here it is folks: the 5 best pro prospects at QB in college | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

here it is folks: the 5 best pro prospects at QB in college

kastofsna120

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
1: matt leinart, USC
i'm not real high on him, but i'm not real high on any QBs in this draft (YET), so leinart remains the default #1 guy. he's accurate and makes good decisions, but it's almost impossible to truly judge a guy who has this much talent around him. it's ridiculous

2: sam keller (junior), arizona state
this guy is the real deal. if he plays well against USC he'll be getting a TON of attention and will consider declaring early. basically he'll be the aaron rodgers of this season. his mechanics needs work, but they're about as good as you'd expect from a guy with his limited snaps. playing in a pro-style offense doesn't hurt either

3: reggie mcneal, texas a&m
probably the closest thing to a donovan mcnabb-type player in the draft. has a great arm and can scramble when he needs to. i'd like to see him work more out of a pro-style offense, though

4: jay cutler, vanderbilt
i was sour on this guy last year, and after watching him this year against arkansas, i've changed my mind. he was mostly an option guy who would throw occasionally (and not that well), but he's changed his tune and is throwing primarily now. he looks good passing, although considering how much time he spent in the option, his mechanics still need some work. i think he could be this year's alex smith in that regard. plays very well despite the talent around him, and vanderbilt is now 2-0! go commodores! :D

5: omar jacobs (junior), bowling green
i don't think he should declare early, but due to all the hype on him and the great numbers he'll put up, he'll pretty much be forced to, so i have him listed here, even though i'm not that high on the guy. has all the size and speed and talent you'd want out of a top QB, but his mechanics and the offense he plays in and his soft passes all leads me to believe he needs more work before he can be a top prospect. the talent is clearly there, but...he needs work

others to look at: brad smith, brady quinn (jr), charlie whitehurst, darrell hackney, jordan palmer (jr)

comments? :D

You forgot Vince Young :D:tongue:

kastofsna120 said:
1: matt leinart, USC
i'm not real high on him, but i'm not real high on any QBs in this draft (YET), so leinart remains the default #1 guy. he's accurate and makes good decisions, but it's almost impossible to truly judge a guy who has this much talent around him. it's ridiculous

2: sam keller (junior), arizona state
this guy is the real deal. if he plays well against USC he'll be getting a TON of attention and will consider declaring early. basically he'll be the aaron rodgers of this season. his mechanics needs work, but they're about as good as you'd expect from a guy with his limited snaps. playing in a pro-style offense doesn't hurt either

3: reggie mcneal, texas a&m
probably the closest thing to a donovan mcnabb-type player in the draft. has a great arm and can scramble when he needs to. i'd like to see him work more out of a pro-style offense, though

4: jay cutler, vanderbilt
i was sour on this guy last year, and after watching him this year against arkansas, i've changed my mind. he was mostly an option guy who would throw occasionally (and not that well), but he's changed his tune and is throwing primarily now. he looks good passing, although considering how much time he spent in the option, his mechanics still need some work. i think he could be this year's alex smith in that regard. plays very well despite the talent around him, and vanderbilt is now 2-0! go commodores! :D

5: omar jacobs (junior), bowling green
i don't think he should declare early, but due to all the hype on him and the great numbers he'll put up, he'll pretty much be forced to, so i have him listed here, even though i'm not that high on the guy. has all the size and speed and talent you'd want out of a top QB, but his mechanics and the offense he plays in and his soft passes all leads me to believe he needs more work before he can be a top prospect. the talent is clearly there, but...he needs work

others to look at: brad smith, brady quinn (jr), charlie whitehurst, darrell hackney, jordan palmer (jr)

comments? :D

i think Darrell Hackney is very McNabb like. Big strong QB who can escape a sack. Hackney has a arm, and hes tough as hell.

i think Darrell Hackney is very McNabb like. Big strong QB who can escape a sack. Hackney has a arm, and hes tough as hell.

I think you mean to compare him to Culpepper, not McNabb. Hackney is nearly 250lbs with a huge arm (top 5 in arm strength easy).

1-Leinart, USC - eventhough I don't think he'll succeed, this coming from a USC fan
2-Young, Texas* - I wasn't much of a supporter until his last two games, I've been impressed with his passing, still a couple mistakes
3-Jacobs, Bowling Green* - needs to fix his release, I can't stand those side arm flings
4-Palko, Pittsburgh* - Cavanaugh needs to use his abilities better, good arm & decision making, fire Wanny & Cavanaugh before his stock sinks more
5-Keller, Arizona St* - big arm, again another side arm thrower, good vision

6-Whitehurst, Clemson - big test this week vs Miami
7-McNeal, Texas A&M
8-Pinegar, Fresno St
9-Cutler, Vanderbilt
10-Quinn, Notre Dame*

Glad to see my boy Quinn snuck in there. He wont come out so he has another year to learn from Weis

DonShula84 said:
Glad to see my boy Quinn snuck in there. He wont come out so he has another year to learn from Weis

And Be drafted by the Pats I'm sure.

I dont see Chris Leak, QB, Florida Gators on this list. :confused: I also would put Colorado's QB Joel Klatt in the top 10:
clear.gif

Why you should care about Joel Klatt ... The Big XII has several big stars at quarterback this year, but no one outside of Missouri's Brad Smith will be as important to his team as Klatt will be to CU. Without the All-Big XII caliber running back and with leading receiver Derek McCoy gone, Klatt will have to turn his game up a few notches to navigate the Buffaloes through the tough Big XII. With Kansas State looking a bit down and Nebraska still rebuilding a bit, the North might be there for the taking. If Klatt has a huge year, CU might be able to pull off its third division title in four years.

Why do people hate on the side arm throw. Dan Marino did it, Kurt Warner did it?

Marino never threw side arm. He threw 3 quarters to over the top all the time unless pressure forced him to throw side arm.

People hate side arm throws because the ball is released a foot lower than it's supposed to be. With most QBs being 6'3 releasing the ball around 5'3 behind 6'6 olineman there's a greatly increased chance that the ball will be batted down. It also requires the oline to create larger passing lanes for you to get the ball through.

Roman529 said:
I dont see Chris Leak, QB, Florida Gators on this list. :confused:
he's too short, too fragile, doesn't make smart decisions when forced out of the pocket, has a bad release, plays in a bad offense...shall i go on?

Roman529 said:
I dont see Chris Leak, QB, Florida Gators on this list. :confused:

You don't wanna ask that here. This place is full of Leak haters.

SpeedRush99 said:
You don't wanna ask that here. This place is full of Leak haters.

Maybe I dont see enough Gator games here in Colorado? I liked driving through Gainesville a few years back though.:D I still have Leinart as my top pick at QB and Jacobs 2nd.

Roman529 said:
Maybe I dont see enough Gator games here in Colorado?

No, its not that he's not good. Everyone just thinks he's either too short, bad throwing motion, or plays in a gimmick offense. The whole "fragile" and bad deicisons knocks are total BS. He hasn't missed a game since he's been at Florida. He's shorter than the average pro QB, thats the only legitimate knock.

Back
Top Bottom