Have Dolphins finally figured out how to use Sean Smith? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have Dolphins finally figured out how to use Sean Smith?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
I will admit that I was growing increasingly impatient with Smith before the season began, but even his tackling has somewhat improved. It is far from perfect, but it is demonstrably better than previous years.
Now that Coyle has Smith in his possession it appears he's figured out how to use this PRESS cornerback effectively.

Coincidentally, since using Smith to shadow the opposition's best receivers, Miami's defense has taken off, rising up the rankings at numerous statistical categories.
“I think it relates more back to fundamentals," coach Joe Philbin said of Smith's growth. "As we watched him play, I thought his fundamentals and his technique, his positioning both pre-snap (and) post-snap, during the course of the route, was probably as good as it’s been. There’s still a couple plays there he’s got to play better, but I thought he played well.”
But can Smith keep this up, and if he does how much will it cost the Dolphins in the long run considering he'll be a free agent in 2013?
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...20121010_1_sean-smith-kevin-coyle-joe-philbin

He's always been best playing press coverage. Straight out of college he was a terrific press corner there.

I thought it was stupid of the Dolphins to keep Vontae on one side and Smith on the other no matter who lined up there. Smith is made to play against the bigger WR's like AJ Green, Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, and the like. To see the Dolphins stick Smith with the smaller shiftier receivers over the past few years was just beyond stupid. Paul Pasqualoni was a moron,. but I saw too much of that from Mike Nolan as well.

I mean, why the heck was Vontae on Braylon Edwards most of the time when he was on the Jets. Meanwhile the smaller receivers were on Sean SMith ? The same against the Texans in previous years - Sean Smith was rarely put on Andre Johnson. Hell I saw Jimmy Wilson one-on-one with Andre Johnson in week one for a big gain.... Stupid !!....

I said since day one that he should line up against the opposing teams taller bigger receiver to take them out of the game, or limit them. Against Larry Fitzgerald and AJ Green in consecutive weeks, Smith played very admirably.

Paul Pasqualoni was a moron.
:lol2:
What do you think about Jimmy Wilson? The guys I watch the games with are not high on him and he has made some mistakes, but I like how the kid plays. I like his aggressive play. I would rather watch a guy try to prevent a completion if the opportunity presents itself than playing more conservatively.

:lol2:
What do you think about Jimmy Wilson? The guys I watch the games with are not high on him and he has made some mistakes, but I like how the kid plays. I like his aggressive play. I would rather watch a guy try to prevent a completion if the opportunity presents itself than playing more conservatively.
I like how Jimmy Wilson plays as well. He doesn't shy away from anybody.

Yea he's been playing great! In the off-season, we need to find a speedy CB to pair with him to cover the smaller WR's that give smith fits.

I like how this year the DC was able to get the Defense to start off great (even in the houston game they played well it's not their fault the offense turned the ball over 3 times in like 6 minutes in their own field position) unlike last year where they got their **** together more or less midway part of the season. Sean Smith the GOAT btw.

No, I just think the guy finally got his head on straight and became more of a pro with Philbin's guidance. His rookie year and some of his sophomore year I read a bunch of stuff about how he would go out a lot at nights, party, etc. Im sure Vontae was factor in this. The guy just grew up and its paying off. Being in a contract year helps too.

The minute I gave up on Sean Smith completely, the very next minute he started to show some signs of life.

:iwantmore: :iwantmore:

The minute I gave up on Sean Smith completely, the very next minute he started to show some signs of life.

:iwantmore: :iwantmore:

That's Brilliant. Do you mind giving up on Egnew completely?

Let's hope that works for Carpenter as well. :lol:

I've been a big fan of Dan Carpenter. But with his recent struggles, this was my golden opportunity to gas up the chopper a rally my cries to bring my boy Matt Bosher to the Dolphins in a trade since we didn't draft him.

Carpenter can GTFO.

:lol:

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

That's Brilliant. Do you mind giving up on Egnew completely?

Who?

:idk:

Later on I'm gonna give up on my 401k and investment stocks.

Back
Top Bottom