How Can Miami Remain Competitive With Free Agent Losses? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Can Miami Remain Competitive With Free Agent Losses?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Hard to imagine, as of early March, that Miami will have a net gain in talent for 2024. Of course, a lot can happen and you never know what the draft can bring. Also, if you haven't noticed, Buffalo is in a similar boat.

Looking at the talent in the draft, maybe the strategy should be to get to the point where the Dolphins can dictate the run game. With a plethora of offensive linemen, this could be achievable even if Grier is able to move down and get more draft picks. Lots of physical run blockers and a good group of centers too.

A bigger, physical back would certainly help as well. Maybe Estime or Allen in the draft or Dillon as a relatively cheap free agent option.

Have to think the defense is at least a tick down if Miami loses Wilkins. But if McDaniel can take the run game to another level, it could balance things out.

Hard to imagine, as of early March, that Miami will have a net gain in talent for 2024. Of course, a lot can happen and you never know what the draft can bring. Also, if you haven't noticed, Buffalo is in a similar boat.

Looking at the talent in the draft, maybe the strategy should be to get to the point where the Dolphins can dictate the run game. With a plethora of offensive linemen, this could be achievable even if Grier is able to move down and get more draft picks. Lots of physical run blockers and a good group of centers too.

A bigger, physical back would certainly help as well. Maybe Estime or Allen in the draft or Dillon as a relatively cheap free agent option.

Have to think the defense is at least a tick down if Miami loses Wilkins. But if McDaniel can take the run game to another level, it could balance things out.
Buffalo at least have 11 picks in the draft while we only have 6(4 of those on day 3)
Buffalo's losing some players that they don’t care about losing......our top free agents are Wilkins/Hunt/AVG/Williams/Elliott

Who we lose and who we keep from those 5 will tell us where we stand going into the draft

Nice post brother. More then ever we are going to have to do our homework on the UDFA's and be aggressive as to who we sign if we see a good possible fit on the team. :ffic:
I never anticipated that Miami could lose both Wilkins and Hunt. Obviously, a lot can happen over the next few days so you never know.

If that does happen, I hope Grier can get long-term deals with Phillips, Waddle and Holland.

Amazon Studios Hard Time GIF by Amazon Prime Video

news flash we wont be as good. which is why i want drastic change. give me Penix or fields
So you want the Dolphins to draft Penix or trade for Fields so the Dolphins will lose enough games in 2024 to have a top 5 pick in the 2025 draft?

I guess you just want another complete rebuild and to that I say, no thank you.

Penix would be a major downgrade from Tua and Fields has shown in Chicago that he is nothing but a bottom tier starter in the NFL.

Wilkins still could be the deciding piece.

Wilkins still wants to stay in Miami, while Miami still wants to keep him.

As he find out what the market on him is, don't be surprised if Miami and the Wilkin people are at the negotiating table one last time to try and close in on a contract both can live with.

If he comes back, the draft could be mostly fixing the line with two early pieces (JPJ?), and maybe another receiving weapon (WR, TE), while FA is about bringing in inexpensive, but solid pieces at DB, LB, TE, and/or maybe WR, D-Line help.

I still believe Miami will still be able to be as talented or maybe more if things go right, then 2023 when Miami was one of the most talented teams in NFL.

PLEASE STAY SOMEWHAT HEALTHY FOR 2024/25 SEASON!!

Get used to it. Once you commit to paying the QB only certain positions get fed. QB, OT,DE, CB and WR are the only players Grier is going to spend on from this point on. I’ve no problem with it either. If anything derails the season, it’s going to be Chubb and Phillips not being factors the first half of the season.

I don't seem to remember being in a position to bleed this much talent since 1995. That's good to have players who will draw interest in FA and make big bucks, because Miami made good picks. But it's tough to see those guys walk.
The end of round 1 will be interesting: If that Oregon center is there, I think he has to be the pick, unless a center has been brought in to replace Williams. Still, I think it's gotta be OLINE at round 1.
I would love to see a trade down, but it reeeeallllly depends on who is sitting there. Maybe a trade down then grab that OLINEman from Duke.

Back
Top Bottom