Greatest centers debate: Dwight Low, Langer not mentioned | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greatest centers debate: Dwight Low, Langer not mentioned

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score

The article is careful to mention that it's difficult to evaluate this over eras, but I wanted to post this to get some discussion going during this pre-FA time.
With Jason Kelce's retirement, the article tries to rank the greatest centers of all time, and see where JK would fit.
It lists some great names, but sticks Dwight Stephenson in as an Honorable mention, and NO inclusion of Hall of Fame center Langer.
There are some great names on the list.
I just wanted to get people's take on this and shift the talk from the what will happen with Wilkins and our other free agent speculation for a while.
Thanks!

I’m sure that article snubs others to like, Mark Stepnoski.

Mark Stepnoski Cowboy’s center in the 90’s
1st Team All- Pro92
(2) 2nd team All- Pros 94 & 95
5 time pro bowler
Selected to 90’s All Decade Team

I’m sure that article snubs others to like, Mark Stepnoski.

Mark Stepnoski Cowboy’s center in the 90’s
1st Team All- Pro92
(2) 2nd team All- Pros 94 & 95
5 time pro bowler
Selected to 90’s All Decade Team
Dude weighed about 255 lbs

They did reference in the article that Stephenson only played something like 114 games.
Maybe that's why he's dinged.
They based the centers on the pro-football-reference "career AV" value which rewards longevity as well as how well they played as it's just the sum of all seasons played. The fact that Stephenson had a value of 90 after only starting 87 games (played in 114) shows just how good he actually was. Every other guy they mentioned played 184 games or more yet they still took the time to acknowledge that Stephenson should have been on the list.

They based the centers on the pro-football-reference "career AV" value which rewards longevity as well as how well they played as it's just the sum of all seasons played. The fact that Stephenson had a value of 90 after only starting 87 games (played in 114) shows just how good he actually was. Every other guy they mentioned played 184 games or more yet they still took the time to acknowledge that Stephenson should have been on the list.
Thanks for explaining that, it helps!

Longevity? That explains why Liam Eichenberg isn't on the list.

Mike Webster is/was considered by many the greatest center in NFL history.

I think Dwight was better than him, no matter his career was cut short by a Jet.

Short presentation -

Something to add - he played an awful lot with little to no guard help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom