Greg Randall Released by 49ers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Randall Released by 49ers

I do not think we need him now that we have Carey

Yeah they just signed him not too long ago...a little bit after we had him in for a visit and then refused to sign him. I'm guessing whatever reason we did not sign him, thats why the 49ers have cut him within months of pulling the trigger to get him...

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
why did the 49ers cut him?

good point, especially if he was only the backup RT, why would they let him go..obviously they though he wasn't even good enough for backup duties. We have 3 RT's right now on the roster, 2 Vets and a R rookie. I think we're covered there. don't you?

I don't know much about the guy the thread above said he started an 16 games last year for the Texans.

I really wanted us to pull the trigger on Randall. And for the right price DEPENDING on why they cut him, and if we saw anything wrong, still would.

We're not really solidified at the tackle position. We have smith at LT. He'll be better this year, and I'm not really worried about him. But Mac on our Right side is considered a sub par tackle when healthy. He's not great, the opposition doesn't plan around him, but he should be solid. However, this injury will take how long to get better? Now, Carey was a good pickup IMO, but I'm not hearing great reports about him. I think it would be a stretch to ask him to start at RT his rookie season and do well. If we have to, we will, but I really don't want to.

Now, St. Clair leaves a LOT to be desired at the tackle position. We do NOT want him starting at tackle. I think he would be a great center, or a fine guard. He was an all pro american center in college. Be NEED to get him moved back to the interior. He'll be a HUGE liability at the tackle position for us. I have game tape against the Eagles, and he absolutely got manhandled the entire game. He NEVER got in a defenders face and pushed him back. the best he did that entire game was to get pushed back, and hopefuly make the defender take the long road to the QB.

I agree depending on why they cut him I think we should give him a shot if the money is right we could use some depth at back up.

ckparrothead said:
Yeah they just signed him not too long ago...a little bit after we had him in for a visit and then refused to sign him. I'm guessing whatever reason we did not sign him, thats why the 49ers have cut him within months of pulling the trigger to get him...

Kudos to RS if that's true.

Randall was a starting tackle for the Pats in 2001 but eventually lost his starting role to Kenyatta Jones (since cut). Belichick didn't like him because he played soft (at least thats the report). Not sure if the Texans got him in the expansion draft or he was picked up after getting cut.

If you guys need a tackle from the Pete Carroll NE era, feel free.

I too wanted to see us sign him at the right price, but something is very wierd here. The Pats traded him for a low draft pick. The Texans jetisoned him like radioactive waste. Now the 49'ers dump him after mini-camp to keep Scott Gragg as the starting RT. They apparently prefer Scott Rehberg as the back-up tackle and have quickly given up on moving Randall insde to guard with Justin Smiley coming in as a draft pick.

On paper Randall should be in the hunt to start for most teams and yet................... Wonder what we don't know about him?

Guys, guys, relax. Clearly Randall was simply not "comfortable" with those other teams. Maybe he could share a locker with Thompson? :D

We need competition. Randall would help do that. We know he can play decent RT & maybe guard.

Also, RT Marcus Spears of the Chiefs was released today. He would be decent for competition too.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
why did the 49ers cut him?
I asked a 49ers fan for you guys, here's what he had to say:

"I believe that they released him because they feel good about the Rookies they drafted & the undrafted free agents they picked up. I also read that Randall was overweight & that he could only play 1 position on the line. He was not going to start in front of Gragg or Harris, & the back-ups we have are younger & more versatile."

Don't know if this tells you anything you didn't already know.

Back
Top Bottom