Give me the safest first round pick... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give me the safest first round pick...

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Can you guys name the safest first round pick. Not based on potential or strictly measure from the combine. A football player, and possibly one that Saban is quite familiar with. I will give you a few choices in no order of priority.

1. Donte Whitner S Ohio State
2. Demarco Ryans LB Alabama
3. Chad Greenway LB Iowa
4. Ernie Sims LB Florida State
5. Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State
6. Kamerion Wimbley DE/LB Florida State
7. Davin Joseph OG Oklahoma
8. DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
9. Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota
10. Manny Lawson DE/LB NC St.

These are my 10 "football players"

Lee2000

1.yes
2.no(too high)
3.no(you either like him or hate him, but I wouldn't draft a WILL LB in the 1st)
4.no (too small for our scheme, and he'll probably be gone)
5.no(I'd like to get him, but he's coming off a serious knee injury)
6.yes
7.no (too high)
8.yes (but we don't need him)
9.no (a lot of people think he's product of the system)
10.yes

guys we could draft that I would throw in are Santonio Holmes and Jonathan Joseph

On that list..

The players with the 'least downside' are Ernie Sims, Kamerion Wimbley, and Manny Lawson. Any would be fine with me. Give me Lawson I guess, as he may have more upside. He could play LB or line up in a down position with 10 more lbs. He is young at 22.

1. Donte Whitner S Ohio State...Size issue. 5'10" 204#.Can he withstand the pro pounding with his aggressive style?
2. Demarco Ryans LB Alabama...Speed issue...4.7 40.
3. Chad Greenway LB Iowa...Speed issue...4.75 40.
4. Ernie Sims LB Florida State
5. Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State...Injury issue...Is the Knee 100%?
6. Kamerion Wimbley DE/LB Florida State
7. Davin Joseph OG Oklahoma...No way at number 16. This guy is a 2nd rounder.
8. DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis...We aren't taking a RB.
9. Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota...See above.

These are expert picks.. they are just guys that produced...

DolfanChris06 said:
Wow He Says He Doesnt Want Chad And Now This Lol
These guys were not workout wonders, but produced on the field.

Lee2000 and no, I don't think all of them are worthy of selection at 16. But I do think the og from Oklahoma will be a good one.

Lee2000

My response to your assessment is this...

WaxOn WaxOff said:
The players with the 'least downside' are Ernie Sims, Kamerion Wimbley, and Manny Lawson. Any would be fine with me. Give me Lawson I guess, as he may have more upside. He could play LB or line up in a down position with 10 more lbs. He is young at 22.

1. Donte Whitner S Ohio State...Size issue. 5'10" 204#.Can he withstand the pro pounding with his aggressive style? Size may be an issue, but what a leader
2. Demarco Ryans LB Alabama...Speed issue...4.7 40. Slower, but one of the smartest backers in the draft
3. Chad Greenway LB Iowa...Speed issue...4.75 40. He made plays.
4. Ernie Sims LB Florida State He made plays and his size didnt get in the way
5. Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State...Injury issue...Is the Knee 100%? I have heard he is doing fine
6. Kamerion Wimbley DE/LB Florida State hustle guy with measures to back up
7. Davin Joseph OG Oklahoma...No way at number 16. This guy is a 2nd rounder. I agree, but I believe he will develop into an excellent player.
8. DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis...We aren't taking a RB. I realize that, but I have seen this guy play and he will do fine somewhere
9. Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota...See above. will do fine somewhere
he is more potential than the rest, but not as much as you would believe; he did perform at NCSt.

I didn't say Miami would select these guys; I just said they are probably going to be very good football players.

Lee2000

Donte Whitner S Ohio State
Ernie Sims LB Florida State
Antonio Cromartie CB Florida State
Kamerion Wimbley DE/LB Florida State
Manny Lawson DE/LB NC St.
Jimmy Williams DB/V Tech
Santonio Holmes WR/Ohio St
Jonathan Joseph CB/So Carolina

Here is my list of potential suitors...some will be long shots because they'll probably be gone by 16.

Keep hearing opions on Lawson are split you either really like him or he is viewed as a 2rd guy.
Have also heard where miami views him as a 2nd rnd player(might be smokescreen to keep teams behind from moving up)
he has become my favorite player in the draft so I feel certain he wont get drafted by miami.

i've heard many reports that miami views lawson as a reach at 16... which leads me to want to believe that it's an elaborate smokescreen set up by the devious nick saban to trick the rest of the nfl gms, scouts and talent evaluators not to take a chance on him early.

In reality, i don't remember any smokescreens (braylon edwards aside... and nick said he DID NOT tell braylon we were drafting him) from last year. We needed an RB and a QB, best qb was taken... we had ronnie as the highest player on our board and we took him. Simple. This year will be no different. I still think greenway's a good bet.

I would like cromartie or lawson as both have incredible physical tools and potential. Most 'freaks' are gone by 16... they would be my glamour picks.

His size should be no worries. Ed Reed is only 5'11" 200lbs, so Whitner will be fine.

"Safe" is hard to predict....you never know if an injury is going to strike up and bite someone. I like Whitner and Holmes both of Ohio State (not a Buckeye homer either) as they always turn out quality players who are NFL ready.

IMO Sims seems the most 'safe' from that list. He's productive and consistent.

Back
Top Bottom