How about some pointers on my mock

Hipster

Scout Team
Reaction score
Trade down in the first for another second

1 Anthony Costanzo, OT Boston College

This allows us to move Carey inside which should improve the line greatly

2 TJ Yates, QB North Carolina

We have to draft a QB, while this looks like a reach here, we are simply not in position to grab a top level QB. More on this later.

3 Zach Pinalto, TE North Carolina

A good blocker which will be critical as we try to get the running game going and our QB upright

4 Quinton Carter, FS Oklahoma

Better hands than Clemons, should push him for the job. Loser improves special teams

5 Andy Dalton, QB TCU

Double up on QB's. Both have concerns but have the talent to surprise. If one pans out, great

6 Will Rackey, OG Lehigh

Just plugging in a name here, but depth on the O-Line is a must

7 Philip Rivas, PR/KR Louisiana Tech

Its time we draft a guys whose specialty is returns. Need to help our special teams

7 Derrick Washington, RB Missouri

Take a flyer on a RB in the seventh who may be able to contribute, if not, it won't be the first 7th rounder that didn't

FA
DeAngelo Williams (RB). This guy is still fast as lightning and has the ability to make huge plays.

Drew Stanton (QB). Played well on a mediocre team where he didn't get most of the starting reps in training camp. Might be able to hold the fort down while our rooks develop

Fred Evans (DT) Bring back an old name for depth. Still fairly young for a DT

Resign Hilliard, Incognito, Soliai. All other free agents gone.

Reasoning: Bring in 3 promising guys at QB, hopefully one can be the long term solution. Sparano gets to keep his job by starting the vet in Stanton. I'd like to do better at QB, but there is nothing else out there.
Revamp the running game with WIlliams. Backup RB's are easy to find. Hilliard or Washington should be just fine.
Our O-Line should be great provided the guys don't get yanked in and out of the lineup (Long-Jerry-Incognito-Carey-Costanzo). I don't like FA lineman, because they don't tend to repeat success with different blocking schemes.

Basically, I'm counting on internal improvement on a D that wasn't too shabby last year by getting healthy (Odrick, Edds, Merling) and another year for Clemons, Davis and Smith. I think an improved Oline and running game will help Stanton out and our recievers are pretty good (Bess and marshall obviously, and Hartline is a decent 3rd).

OK, Rip it apart.

First pointer: It's way too early for mock drafts.

Second pointer: Mock drafts with projected trades are a fail.

Third pointer: We need an athletic pass catching tight end, not a blocking tight end.

Fourth pointer: TJ Yates is not a 2nd round pick. I like the guy, but that's too high for him.

Fifth pointer: The notion that we go into the season with TJ Yates, Andy Dalton and Drew Stanton as our quarterbacks makes me want to puke. That is an act of terrorism.

Sixth pointer: See first pointer.

Constanzo is a quality first round O-lineman, as is Solder and Carimi (I think any of the three would be great if we take an OL), I also think Pouncey at Center would be ok, and he could probably play another position as Berger is doing a nice job at C.

We definitely have to add some RB's and QB's. I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted two running backs and QB's. Mel Kiper seems to think we will take Mark Ingram in Round One. I would rather trade down and go after Mikel LaShoure of Illinois later in the first. I would check to see of Denver would be willing to part with Orton for a 2nd rounder (if we trade down). If not than I think we take the BPA in the 2nd round and biggest need. We could use a good receiver/blocking TE and another solid CB.

I think I might be the biggest Yates supporter but at this point there's no need for taking him in the 2nd. I would agree that it's really hard to create mock drafts at this point

You had me at trade down, then lost everything with wasting the 2nd round pick on Yates. And for the others on here I can only hope to God that there is no CBA in place so that if we do trade down we can't send it to Denver for Orton. Oh Dear God in Heaven. Please block the CBA so I do not have to see Orton in a Miami uniform. Amen.

Trade down in first. Grab Pouncey in the mid 20s.

And why are we resigning Incognito. I thought the idea of an offseason was to make the team better. This guy is crap. PURE CRAP. Anybody who thinks otherwise needs to go back and watch any game again and focus on him. PURE CRAP.

You had me at trade down, then lost everything with wasting the 2nd round pick on Yates. And for the others on here I can only hope to God that there is no CBA in place so that if we do trade down we can't send it to Denver for Orton. Oh Dear God in Heaven. Please block the CBA so I do not have to see Orton in a Miami uniform. Amen.

And why are we resigning Incognito. I thought the idea of an offseason was to make the team better. This guy is crap. PURE CRAP. Anybody who thinks otherwise needs to go back and watch any game again and focus on him. PURE CRAP.

He underachieved at LG, but that was not why he was brought in. He was supposed to be at RG, but when Garner went down and Jerry was so successful at RG, we moved Ritchie to the left side as I'm guessing he was our best option. He had no reps at C against Chicago, but in the Detroit (the game he prepped for Center) game he was real effective at Center, and when Murtha went down and we shuffled the line and kicked Ritchie back to LG, our line suffered.

I think if you draft Pouncey, like you want to do . . . and pick up that second round pick . . . it is possible an effective line of Long-Pouncey-Incognito-Jerry-Carey . . . could be more than effective. Keep Garner and Berger as your primary depth (also another OT prospect and another OG/C prospect).

You can't keep pouring tons of money into this OLine, you have to eventually develop some guys, and we need playmakers on offense.

you got that right...lol

Back
Top Bottom