Great Offseason Part II | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Great Offseason Part II

Good positive post man. D@mn the naysayers. I agree with 9/10th's of the post. Unfortunately, I think the Chuck rule will cause us some new problems defensively. Offensively, it will probably help us! Go Phins!!!!!!

:) The thoughts on the chuck rule came to mind, but the Fins played more zone last year (and it showed statistically). Hopefully, the DC foresaw this rule being targeted, and began preparing for it. I don't have my stats with me, but I believe our defensive penalties were down in '03. :D

Gary Miles said:
I think the negative stuff needs a break. :shakeno: In my original post "Great Offseason" I wrote about the media and the curse they put on the Fins each year, as well as Norv moving on. :D Here's some reasons why I believe the Fins will be a better team this year.

1. New coaches and offensive coordinator. I feel that Jerry Sullivan is the key here. He demands that the receivers run exact routes, unlike previous years. This is important to the QB and how well they play. Timing will be much better, throwing to a spot will produce more completions. Plus, the QB will actually use the progression to find the open man. This will make Jay or AJ better and more effective.

2. David Boston! His presence will be an impact from day one. With Chambers on one side and DB on the other, the 8 and 9 men in the box that defenses were playing would kill them. Boston may be the answer to the offensive woes,, and Ricky could run wild.

3. O-line changes! If the coaches and FO didn't think they had enough talent to field a better unit, the change would not have occured. This seems to be a big question mark, especially with the media. Thats why I like this change, the media is uncertain, so is our competition!! :D Boston helps this unit out as well, as the line won't have to account for so many defenders in the box.

4. Quarterback competition! Who ever starts will be the best one for the job. See paragraphs 1,2 and 3 and hopefully everyone will see that the changes will only help. Better route running, better timing and less people for the o-line to account for means more time for the QB to read the defense and get the ball to a receiver, who is running an exact route.

5. Ricky!! He is still a premier running back just entering his prime. Many comments have been made by his teammates about him being the best athlete on the team :cool: . If all the above stands true, Ricky could eclipse 2000 yds and 25 TDs, while not having to carry the offense.

6. Since there are so many ??????? about everything by the media and fans, imagine being the defensive coordinator for the Titans! Or any other opponent for that matter. These points could cause alot of problems :cool:

7. Defense. With or without O-gun, still a top five Defense. They have added players that are proven, and drafted some good ones as well.

8. Special teams will be much improved, the draft class will be a big plus in this area.

9. The emphasis on the 5 yard chuck rule will kill New England's scheme. I'm surprised the Colts didn't file rape charges against the Pats DBs in last years playoffs. They will struggle defensively, forced to play by the rules!!!

Hope these thoughts spread some hope for this season, I'm excited and can't wait. Dolphins Rule! :D :D

this is why fin-atic posts are needed.

Justasportsfan said:
this is why fin-atic posts are needed.

Fin-atics posts are his perception of the team the way he looks at it. Although I don't agree with all his comments, they are not completely wrong. His opinion is just as important as anyone's. :tongue: Even yours!
However, negativity breads contempt, as has been the case lately. I don't think one should be called out to justify his opinion :shakeno: . Although my post is just perception on my part based on what I see happening. As a Bills fan, this is not what you want to happen, I can handle that. But if it happens, I'll be laughing loudly as we roll up the "Ws" against our AFC East rivals :lol: Be afraid, very afraid :evil:

Peace! Good luck this season, hope the Bills do better for their fans :cool:

CrunchTime said:
Nice post.However I must point out that the new 5 yrd chuck rule is called the "Dolphin rule " for a reason. Our DBs like to get in the face of the WRs and "chuck" them out of their stride so get ready for a lot of flags coming our way this year.The Pats dont use it as much.
You're right to a certain extent, but I think that rule will affect the Pats more than us because we don't play much zone. When our DBs press they do so within 5-7 yards and then run stride for stride with the reciever they're covering. They play physical but they don't break the recieverrs momentum. I think this will still be OK. What I remember from last year, was the Pats playing zones where they would bump and then slightly hold the reciever as they handed him off to the next zone/DB. The playoff game against the Colts was a prime example of what I think the league wants to eliminate cause it truly isn't fair to the recievers.

Gary Miles said:
Fin-atics posts are his perception of the team the way he looks at it. Although I don't agree with all his comments, they are not completely wrong. His opinion is just as important as anyone's. :tongue: Even yours!
However, negativity breads contempt, as has been the case lately. I don't think one should be called out to justify his opinion :shakeno: . Although my post is just perception on my part based on what I see happening. As a Bills fan, this is not what you want to happen, I can handle that. But if it happens, I'll be laughing loudly as we roll up the "Ws" against our AFC East rivals :lol: Be afraid, very afraid :evil:

Peace! Good luck this season, hope the Bills do better for their fans :cool:
I agree. He does see the posibilites of what can go wrong based on the moves the fins have made while other here see everything as a good move because of their blind faith.

Take for example the post I quoted above, how does replacing a proven OC in Norv w/ an unknown , inexperienced coach make the team automatically better as implied? He calls out Sullivan but Sullivan does not make the gameday decisions. Remember the bills ahd a good run blocking OL and above average rb in Henry and yet when gameday came Gilbride made bonehead calls that didn't mke use of the bills strengths. Do we know anything about your new OC?

As for the rest of his post, easy target. While there are finatic's who see the cons of the moves, there's the opposite who see nothing but great moves. I do however see the potential "IF" all the moves made pan out. Anyone here other than the Pats have had a history of every move in recent years panning out? Darrius, Fletcher, Fiedler? Which moves made this offseason do you think will pan out. Although Wanny has had his success which of this years moves do you think will and will not pan out. Feely? Boston? OL? OC? In fantasy land, all of those moves are great. This is the NFL not fantasy land.

As for finatic's defense, his standards of his team may be a lot higher than others and feels hiring questionable players isn't gonna cut it. I agree especially in the AFCE. Other than James, all the rest have some kind of baggage.

CrunchTime said:
Nice post.However I must point out that the new 5 yrd chuck rule is called the "Dolphin rule " for a reason. Our DBs like to get in the face of the WRs and "chuck" them out of their stride so get ready for a lot of flags coming our way this year.The Pats dont use it as much.

I have heard that the rule was especially for us. We play as physical as any team at the line and coaches were complaining about it. I do look for us to get some penaltys in that area.

It remains to be seen how the refs will intepret this new rule.I beg to differ with you.I think its meant to castigate the "chucks" before the 5-7 yrs line not the transitional zone defense.There is no doubt that Pats got away from strict enforcement of the "pass interference" regulations during the playoffs but I credit it to Pats coaching who knew the refs would be hesitant to make those calls during a playoff game .

Justasportsfan said:
I agree. He does see the posibilites of what can go wrong based on the moves the fins have made while other here see everything as a good move because of their blind faith.

Take for example the post I quoted above, how does replacing a proven OC in Norv w/ an unknown , inexperienced coach make the team automatically better as implied? He calls out Sullivan but Sullivan does not make the gameday decisions. Remember the bills ahd a good run blocking OL and above average rb in Henry and yet when gameday came Gilbride made bonehead calls that didn't mke use of the bills strengths. Do we know anything about your new OC?

As for the rest of his post, easy target. While there are finatic's who see the cons of the moves, there's the opposite who see nothing but great moves. I do however see the potential "IF" all the moves made pan out. Anyone here other than the Pats have had a history of every move in recent years panning out? Darrius, Fletcher, Fiedler? Which moves made this offseason do you think will pan out. Although Wanny has had his success which of this years moves do you think will and will not pan out. Feely? Boston? OL? OC? In fantasy land, all of those moves are great. This is the NFL not fantasy land.

As for finatic's defense, his standards of his team may be a lot higher than others and feels hiring questionable players isn't gonna cut it. I agree especially in the AFCE. Other than James, all the rest have some kind of baggage.

I can't argue with your thoughts for the most part, except the Norv Turner part. The Fins offense didn't get it done the last two years under his leadership. I thought that he was calling too many conservative plays in the second half of games and let the other teams back in. The Fins record speaks for itself the last four years (11-5, 11-5 without Norv, 9-7, 10-6 with Norv). I like the opportunity with a new OC, under the leadership of Wanny, with help from the other offensive coaches. This could be a good team coaching chemistry in the making! :D

I'm not going to get on Finatic about his opinion, I just simply disagree to most of his content, it's just a difference in the way we see things :rolleyes:

As far as the offseason moves, I like them all, baggage or not. The Fins need some adversity to put a boot in their a$$! :D I saw the adversity the Pats started with, and the Panthers for that matter, and they seemed to come out of it alright. Delhomme wasn't a Kelly or Marino at the beginning, he didn't even start the season as the #1, but things worked out well for them, and he played very well against the Pats D in the Bowl.

Just one more thought. Why would the team play up Feeley and play their hand at this point? :confused: Keep the rest of the league wondering, announce who's starting the day of the first game. That's what a good coach would do, play the new guy down and then unleash him :goof:

CrunchTime said:
It remains to be seen how the refs will intepret this new rule.I beg to differ with you.I think its meant to castigate the "chucks" before the 5-7 yrs line not the transitional zone defense.There is no doubt that Pats got away from strict enforcement of the "pass interference" regulations during the playoffs but I credit it to Pats coaching who knew the refs would be hesitant to make those calls during a playoff game .

This isn't a new rule. DB's are allowed to "chuck" within 5 yards. The Fins DBs were very good at that. And yes, they took it alittle further and many times got called. The Pats DBs were "chucking" 10-15 down field and it was very noticable. Indy got killed by these moves, thus the "emphasis" being put on enforcing the rules already in place. Dungy sent the film to front office of the NFL complaining about this very thing, and it was blatant in many Pats games. :fire: That won't happen this year :evil: . Thus the Pats will not repeat :lol:

CrunchTime said:
Yeah, who knows how the zebras are gonna call it. It just seems to me it's the later contact they are trying to address. You can't call pass interference on what the Pats were doing last year cause the ball wasn't in the air.I think it's more of a defensive holding call than anything else. We'll see what happens. Definately gotta give it up to those damn Pat coaches, they can find an edge on a bowling ball.

Gary Miles said:
I think the negative stuff needs a break. :shakeno: In my original post "Great Offseason" I wrote about the media and the curse they put on the Fins each year, as well as Norv moving on. :D Here's some reasons why I believe the Fins will be a better team this year.

1. New coaches and offensive coordinator. I feel that Jerry Sullivan is the key here. He demands that the receivers run exact routes, unlike previous years. This is important to the QB and how well they play. Timing will be much better, throwing to a spot will produce more completions. Plus, the QB will actually use the progression to find the open man. This will make Jay or AJ better and more effective.

2. David Boston! His presence will be an impact from day one. With Chambers on one side and DB on the other, the 8 and 9 men in the box that defenses were playing would kill them. Boston may be the answer to the offensive woes,, and Ricky could run wild.

3. O-line changes! If the coaches and FO didn't think they had enough talent to field a better unit, the change would not have occured. This seems to be a big question mark, especially with the media. Thats why I like this change, the media is uncertain, so is our competition!! :D Boston helps this unit out as well, as the line won't have to account for so many defenders in the box.

4. Quarterback competition! Who ever starts will be the best one for the job. See paragraphs 1,2 and 3 and hopefully everyone will see that the changes will only help. Better route running, better timing and less people for the o-line to account for means more time for the QB to read the defense and get the ball to a receiver, who is running an exact route.

5. Ricky!! He is still a premier running back just entering his prime. Many comments have been made by his teammates about him being the best athlete on the team :cool: . If all the above stands true, Ricky could eclipse 2000 yds and 25 TDs, while not having to carry the offense.

6. Since there are so many ??????? about everything by the media and fans, imagine being the defensive coordinator for the Titans! Or any other opponent for that matter. These points could cause alot of problems :cool:

7. Defense. With or without O-gun, still a top five Defense. They have added players that are proven, and drafted some good ones as well.

8. Special teams will be much improved, the draft class will be a big plus in this area.

9. The emphasis on the 5 yard chuck rule will kill New England's scheme. I'm surprised the Colts didn't file rape charges against the Pats DBs in last years playoffs. They will struggle defensively, forced to play by the rules!!!
Hope these thoughts spread some hope for this season, I'm excited and can't wait. Dolphins Rule! :D :D

I am actually surprised that this hasn't been talked about more. I think this new rule will negativly effect the Pats more than any other team. I think the will really struggle defensively this season.......especially early in the season.

Back
Top Bottom