb. This summary is more about their own opinion and less on what strong analysis of Saban and his draft philosophy. Saban himself (possibly in a misleading manner) has indicated the need for a #3 wr, nose tackle and linebacker. There is incredible value for cbs, but I just do not see it.

Lee2000:confused:

Lee2000 said:
I believe they are overstating both the ol and db situation. Miami will draft a safety and a corner, but not in the first rd. I am convinced it will be a wr, nt, or lb. This summary is more about their own opinion and less on what strong analysis of Saban and his draft philosophy. Saban himself (possibly in a misleading manner) has indicated the need for a #3 wr, nose tackle and linebacker. There is incredible value for cbs, but I just do not see it.

Lee2000:confused:

yea it will be WR LB first then NT (depending on LAVAR) and CD/S in round 3 and 4

Back
Top Bottom