Great Mike Mayock Mock Draft - Our 2a Draft Pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great Mike Mayock Mock Draft - Our 2a Draft Pick

eckonice

Offensive Future
Reaction score
Heres the link to Mike Mayock's 1st round Mock Draft:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80798422

I think he did a great job predicting the first round (it's amazing how talented an analyst he can be when he has his head out of Matt Ryan's butt), and had those few surprising picks that also made sense that we see every year. Among them are Brandon Albert to the Patriots, Jerod Mayo to the Lions, and Jonathon Stewart to the Panthers. If his predictions are accurate, which I believe them to be, than it appears that the top 7 offensive tackles will be drafted in the first round:

Jake Long - Rams
Brandon Albert - Patriots
Ryan Clady - Broncos
Jeff Otah - Bears
Chris Williams - Texans
Gosder Cherilus - Steelers
Sam Baker - Packers

This becomes somewhat of a dilemma, because were in dire need of some offensive tackle help which ideally we should use with the first pick in the second round (Chris Long was taken with the first overall pick). However I just don't think the value is there with guys like Carl Nicks and Anthony Collins.

So the Question is: Do we reach somewhat and draft whoever is left a tackle, or draft another position and get some pretty good value? Notable guys he has dropping out of the first is Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, Quentin Groves, Antoine Cason, and Kenny Phillips?

I personally would take Malcolm Kelly - he simply presents to much value at this stage of the draft, and address the offensive line with the next picks with guys like Chilo Rachal, Tony Hills, Oniel Cousins, or Roy Scheuning.

What do you guys prefer?

I say if we take Chris Long at #1, and all the OL names listed above are taken by the time we pick again in the 2nd, we go for BPA (we have a lot of needs, so drafted based on need wouldn't be too smart) and see if someone like Duane Brown out of Virginia Tech is available in the 3rd. I've heard some good things about him, and he is a very good OT prospect, just a little raw. Give him time with Sparano and Maser and I think he'll blossom into a very good OT for us for a while.

That being said, I'd prefer to draft Jake Long, as long as our coaching staff and scouts think he can handle the LT position, because we'd be paying him way too much to play RT. I don't care about what all the other scouts are saying, it's what our own coaches and scouts think about him that matters to me.

I'd rather have Jake Long and Quentin Groves than Chris Long and Anthony Collins personally.

I personally would take Malcolm Kelly - he simply presents to much value at this stage of the draft, and address the offensive line with the next picks with guys like Chilo Rachal, Tony Hills, Oniel Cousins, or Roy Scheuning.

What do you guys prefer?

I thinkyou have to go withCason at that point. It is a need and he is going to be a great player IMO.

as for the OL you mentioned, I think all those guys are going to be on the board when we pick 2b and or 3.

I until now thought we needed to go with C. Long but I think I'm leaning more towards Jake Long at #1.
1. Jake Long
2. Antoine Cason
2b. Kid from Purdue... Avril or something like that. I think you can get a guy that can get to the QB later in the 2nd rd. Cason at 32 would be a steal IMO.

Well, if we go by Mayocks mock draft with Chris Long at number one I would prefer Malcolm Kelly at 32. Lot of bust potential with him, but at this point he looks like the most talented WR in the draft...and we certainly need help there. Cason would be a good pick as well.

I would prefer the combination of Jake Long and Quentin Groves though.

Heres the link to Mike Mayock's 1st round Mock Draft:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80798422

I think he did a great job predicting the first round (it's amazing how talented an analyst he can be when he has his head out of Matt Ryan's butt), and had those few surprising picks that also made sense that we see every year. Among them are Brandon Albert to the Patriots, Jerod Mayo to the Lions, and Jonathon Stewart to the Panthers. If his predictions are accurate, which I believe them to be, than it appears that the top 7 offensive tackles will be drafted in the first round:

Jake Long - Rams
Brandon Albert - Patriots
Ryan Clady - Broncos
Jeff Otah - Bears
Chris Williams - Texans
Gosder Cherilus - Steelers
Sam Baker - Packers

This becomes somewhat of a dilemma, because were in dire need of some offensive tackle help which ideally we should use with the first pick in the second round (Chris Long was taken with the first overall pick). However I just don't think the value is there with guys like Carl Nicks and Anthony Collins.

So the Question is: Do we reach somewhat and draft whoever is left a tackle, or draft another position and get some pretty good value? Notable guys he has dropping out of the first is Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, Quentin Groves, Antoine Cason, and Kenny Phillips?

What do you guys prefer?

This should all but ENSURE THAT JAKE LONG WILL BE THE #1 PICK IN THE DRAFT, among "many" more evidences that MIA has shown.

Fans with a little bit of logic should begin to get attached to JAKE LONG already since it all but is a "lock" that he will be a Dolphin a few minutes in on Saturday's draft on the 28th.

I until now thought we needed to go with C. Long but I think I'm leaning more towards Jake Long at #1.
1. Jake Long
2. Antoine Cason
2b. Kid from Purdue... Avril or something like that. I think you can get a guy that can get to the QB later in the 2nd rd. Cason at 32 would be a steal IMO.

Yes, LBs are the easiest things in the world to find. Heck we got Zach in the 5th round and JT was drafted in the 3rd round, for crying out loud. I just don't get where some people have their heads stuck up at? Chris Long? When we have "2" Pro Bowl players at that position "AND" according to BP, a "keeper" in Quentin Moses????!!! An OLB is the easiest position to find in the "later" rounds... heck, Quentin Groves(although we dont need to draft him with "2" pro bowlers and a "keeper" in Moses) is going to be there in the 2nd round!

Jake Long will be MIA's pick. According to MIA beat writer, Armando, he said that Sparano told him that MIA has already made up its mind who they are picking at #1.

He goes on to say that "MIA's front seven is already SET"! And emphasized that "MIA has 'NO', 'ZERO', 'ZILTCH', at R/LT". Can u get any more plainer than that???? Hello, JAKE LONG!

This should all but ENSURE THAT JAKE LONG WILL BE THE #1 PICK IN THE DRAFT, among "many" more evidences that MIA has shown.

Fans with a little bit of logic should begin to get attached to JAKE LONG already since it all but is a "lock" that he will be a Dolphin a few minutes in on Saturday's draft on the 28th.

Mike Mayock's mock draft in which he has us taking Chris Long.... is proof that we're taking Jake Long?

i like Cason at 32 regardless of who we pick at 1. here's my logic....

let's say that we go Chris Long at 1, so we still have a need at OT, i think that a guy like Collins, Nicks, or the kid from VT will still be there at 57, and if not, Greco is available in the 3rd, and i would feel more comfortable with picking them there and maybe missing out on a guy like Gosder Cherilus at 32 because i feel that there is less of a gap between Cherilus and Collins and Nicks than there is between Cason and the rest of the corners projected to go in round two. as for Malcolm Kelly, i dont think he's a smart move, there is plenty of talent at WR in the middle rounds like, Doucet, Jordy Nelson, Paul Hubbard etc... and i dont think that its the best value to draft another WR in the first round (essentially), when we have so many other positions of need, with Ted Ginn, Hagan, and Wilford we have a decent corps of WR's, but we dont have a decent LT and we dont have a solid CB corps.

If Ireland goes QB or OLB at 1. then the Phins either live with VC at LT or reach for Carl Nicks and his associated problems

i like Cason at 32 regardless of who we pick at 1. here's my logic....

let's say that we go Chris Long at 1, so we still have a need at OT, i think that a guy like Collins, Nicks, or the kid from VT will still be there at 57, and if not, Greco is available in the 3rd, and i would feel more comfortable with picking them there and maybe missing out on a guy like Gosder Cherilus at 32 because i feel that there is less of a gap between Cherilus and Collins and Nicks than there is between Cason and the rest of the corners projected to go in round two. as for Malcolm Kelly, i dont think he's a smart move, there is plenty of talent at WR in the middle rounds like, Doucet, Jordy Nelson, Paul Hubbard etc... and i dont think that its the best value to draft another WR in the first round (essentially), when we have so many other positions of need, with Ted Ginn, Hagan, and Wilford we have a decent corps of WR's, but we dont have a decent LT and we dont have a solid CB corps.

Well that's just great.. Not only do you want to take a bunch of steps down by not drafting Jake Long.. But you want to take even more steps down by not wanting to draft Cherilus and waiiting and waiting to draft O-Line later.

Next thing you know we will have a bunch of projects on the O-line. Sound familiar? It's the reason our O-line has sucked for such a long time.

The best thing to do is just draft the clear cut best O-lineman in Jake Long.. Our young offensive guys will thank you for it. Seeing our best young players, who happen to be on offense mind you-- in Ginn, Beck, R Brown, L Booker, Satele, Carey etc will develop much better with such help than any D we draft early. Their development is vital for this team going forward. And no pick will help them develop more than Jake Long #1.

Seeing a bunch of scrubs and Tier 3 projects on the O-line is exactly what our young studs on offense (who are ready to bust out) don't need. Hurting their confidence and not developing may be the end for some of them. And those picks we used to get them will be wasted..

That's just not smart management.

I really like Cason but I dont think we can take a CB at #32 I think we can get Scandrick and Antwaun Molden on day 2 and Tracy Porter would be a good #57 if hes there or even Justin King. Godfrey at #64 is my bet Jake Long and Groves would be great but so would C Long and Nicks. I think Nicks is very underrated. He might even fall to 57 with his run ins with the law. If we take J Long, Groves, Nicks with the first 3 picks that would be a great draft C Long Cherilus Nicks would also work Its whether they think Chris or Jake will be better for the money As far as Wr Jerome Simpson, Kevin Robinson, Aarington , Bowman will be available in 6 and 7 rounds

If all the top tackles are gone including Cherilous and Baker, I think you have to take Sweed or Devin Thomas, or Kelly at #32 if they are available. There just isnt much quality on recievers in this class and those 3 all have first round talent at a position where we could use a big bodied vertical threat.

Back
Top Bottom