Grant | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Grant

Teams are doing their homework this time of year. The tape doesn't lie. Barkley is an athletic freak, has been his whole life. As freakish as he is, he works very hard to be an even greater athlete,but he just doesn't have the ability to run through tackles, and scouts are scouring tape and finding that out for themselves. As big and fast as he is, he doesn't break tackles like you would expect. Any explosive RB can burst through an open hole. Any fast RB can make the long breakaway run, but what today's NFL wants is yards after contact. They just aren't there for Barkley, not anything like you might expect.

If not for the hype, he would be projected 2nd or 3rd round.

His receiving is top notch, and he is an OK blocker in the few opportunities he had, but he is most definitely not a top 20 pick. He isn't a bust candidate, but he isn't the superstar some are making him out to be.

If we take him at 11 it will be really bad value, but that's kinda how this front office rolls.

He will be long gone before our pick at 11. I would bet on that. Cleveland was two top 10 picks; QB and RB. Both will be bust because....Cleveland

It's hard to say.

Landry is a guy that keeps the chains moving and makes those crucial catches. Grant is an entirely different player, who would give you more big plays and a few more drops as well. Hard to compare them, but even if the team signs Landry I hope they find more ways to get Grant involved.

I missed where I said anything about Grant getting as many targets as Landry? I said he's not a go to receiver. My definition of go to receiver is different than yours and has nothing to do with number of targets. Grant is not a player you can consistently go to when you need a first down or a big play. Grant is a gadget player who should be your 4th or 5th wr option, not even including rb's and tight ends. If Landry leaves and it were up to me, I would sign someone like Jordan Matthews at half the Landry asking price and my top three wrs would be Parker, Stills and Matthews. I would still draft a wr to be 4th on the depth chart, and go into camp with Grant, Ford and Carroo leading the battle for the 5th and maybe 6th spot. I would also like to see the tight end rbs used more in the passing game more. Miami has consistently been toward the bottom of the league in % for targets to running backs or tight ends. If the offense includes these areas more in the passing game in would really decrease the pressure on the o-line in pass protection and would open things up for the outside receivers too.

If you could see my previous Grant post concerning Grant, I've been one of his bigger supporters when people were calling for him to be cut. But going from a deep depth receiver to one of your starting three is a bit much. In fact if Miami added Quadree Henderson from Pitt in the 7th round or as an undrafted wr I have no doubt he could replace Grant in every aspect. Like Grant, Henderson is more of a gadget type receiver but is explosive.

And as far as Landry is concerned I would spend Miami's 2nd round pick on Christian Kirk before I would pay Landry $14 or $15 million. You could sign a free agent guard and linebacker with the money saved.

You gotta be kidding me...

Plus I bet I could find you at least 3 or 4 running backs in this year's class that look more explosive than Henderson.

Last edited:
I remember finding Jakeem on youtube right before the draft. I remember showing his highlights to my Patriot fan neice. I remember us drafting him late and jumping for joy.

Little is the new big...

Other thing to note is that teams are going to be paying a lot more attention to Grant and Drake. We definitely need counter punches and a player like Parker needs to stay healthy and step up big-time. He should be unguardable 1 on 1

Last edited:
I don't know that they're looking at the two players as being linked in any way.

Leonte Carroo is the guy they think of as Jarvis Landry's replacement, and Carroo's being so slow to come along is part of why they're torn about this Landry decision.

They may even view Kenny Stills to be as much or more of a replacement for Jarvis Landry. He's always been particularly good from the slot or when hidden in stacks.

I don't know that they're looking at the two players as being linked in any way.

Leonte Carroo is the guy they think of as Jarvis Landry's replacement, and Carroo's being so slow to come along is part of why they're torn about this Landry decision.

They may even view Kenny Stills to be as much or more of a replacement for Jarvis Landry. He's always been particularly good from the slot or when hidden in stacks.
so who would they put on the outside? grant? I also think if we can get a dynamic te it would help things

No, they aren't. Nobody actually thinks that. The targets will be spread around. Dolphins might actually have a good receiving TE or two next year who will take some of those targets.

I am predicting that Saquon Barkley will slide and the Dolphins will take him at #11. He will take a bunch of receiving targets as well. Make no mistake, I hate RB at #11, really hate it! It is however, what I'm predicting.

This draft class is also loaded from top to bottom with excellent prospects at slot receiver. From James Washington to Trey Quinn to Keke Coutee, just loaded all over the place.
I sure hope your right but I just don't see it. 49ers will get him as of definitely if he slides. No way he gets past there. IMO

They don't even play the same position.

Grant proved last year his merit is really on the boundary where he can take the top off with ease.

Juice is obviously a slot. And we knows his strengths etc...

Now a few times we lined Grant up at RB for a screen and we had some other real creative ways to get him in space. So I like that idea a lot....

But when talking about them as Wrs, Grant is not a slot.

Carroo is more likely then anyone to get more run in the slot as it stands right now...

so who would they put on the outside? grant? I also think if we can get a dynamic te it would help things

That's exactly where they moved Grant prior to the start of the season. The figured out he has more to offer on the perimeter, similar to Tyreek Hill.

One thing is for sure most teams aren't going to leave their DB 1 on 1 with Grant on the outside. He's going to easily force safeties to pay more attention to that side of the field. Which will create opportunities on the field. Do we have enough other players to take advantage of it? Can Parker win his 1 on 1 opportunities? Can Kenny Stills?

Last edited:
Miami spent the last 4 seasons with Landry as their #1 WR and the main focus of their offense. He made a lot of catches and gained a lot of yards. Sure, his stats are good, but how did he help the team's overall success? He didn't. They still had a poor offense. Let another team overpay for Landry, and let Grant and Carroo share the workload. Besides, too many passes went to Landry because the o-line sucks and Cutler couldn't go deep. When they made the playoffs, it was because Tannehill made plays to Stills, which helped open up the running game. Throw downfield more, and run more (after you fix this crummy o-line); that's the key. Throwing so many short passes has resulted in too many 3 and outs. Landry's replacement should have chances for big plays once defenses have to account for the deep ball and the running game. If the next slot receiver gets a lot of catches, then Gase and his playcalling need to go!

Spot on!

Sadly....an argument could be made that Tony Lippett should get wide receiver snaps over some of the guys we are discussing.

Back
Top Bottom