Holland: Elite, very good, good, average | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Holland: Elite, very good, good, average

Holland: Elite or merely very good?

• Elite

• Very Good

• Good

• Average

Results are only viewable after voting.
I want to see the guy I saw at Oregon. He's a good Safety with the ability to be really good. Not sure about elite. Him staying healthy and playing all 17 would be nice.
In his last season at Oregon, 2019, he was usually playing slot corner.

I posted this about Holland in the Tart thread but it fits better here:

Since he received elite grades in 2 of 3 seasons, it is apparent the PFF crew considers him elite. The most recent season is the most pertinent, and last season he was graded their 3rd highest overall safety behind Winfield and Bates, and the 3rd highest pass coverage safety behind McKinney and Bates. So if you don't want to accept those grades because it is just PFF, don't trot them out in support of some other player you may believe to be elite. You can't have it both ways.
He was very close to as good in the Flores system as a rookie. That year, he was also PFF's 3rd highest-graded safety overall behind Byard and Winfield and the 4th highest coverage safety behind Byard, Poyer, and Hyde.

I love Holland and always will. Good player who's in the top percentage of players at his position.

Right now the only safety who could be considered close to elite is the kid in Baltimore. If he continues to play like he did in his 2nd season, he will potentially be the best in the league. I dont think anyone comes close.

Holland is good, but unfortunately not having the Flores schemes that highlighted his strengths has hampered his growth into a possible elite player. Let's see what Weaver has instore for Holland. He could possibly be a difference maker in Hollands career, taking him to another level?

Help us settle a debate.

I have heard there are plenty of MASTER DEBATERS on finheaven. You'll do fine, just dont shake hands with any of them. šŸ–šŸ’¦

Last edited:
We honestly haven't drafted anyone truly elite since I don't know who. Even X I would describe as very good but not elite.

I have heard there are plenty of MASTER DEBATERS on finheaven. You'll do fine, just dont shake hands with any of them. šŸ–šŸ’¦
You want my list?

I have 3 trolls, 2 pedants, 2 that are nearly illiterate... and at least 3 on the spectrum.

So would we rather Fitzpatrick or holland? That is always a fun question.

Tough call... Fitzpatrick is probably more exciting, but he's also a huge baby... and now he's injured.

Plus... he makes almost 20m/year... umm, no thanks.

I posted this about Holland in the Tart thread but it fits better here:

Since he received elite grades in 2 of 3 seasons, it is apparent the PFF crew considers him elite. The most recent season is the most pertinent, and last season he was graded their 3rd highest overall safety behind Winfield and Bates, and the 3rd highest pass coverage safety behind McKinney and Bates. So if you don't want to accept those grades because it is just PFF, don't trot them out in support of some other player you may believe to be elite. You can't have it both ways.
He was very close to as good in the Flores system as a rookie. That year, he was also PFF's 3rd highest-graded safety overall behind Byard and Winfield and the 4th highest coverage safety behind Byard, Poyer, and Hyde.
Very interesting. Perhaps too many of us equate elite to interceptions ala Ed Reed. But there is way more to the position than that.

I think safety could be the wildcard in the draft for the team. We know OL, DL, and WR. See how players are doing returning from injury, and preparing for the future if we lose more players as well. :ffic:

I love Holland and always will. Good player who's in the top percentage of players at his position.

Right now the only safety who could be considered close to elite is the kid in Baltimore. If he continues to play like he did in his 2nd season, he will potentially be the best in the league. I dont think anyone comes close.

Holland is good, but unfortunately not having the Flores schemes that highlighted his strengths has hampered his growth into a possible elite player. Let's see what Weaver has instore for Holland. He could possibly be a difference maker in Hollands career, taking him to another level?
That's why you can take those stupid PFF ratings with a grain of salt. If Kyle Hamilton didn't rate in their top three at safety, there is something wrong with the way they rate players at that position. That kid is noticeable on almost every play.

So... final answer.

At a board filled with some of the most partisan Dolphins fans on Earth, only 11% of them (us) consider Holland to be an elite safety.

It doesn't mean that he isn't, I guess... but it does prove my original point of 'most people do not view Holland as elite'.

I'll stand on that.

I think there's something in the fact that in a discussion about FS, only about 3-4 players names were actually brought up.

My assumption is that most people here probably couldn't name 10 Safeties from across the NFL.

Hard to take seriously someone saying their guy is "elite" when there doesn't seem to be any actual meat on the bone in this thread. Just a bunch of guy's saying 'I think he's neat!'

As far as I can tell, in 5 pages of posting not a single person actually laid out a case for the guy explaining what he does, how he ranks and who the other top players are.

I do not believe anyone who watches us play each week can make a reasonable argument with facts that support Holland being an elite player. People look at PFF grades and do not understand how their system works. Holland is very good at doing what we ask him to do without making a lot of mistakes or committing penalties; thus he gets solid PFF grades.

The easiest way to explain the faults in comparing PFF grades is to look at Sneed and McDuffie last year. Sneed had to cover elite WR each week and he was a huge reason the Chiefs shut down the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Yet his PFF grade was significantly lower than McDuffieā€™s because he made more mistakes versus tougher competition. Holland grades out well on PFF, but when you compare his tape to ā€œeliteā€ safeties it is lacking.

Now that I got that off my chest, I will say that his PFF grade does ā€œproveā€ that Holland is very good at what we ask him to do. I believe it is fair to consider him a very good player. My only knock on him is that he disappears for weeks at a time. Now that isnā€™t a bad thing, because he is clearly doing his job or youā€™d see mistakes, but he does not consistently impact games. I canā€™t give a player an elite grade when you donā€™t even notice if he is playing or not.

To be clear, he has faced adversity with different coaches and injuries. He could be elite this year.

Back
Top Bottom