Help needed with draft question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Help needed with draft question

Slope

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Could you help me with a draft question?

I know it’s early, but I’m trying to put together a list of each team’s needs in the 2004 draft. I figured the people on this board would know more than the typical sportswriter, so this is where I came to ask.

I’m trying to determine a need at every position: QB, RB, FB, WR, TE, T, G, C, DE, DT/NT (Nose Tackle), OLB, ILB (MLB), CB, S, K, P. I need to know specific positions. Not just O-line or linebackers for example, but what type of offensive linemen or linebackers.

Here are the categories I’m trying to determine for each team:

Desperate needs (a position you have a big hole at):

Draft priorities (positions you need to concentrate on):

Not a priority, but will draft if right player is available:

Might draft for depth:

Will not draft these positions:

Not all of these need to be filled out (not every team has a desperate need as a position). I’d appreciate any comments or suggestions for players you think your team might be interested in also.

I already have a 7 round mock draft, and a prospect ranking board set up here: http://e.1asphost.com/nonamedraft/index.html .

Thanks

Our big hole is at on the OL at G and T.

We need a #2 WR.

A QB to raise.

Young Defensive Line depth.

And probably a safety.

Originally posted by Slope
Could you help me with a draft question?

Yes

Desperate needs (a position you have a big hole at):

This is debatable...but, imo ...no desparation here. WADE SMITH will be our long term LT. He needs an offseason of strength training and still has room to add a few pounds.

Draft priorities (positions you need to concentrate on):

Equal priority of OG & DT.
LG. This depends on the recovery of Jamie Nails.
RG. We will look to upgrade T.Perry if the right player is available.
DT. We need to think about finding the eventual replacement for powerhouse TIM BOWENS.
RT. This depends on the re-signing of Todd WADE.

Not a priority, but will draft if right player is available:

Again this is debatable...
WR. If big WR talent falls to us, we could pull the trigger to stimilate the passing game.
CB. Our top 2 Corners are costing us 14 million bucks. Someone will have to take a pay cut or take a hike.
QB. This team is not built around the QB position...but if the right guy falls, it might be too tempting not to draft him.

Might draft for depth:
LT, OG, CB, QB, MLB, OLB, DT, DE

Will not draft these positions:
TE, RB, FB & possibly S. We normally draft cornerbacks and convert them to safeties. We draft Safeties and convert them to WSLB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i can help with the saints portion.

Cornerback is our biggest need right now. We have question marks at alll LB positions, Safety and i could see us picking a DT to replace Grady Jackson. On the offensive side of the ball, the only thing i see us possibly spending a high pick on would be TE....possibly a backup RB.

I have an early version up now at The Huddle Report (http://www.thehuddlereport.com) . The link is half way down the page under 7 round mock draft.

If anyone sees anything out of place, or has any comments I would like to hear them.

Thanks again for you help with getting the team needs together.

Slope, we don't nee an ILB. Tommy Hendricks played good in Zach's place for that one game. He recorded 18 tackles.

Critical
OT-left or right tackle because Wade Smith is flexible.

QB-it's time to find a QB of the future. We haven't drafted one for that purpose since 1983.

WR-preferably a speed receiver. Don't look for McKnight to be back.

Priorities
G/C-we need another bull in the middle with McKinney. Not much promise on our current roster from that position.

FS-Arturo wants to leave, Marion will leave soon too

DT-Bowens is the longest tenured Dolphin & Zgonina is 33. Need new blood.

Depth
DE-Taylor is nearly 30 & nobody knows what demands Rosenhaus will make for Ogunleye

CB-Madison & Surtain are high $$, Fletcher appears to be a bust, & Buckley is 32.

OLB-Seau won't be here longer than next year, Moore is coming off an injury, & Greenwood is a UFA after next season.

Will not draft
RB
TE
ILB
SS

I found a couple errors on your page that you may want to change.

DE Marcus Spears is from LSU, not Illinois
OG Justin Smiley is from Alabama, not Miami

A few mispellings but I won't be that picky.

Unless you think he'll change his mind, Braylon Edwards has already announced that he will remain at Michigan for his senior year.

Back
Top Bottom