Haslett on RW's "Retirement" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Haslett on RW's "Retirement"

fin13 said:
Hey don't forget when Ricky left the saints he rushed for 1800 yards and Haslett's view was that Ricky had no breakaway speed that's why he was traded.
He also had him weighting 250 lbs.
Ricky with Colliers advise dropped 20 lb,s and when on to have the best two seasons of his career.
But now they say they knew what was coming.
forget Ricky he's gone lets all move on we still have a better team than the saints.
and no first round picks for two years.
The guy is an idiot

Ricky is the only guy Haslett ever said anything negative about after leaving the team. There's a reason for that... the third round pick that ended up turning into a first rounder. Haslett had extra motivation for Ricky that year. Even on Monday Night Football that year, you hear Ricky say on National TV "As long as my stats are better than Deuce McAllister's then everything is ok."

And why do people keep saying Haslett was the one that had Ricky overweight? Ricky never showed up to voluntary workouts. He worked out on his own and put himself at that weight. Of course no one wanted to listen to this two years ago, but maybe today they will since they now see the side of Ricky we saw when he was in New Orleans. And the year Ricky had this year was the worst of his career since he was a rookie.

Ditka's trade for Ricky put a terrible franchise in the hole for years. The 2000 season by Haslett was a luck based season. More than half the team was new and many were on one year contracts. They got all the breaks that year. Since then all the breaks have gone the other way (like the lateral for the TD this year against the Jaguars, only to miss the extra point). Most of the talent on the Saints is less than 3 years of experience (Deuce, Bentley, Stallworth, Grant, and so on) so you can't expect veteran performance out of a young team. But you might see that this year.

ajdoggie said:
Just goes to show where Miami is, compared to other teams. Starting with Wayne H. all the way down to Wanny. They don't have a clue what's going on.

I dont think anyone had an idea that Ricky would retire like he did. I definately didn't see any threads or posts saying we should get a RB incase that Ricky wanted to retire. Also, Ricky said the Saints wanted him around 250. When he came here he wanted to lose wait so he could gain more speed. The trade had to be done IMO. We needed a running game for our offense and everyone thought we got a good deal when Ricky was on the field. Even last year behind a terrible line, he still had one of the better rushing seasons in Miami history. You can't blame Wanny,Wayne, Rick, or anyone that Ricky retired and it was a bad trade. Sometimes weird stuff just happens and you just get bad luck.

ABrownLamp said:
anyone know who the Saints chose with our 1st round picks?
They used one on Charles Grant, who is a very good, but not great DE.

They used the other 1st rounder to trade up and select Jonathan Sullivan, a DT.

fin13 said:
Ricky had the best two years of his career with the Fins offence that should tell you how good hasbeen oops haslett is.

I'd say 00 and 01 were better years than last year. Even though he didn't have as many yards....of course he got the ball nearly 100 more times last year than he did in 01. Getting the ball more doesn't make it a better year. If you get the ball 400 times, you better have at least 1500 yards.

finfan54 said:
Haslett was so overrated and i thought wannstedt should have gotten coach of the year that one year haslett took them to be like 8-8? cmon, get real. Haslett will be out of the HC business soon.

Coach of the year was well deserved. It was his first year taking over a 3-13 team. They went 10-6, won the division and went to the 2nd round of the playoffs despite losing their starting QB and RB for the better part of the year.

Kistner10 said:
I Ricky said the Saints wanted him around 250. When he came here he wanted to lose wait so he could gain more speed.

Then why was it in his contract that he got a bonus for keeping his weight under 240? Ricky was overweight at the combine and it hurt his draft stock. Didn't you hear about his overnight way to lose 5-10 lbs prior to his individual workout? He ate a bunch of raison bran and prunes.....smoked a pack of cigarettes (well..maybe cigarettes).....and took a laxitive. BTW...he reported to camp at 228 in 01.

The deal for Ricky was a good one for the Dolphins from a production standpoint. Can anyone find two recent first round picks that gave us two good seasons? Our first round picks have been a bust lately. Better to trade them away than to draft John Avery.

Back
Top Bottom