Holmes n blocking | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Holmes n blocking

SR 7

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
i am watching the N.D. game vs OH. ST. on classic and OOOOOOOMAN did holmes lay out the nicest block I have ever seen a WR do. It was a reverse to Ginn JR. and Holmes out in the open dragged his man about 15 yards from inbounds all the way out of bounds. now i know what ppl mean by he can block very well. I missed that the first time i watched it live.

and his hometown is glade?(SP) FL

I like everything about Holmes. I have been saying I would like getting him in the draft. This guy is already an established receiver, excellent route running, great hands, balls of steel, good blocker, fast. I dont know what else you could ask for out of a receiver in the mid first round. I guess size but Steve Smith, Lavernus Coles, Antwan Randle El and Santana Moss have proven size is not the asset it once was in the new NFL.

PhinsPhan said:
I like everything about Holmes. I have been saying I would like getting him in the draft. This guy is already an established receiver, excellent route running, great hands, balls of steel, good blocker, fast. I dont know what else you could ask for out of a receiver in the mid first round. I guess size but Steve Smith, Lavernus Coles, Antwan Randle El and Santana Moss have proven size is not the asset it once was in the new NFL.

i think the thing is that HE prob doesnt have as much upside as Jackson does. he is laready polishhed but jackson is still raw in some areas.

I like Holmes, but I like Chad more due to his size. We could use a bigger WR opposite of Chambers. Someone like a Moss like DC is use to bombing them too.

Holmes is an absolutely outstanding blocker. He plays much bigger and much stronger than Jackson. He plays like a guy who is more like 6' 205. Outstanding body control and toughness.

I've always thought Holmes was the better polished WR in the draft, thats why my mock always had Jackson because I figured Holmes would be the 1st WR taken. I like both WR's and both bring alot to the table and I hope we can land either one of them.

Holmes is a great all around WR. I remember watching him break out as a freshman. It was like Ted Ginn Jr. only a year earlier. He paved the way for Antonio Pittman's 1,000 yard season. Tressel switched to a spread offense with Holmes and Ginn, but with Tressel you have to be able to block to allow the running game to work. Holmes is great and I hope people keep over evaluating him so he drops to 16.

People talk about Jacksons size but how many 6;0"+ 200lbs+ receivers can run a sub 4.50 40s. The answer is there are alot.

Roy Williams
Reggie Williams
Michael Jenkins
Devard Darling
Charles Rogers
Andre Johnson
Taylor Jacobs
Kelly Washington
Bryant Johnson
Tyrone Calico
Donte Stallworth
David Terrell
Koren Robinson

Some of those are good and some are bad. Size and speed I don't feel are as good of indicators of WRs as people think they might be. I feel that a receivers route running (which is vastly underrated), character, work ethic, college career combine for much more important features. Obviously there are probably example proving vice versa too.

But Guys like:
Larry Fitzgerald
Anquan Boldin
Antwan Randle el
Terrell Owens
Jerry Rice
Chad Johnson
Steve Smith
Santana Moss

These guys have proven successful and all had either speed or size concerns. A notable case is Anquan Boldin where he is obviously an elite receiver now but was downgraded severely because of his 4.75 40 time and was not considered for what he did in college.

Now this isnt a well researched topic but I am just saying I think as far as Jacksons size and speed go, they are over rated and shouldn't automatically rate a receiver better than one that in my opinion has one weakness of being 5'10" 5/8ths. Just my feelings.

PhinsPhan said:
People talk about Jacksons size but how many 6;0"+ 200lbs+ receivers can run a sub 4.50 40s. The answer is there are alot.

Roy Williams
Reggie Williams
Michael Jenkins
Devard Darling
Charles Rogers
Andre Johnson
Taylor Jacobs
Kelly Washington
Bryant Johnson
Tyrone Calico
Donte Stallworth
David Terrell
Koren Robinson

Some of those are good and some are bad. Size and speed I don't feel are as good of indicators of WRs as people think they might be. I feel that a receivers route running (which is vastly underrated), character, work ethic, college career combine for much more important features. Obviously there are probably example proving vice versa too.

But Guys like:
Larry Fitzgerald
Anquan Boldin
Antwan Randle el
Terrell Owens
Jerry Rice
Chad Johnson
Steve Smith
Santana Moss

These guys have proven successful and all had either speed or size concerns. A notable case is Anquan Boldin where he is obviously an elite receiver now but was downgraded severely because of his 4.75 40 time and was not considered for what he did in college.

Now this isnt a well researched topic but I am just saying I think as far as Jacksons size and speed go, they are over rated and shouldn't automatically rate a receiver better than one that in my opinion has one weakness of being 5'10" 5/8ths. Just my feelings.

Very good point!

Back
Top Bottom