Greg Stoda and whoever else..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Stoda and whoever else.....

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...ns/wednesday/sports_046cf7282470e1e600ee.html

Greg Stoda and whoever else that may inquire about "a matter of human decency". Congratulations Mr. Stoda as you have provoked my thought again on a beaten down subject. I'm not the most brilliant of men but I can see a certain amount of hypocrisy in you and your colleagues cry for "human decency".

I see from your history Mr. Stoda that you have been a qualified journalist for damn near three decades. You graduated from the Illinois State University with what I assume to be a journalistic or composition degree. Obviously you are well prepared to write for any newspaper in this country.

Can I ask you to coach football Mr. Stoda?

Would you be able to put the players into a position where they would not be subject to embarrassment? Could you put the players in position to win? Can you train the players in the offseason to prevent their injury? Can I ask you to attend coaching forums to teach those in your profession what you konw? Can you teach a college football player to perform at an acceptable level in the pro game? I'll stop there Mr. Stoda because I think you may get the point by now.

Now Mr. Stoda after you have concluded your daily assignments ...

Will you please tell your colleagues on a daily basis what you are doing? Will you please explain to them with terminology that they may understand? Mr. Stoda please understand that your colleagues do not understand the general terminology that you may have acquired while you have been on the football field.

After thirty years of writing I'm sure you are qualified to translate what you will be attempting to convey.

Nevermind the "common decency" of putting the players into a position to prevent injury. We just want to get our public speaking corrected in the NFL.

Anyway you slice it, both Seau and Parcells made insensitive, indecent comments. Sure, the media is overhyping it, like it always has and always will. But as celebrity figure, you have to know better. For a homosexual, the word that Seau uttered is as bad as the "N" word to African Americans. You may say it was a slip, but it's slips like this that keep homosexual athletes miserably in the closet. As a "Leader", Seau should have avoided the comment altogether.

As for Parcells, people defend his comment saying that he is from the old school, that he holds no punches yada yada yada. From the old school? More like archaic. I mean he might as well have said to his own middle linebacker "Hey, Slanty-Eye, where's ya rice bowl"?

The point about Stoda not being qualified or competent enough to properly coach a football team without using terminology that his dimwitted peers could understand, is absolutely irrelevant. Both Seau and Parcells were talking to members of the media and indirectly to football fans and humans across the world, not to other coaches or players. Even when with their peers, if they could not find easier to understand verbage for what they mean, other than insensitive remarks (which is bologna), they should go the confusing route if only to stifle the spread of such remarks in sports. As a human, Stoud was right in his assessment that they were foolish comments and that the individuals should have known better.

I could argue the relevancy of the comments but that's not the point I wished to make.

Both of these gentlemen are ill qualified for public speaking. They are over qualified for the football field.

Stoda and whoever else would pass judgement are wrong. They shouldn't be asked to take questions about football on a daily basis and then be crucified for generic conversation. All I would ask of the journalists is for the same common decency that they cite is wrong with the comments. Recognize that the men are good men and give them a pass every now and again as they are unqualified to stand in front of a podium.

The journalists will not because that doesn't sell papers. It's much easier to take a comment and pass judgement than to write an actual football article.

Hidden and Dangerous Logic

The key to deciphering and decoding the hidden and dangerous of logic of the post attacking Stoda is the following phrase used to defend and make us feel sorry for Junior Seau and Bill Parcells: “crucified for generic conversation."

Point 1:

“Crucified†is blasphemous in this context. Were they fired? No. Fined? Not to my knowledge. Has anyone attacked their family, their property, etc.? Not to my knowledge. Did Stoda call for their jobs? Nope.

By saying “crucified,†instead of “disagreed with†or “opposed†or “criticized,†the aim is to make us sense that something horribly unjust and serious happened to Seau and Parcells. That’s not accurate. Stoda objected to their comments. He judged them as humans in error. There is simply no need to feel like these men were subjected to any kind of humiliation or torture, because they were not. “Crucified†is supposed to make Stoda seem like an evil man out to get Seau and Parcells.

I like Junior Seau, but that doesn’t mean I don’t judge him. Pretending that Seau and Parcells are above or exempt from such judgments is a form of idolatry, and it is to be avoided.

Point 2:

“Generic conversation†is loaded. Why? Cause when one argues that the kind of things said by Seau and Parcells are “generic,†then one presupposes that there is something ordinary and “ok†with such “conversationâ€Â; that is, by using “generic†one not only _describes_ what was said as normal, but also _makes a claim_ about its acceptability in our society.

Indeed, calling the comments “generic conversation†reflects a way of thinking that Stoda insightfully attributes to “the wink-wink, nudge-nudge world of professional sport where the convenient excuse is that boys will be boys.â€Â

Instead of “unacceptable,†“possibly hurtful,†“reductive,†or “biased,†what “generic†implies is that saying such things is just “part of the way things are.†Maybe. But, of course, Stoda’s commentary was meant as a protest against precisely that problem.

Finally, we should notice that this combination of feeling sympathy for Seau and Parcells and allowing ourselves to have their comments normalized is dangerous. There’s no need to feel sorry for these guys, and if there conversation had been really so “generic,†then why was there such an uproar over them? Nor is there any need to worry that they were “unqualified to stand in front of a podium,†for this ignores the experience both men have – Parcells in particular – in speaking before the press.

And besides, in a democracy, being “quafied†to speak before the public should not be imagined only as a skill one acquires, but also as an unavoidable and inalienable right to free speech. We are all, in this sense, “qualified†to speak, because we all have this right. Such a right, however, carries with it the risk of having someone not like what you have to say.

I doubt it, Zod got owned? Why cause someone used big words, rambled on, and spoke his opinion? I disagree with Zod somewhat in that they cannot be that naive to think they would not be judged in the media for being politically incorrect.

The fact issue to me is, what they said does not constitute what they believe. They used them as a saying not speaking a belief.

ZOD said:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/wednesday/sports_046cf7282470e1e600ee.html

Greg Stoda and whoever else that may inquire about "a matter of human decency". Congratulations Mr. Stoda as you have provoked my thought again on a beaten down subject. I'm not the most brilliant of men but I can see a certain amount of hypocrisy in you and your colleagues cry for "human decency".

I see from your history Mr. Stoda that you have been a qualified journalist for damn near three decades. You graduated from the Illinois State University with what I assume to be a journalistic or composition degree. Obviously you are well prepared to write for any newspaper in this country.

Can I ask you to coach football Mr. Stoda?

Would you be able to put the players into a position where they would not be subject to embarrassment? Could you put the players in position to win? Can you train the players in the offseason to prevent their injury? Can I ask you to attend coaching forums to teach those in your profession what you konw? Can you teach a college football player to perform at an acceptable level in the pro game? I'll stop there Mr. Stoda because I think you may get the point by now.

Now Mr. Stoda after you have concluded your daily assignments ...

Will you please tell your colleagues on a daily basis what you are doing? Will you please explain to them with terminology that they may understand? Mr. Stoda please understand that your colleagues do not understand the general terminology that you may have acquired while you have been on the football field.

After thirty years of writing I'm sure you are qualified to translate what you will be attempting to convey.

Nevermind the "common decency" of putting the players into a position to prevent injury. We just want to get our public speaking corrected in the NFL.
I agree with you Zod. The media is ridiculous about anything that gets said out of what they consider right and wrong and have become more of a judge and jury than anything else. They should report some good things once and a while too.

Stoda has always been a Phin hater. These pretentious self-righteous jerks make me want to puke.

Who cares? I mean seriously. Does it really bother you that Seau said the word "***." I mean its not like he personnally attacked someone, and called them a ***. He used it in a generalized sense. Granted it was stupid, especially in a prepared speech, but seriously, in its context, does that really bother you? I don't feel sorry for them, but at the same time, I don't really care. I just say... idiot, and go about my day. That's what everyone should do.

I just think people need to grow up. Its like they're saying "oh no, someone called me a name. I shall go cry to my teacher or my mommy". Get real. Who cares? If you're worried about hearing a name like "******" or "jap" then you need to step out of your grade school mentality.

Who told anyone that they have a right to happiness? No one, do you know why? Because you're guaranteed the "right to pursue happiness", not the right to happinesss. These are they same whiney people that say such and such is terrible and shouldn't be on TV. Well, if you don't like the music, change the channel. If you don't like hearing what some people have to say, don't listen to them. But they do have the right to voice their opinion even if it does make our blood boil.

If I don't like whats being said, I don't listen. Who cares if they used a word that I think is bad. Its just a word that has no meaning until I give it some.

And for anyone that thinks the "N" word ( I think thats so stupid) is offensive to 'african americans', that mindset is a touch short sighted. You see, I have a friend that is 100% african american but yet he's white. So the so called N word is nothing. And he's smart enough to know that anyone that would use that word is just as dumb as the word itself. And if he lets it upset him, its his fault for giving time and effort to the poor loser using that language.

Yes, african americans can be white as well as black.

Henry Porter said:
The key to deciphering and decoding the hidden and dangerous of logic of the post attacking Stoda is the following phrase used to defend and make us feel sorry for Junior Seau and Bill Parcells: “crucified for generic conversation."

Point 1:

“Crucified†is blasphemous in this context. Were they fired? No. Fined? Not to my knowledge. Has anyone attacked their family, their property, etc.? Not to my knowledge. Did Stoda call for their jobs? Nope.

Point 2:

“Generic conversation†is loaded. Why? Cause when one argues that the kind of things said by Seau and Parcells are “generic,†then one presupposes that there is something ordinary and “ok†with such “conversationâ€Â; that is, by using “generic†one not only _describes_ what was said as normal, but also _makes a claim_ about its acceptability in our society. Finally, we should notice that this combination of feeling sympathy for Seau and Parcells and allowing ourselves to have their comments normalized is dangerous. There’s no need to feel sorry for these guys, and if there conversation had been really so “generic,†then why was there such an uproar over them? Nor is there any need to worry that they were “unqualified to stand in front of a podium,†for this ignores the experience both men have – Parcells in particular – in speaking before the press.

Obviously you do not think blaspheming a name such as Seau and Parcells throughout every national newspaper and every other media outlet is worthy of the word "crucified". I think you underestimate the humility of not only these gentlemen but everyone.

Just look....You took exception to "an attack" on a freaking message board!

"Generic conversation", yep it sure is. It's how majority of america thinks and speaks. Who are the media to change the way we are? Were the words all that bad anyway?

"Jap plays"- Okay Pearl Harbor didn't happen.

Seau's word- You think the description was bad? How about the behavior? It's clearly not natural.

If you wish to change the language we speak because you believe the actions of the individuals you feel were blasphemed make that the issue. Don't run a dog and pony show around the issue.

The issue is why we speak the way we do.

ZOD said:
The issue is why we speak the way we do.
Because we as people have the right to speak any way we want and becaue of that right that is used so frequently it becomes second nature and words tend to slip out at the wrong times.

Back
Top Bottom