How About Ogunleye For A Pro Bowl Guard? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How About Ogunleye For A Pro Bowl Guard?

miamirw

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not saying I don't want Ogunleye signed. We need him. But if we can't get him into camp by week 3 of the preseason, we should start looking to cash him in for some talent. By that time we'll know if some of these youngings who look good in camp are capable of filling Ogun's shoes.

With all of that said, I look at our team right now and the biggest hole we have on offense is not RB or WR. It's RG. All the reports I've been hearing are that we have a big leak on our hands at that spot and it's disrupting what our QB's can get done.

We should look around the league at the best guards in football and we should offer up Ogunleye for the best one out there.

Who is the best guard out there? Who's the best in the league? That's the guy we should make a push for and plug him right in there on our right side.

So far, the left side of our line looks fantastic. McKinney looks very good up front and Carey looks like he will be able to do the job at the RT spot, but he needs some help. We get MCIntosh back in week 2, and he'll either start at RT or offer us some good back up at both Tackle spots. The guard spot is where we're in trouble.

I'd go after Chris Naeole, someone of that ilk.

Or someone mentioned a Ogunleye to Dallas for Andrew Gurode and Antonio Bryant trade. That might not be a bad idea.

Ogun might come to his senses in the next week. I hope he does, but we still have a very serious potential problem at RG. If we don't trade for him, we might have to move Carey inside.

No No and No.....We must do anything we can to keep Ogunluye

I want to keep Ogunleye. I agree. I'm just saying, if he doesn't come to terms by Sept. 12th, his value diminishes exponentially. We face the prospect of getting him for 6 games and that's it.

In that scenario, I'd use Ogunleye to build the future Oline of our team.

BTW, here's a list of possible high level guards:

1. Alan Faneca
2. Will Shields
3. Chris Naeoli
4. Erich Steinbach
5. Ed Mulitalo
6. Steve Hutchinson
7. Marco Rivera

We could probably pull another player out of teams with #4-#7.

Hope we get Ogun signed, but we better get something for him if it gets down to the end.

I personally want to keep Ogun.

If we do go for a guard, Steve Hutchinson is actually from here (Coral Springs High School) and he is a mauler. I really like this guy! But I doubt that Seattle will give him up.

yeah getting teams to give you their best guard isn't an easy thing to do... even for ogun, but id be up for it, you know i feel our D will still do well enough without ogun (obviously it would be nice if we had him but we still got enoughskill around him)... but our O would benefit tremendously from another BIG offensive key...

so basically if a good enough trade was layed down for an OL or WR or RB id say **** it, our D will survive and our O will get a big boost, id trade him...

thats just crazy...you trade a star DE for a guard!!!!!!!!!!! no way...i want ogun but if i was going to trade him it would be for a young stud Rb or Wr and some picks....if you need a lineman you trade for tackle not guard

Lights out is correct, Guard is the least important position of the offensive lineman. Not to mention we have Jeno James and Vernon Carey, who will be the starters for a looooong time.

O.K., we'll take Marshall Faulk. As a sidebar they get Derrius Thompson and we get Issac Bruce.

I've heard the argument that guard is the least important position on the line, however, we have the other pieces. right now our RG spot is terrible. Maybe Carey can move in, but the team seems to think his best position is tackle. That was certainly the case in college.

As for the trade itself, I'm of the opinion that you keep Ogun. BUT if the guy won't sign by the season opener then you have no choice but to trade him. Do you really want to end up with nothing in the end? I don't.

One last point on the guard thing. You're not getting Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden or Walter Jones (someone of that caliber) for Ogunleye. It just ain't happenin (If we can get that deal, I say do it yesterday). Let's be a little more realistic. A pro bowl level guard like Alan Faneca or Steve Hutchinson is much more likely. That's all I'm saying.

U cant begin to estimate a goood DE on the other side of a great DE...they cause some much havic hard to help and double one side they both feed of each other its race to the quarter back which in turn keeps that RB in backfield instead of running loose for a dump off which then leads to LB's either blitzing (seau specialty) or extra guys in coverage for some picks...basically what i'm saying is that a DE is worth twice what a guard is

I agree with you Lights. Not disputing your point. Pound for pound the DE is more important that guard. I'm just talkin value here. We gotta get something for Ogun if he's not going to sign in the preseason.

And specifically, if it's a choice between a solid starting caliber tackle or the best guard in the game, I'm going to choose the latter. A line of:

Smith - James - McKinney - Faneca - Carey

sure looks good.

Let's hope we get Ogs inked soon though.

Ogunleye will be signed, it's inevitable. We have the cap room to give him a decent pay day. And trading him would just be a mistake, he's a high caliber defensive end who's proven he can be a vital asset to our defense.

Phinz4Life said:
Ogunleye will be signed, it's inevitable. We have the cap room to give him a decent pay day. And trading him would just be a mistake, he's a high caliber defensive end who's proven he can be a vital asset to our defense.

*Correction* He's proved he can play one year successfully. Our defense won games without Ogun before. And I'm sure they can do it again. As of now there is an extreme focus on defense. We need to open up the defense. We picked up some great draft picks. I say sign Ogun short term, 1-3 years small salery. With some big incentives. If he can PROVE he can play well for an extended period I say get him. Rememebr there was atime Ogun was hurt, and no one wanted him. Miami went out on a limb. He owes Miami that...

Back
Top Bottom