Hall of Fame- What in the ________! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hall of Fame- What in the ________!

I don’t disagree with any of the choices.

I'm still stunned Jason Taylor made it first ballot.
Me too. Very happy that he was, but a bit surprised.

Between Zach and Urlacher, most on here would agree that the media love BU, and he was the best since Ray Lewis. Those thoughts have continued.

To me, he was brilliant, tough, a good game reader, and Zach was his equal. But the media and ther love or urlacher gets him across the line.

Thomas was more cerebral but Urlacher fits the mold of what the Hall of Fame generally prefers in a middle linebacker -- huge, and nasty on attack. When I was a kid the league had those guys in bunches. Recently it has been more sparse but Lewis and Urlacher fit the mold. I knew Urlacher would make it quickly even though there had been some posts here attempting to diminish him.

I'm thrilled Bobby Beathard got the nod. Frankly I'm stunned at a Hall of Fame thread devoted to linebackers. I was certain it would be all about Bobby Beathard, given his connection to the '70s Dolphin teams before moving on to the Redskins.

I think I've mentioned this anecdote previously bit I appreciated Beathard even more when I recognized him alongside the USC practice field in fall 1980. Nobody else on the sideline knew who he was. Beathard was new to the Redskins and had yet to become nationally famous. That happened beginning a couple of years later with the Super Bowl triumph over the Dolphins.

I approached Beathard and introduced myself, telling him I was from Miami and really appreciated his work with the Dolphins. Beathard beamed. He asked where I was from In Miami. I described the area in the southwest section, and that two of my closest friends were sons of Dolphin assistant coaches. That took the conversation to a new level as Beathard raved about those two coaches and everything they meant to the franchise while he was there.

The chat went on for a long time, even as Beathard was scouting that USC practice and taking occasional notes. Ronnie Lott was a senior along with fellow safety Dennis Smith and Jeff Fisher (yes, that Jeff Fisher), along with several highly rated offensive linemen. We also talked about the current Dolphins. Only at that point did Beathard want to make sure we were off the record. I told him I would do a story about USC prospects and his opinions of them. Beathard was fine about that. But when we talked about the Dolphins he wasn't particularly high on one defensive end, saying, "They get no push from that side." I forget who he was talking about, merely that he didn't want to be quoted on the matter.

John Robinson was USC head coach. He eventually recognized Beathard and wandered over. Robinson was pompous as always. World class pompous. What a difference between the personalities and genuineness of those two guys. That's what I was thinking as they talked.

Then Roy Firestone showed up. He really thought he was the hot tamale. Firestone had been the sidekick to Chuck Dowdle on Channel 10 ABC sportscasts in Miami. But he fancied himself a comedian and entertainment talent so he relocated to Los Angeles. No denying he's had an excellent career. But in 1980 he obviously thought he was destined to become legendary. He waltzed over to Bobby Beathard and acted as if Beathard should be privileged to be in the company of Roy Firestone. They talked for a few minutes before Firestone excused himself, off to more important matters.

What followed was my favorite moment of the afternoon. Beathard turned to me and asked, "What is his first name?"

I said, "Roy...it's Roy Firestone."

Beathard: "Roy (sigh of relief). Good. That's what I called him."

I thought that was absolutely hilarious. Roy Firestone was strutting around as if he owned the town, while Bobby Beathard was merely relieved that he happened to remember Firestone's first name.

Y'all are surprised JT got in? 7th all-time in sacks. How doesn't that deserve to get in?

Awsi, that was a great story. I am always happy when I see a long Awsi post, because I know it will be a great read.

I was surprised at the first time ballot entry. I figured he would make it eventually because the hall isn't as prestigious as it once was.

To play Devil's advocate, you'd have to imagine that as the league gets older and older, the more players that get into the Hall. Of course it'll seem more watered down than it once was. But I haven't seen any player get into the Hall that didn't deserve to be there, or who wasn't a generational type of player. The guys that just got in were the best players in the league for a long while.

I am surprised that Taylor got in before Thomas. Always thought Thomas had a better motor and made more of an impact.

The sacks thing is definitely a factor.

I am surprised that Taylor got in before Thomas. Always thought Thomas had a better motor and made more of an impact.

The sacks thing is definitely a factor.

Taylor I believe has the most TD's by a defensive lineman with 9. Whats a greater impact than scoring TD's as a defensive player? Not to mention 46 FF and 8 INT's compared to 17 by Thomas who had a lot more opportunities to get int's. I think its fair to say Taylor had more game changing plays.

How in the heck is URLACHER a 1st Ballot HOFer!! Yet, Zach Thomas gets minimal votes. The numbers do not lie!! I am beside myself right now.

Urlacher career - 182 GP. 8x pro bowl. 4 x All-Pro.
1040 tackles, 22 INT, 11 FF. 41.5 Sacks.
Zach Thomas - 184 GP. 7x Pro Bowl. 5x All Pro. 1100 tackles, 17 INT, 16 FF. 20.5 sacks. Not too different yet Thomas keeps getting minimal votes...Urlacher gets 1st ballot. Joke!

It wasn't like this subject was discussed 1 post below yours Ad nauseam

Back
Top Bottom