how do you guys feel about the QB competition, and competition in general? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

how do you guys feel about the QB competition, and competition in general?

mario88vega

Starter
Reaction score
I think any competition on this team is a positive, no matter what position!
look at what happened with Drew Brees lat year after his job was challenged, i just believe competition pushes guys, makes it more interesting, and gives us a chance to find new talent......

I know what your saying about Brees, but AJ had that last year and look what happened. AT the end of the year when Fiedler was on IR he played good (better). I hope Saban doesnt even think of starting another QB.

mario88vega said:
I think any competition on this team is a positive, no matter what position!
look at what happened with Drew Brees lat year after his job was challenged, i just believe competition pushes guys, makes it more interesting, and gives us a chance to find new talent......

Drew Brees was given the job because Philip Rivers held out. There was no competition involved. They couldn't start Rivers when he played in what? Two PS games?

If it's AJ/Gus (which it will be) then I don't mind it as long as it's understood AJ gets the job no matter what... That's the only good competition (Except don't let Feeley know he's got the job, make him think he must "earn" it). Gus is a 33 year old journeyman). AJ Feeley is still young and showed a lot of potential the last few games of the season.

If Gus has a serious shot at being the starter in 05, then a QB is a must at #2.

Having a full quarterback competition is another way of saying "I don't have a quarterback."

I still say that if we don't have the confidence in AJ to make him the guy this year, then we MUST draft a quarterback with our pick.

DO NOT fool around with this position. This is the one position that has held this team back since Marino's retirement, and this is the position that ultimately costs many coaches their jobs.

i think a qb competion is the greatest way to choose your qb.......it pushes both qbs to their fullest potential and it makes whoever wins more confident

KB21 said:
Having a full quarterback competition is another way of saying "I don't have a quarterback."

I still say that if we don't have the confidence in AJ to make him the guy this year, then we MUST draft a quarterback with our pick.

DO NOT fool around with this position. This is the one position that has held this team back since Marino's retirement, and this is the position that ultimately costs many coaches their jobs.

I agree, i'm a little worried about this qb competition, was hoping we had put the qb controversy behind us

KB21 said:

Right, "If you have two QB's, you really don't have one." If Gus wins the job then he should be the starter, Aj didn't prove anything to me last season other than he's consistently inconsistent. I really hope Alex Smith is drafted with the #2, after the college football season I liked Rodgers more than Smith, but if Smith has an incredible workout he's gonna jump ahead of Rodgers and be taken #1 IMO.

The controversy, in itself, will only be ended when this team has a quarterback that takes the reigns and leaves no doubt as to whom should be the starter.

The situation with AJ is a bit different though. He's a young quarterback that has shown the potential to be an above average starter in terms of the talent that he has. He has also shown that he has some things that he needs to work though, and to do so, he needs to play. The season he had last year would have wrecked the psyche of many young quarterbacks, and I believe that letting the doubt in that he may not be the guy to go with in the long run could do more harm than good.

This is the toughest position to evaluate in football. There appears to be a thin line between giving up too early on a young quarterback and sticking with him for too long. The patience Seattle exhibited with Matt Hasselbeck paid off in the end, and San Diego had all but given up on Drew Brees. Conversely, you have situations like Miami sticking with Jay Fiedler despite the obvious fact that he couldn't do the job.

I think competition is good but it must be decided quickly. Cotinuity is one of the most important things you need to establish in training camp. Pick a starter early and stick with him.

This is especially important on the O-line.

KB21 said:

After listening to Nick's interview today, I think there's a very good chance he'll do exactly that. I think our pick will be Rodgers or Smith. This draft is so loaded at RB, someone potentially better than Brown/Caddy/Benson will be available with our 3rd rounder (or even 2nd rounder if we get one for Surtain).

KB21 said:
The controversy, in itself, will only be ended when this team has a quarterback that takes the reigns and leaves no doubt as to whom should be the starter.

The situation with AJ is a bit different though. He's a young quarterback that has shown the potential to be an above average starter in terms of the talent that he has. He has also shown that he has some things that he needs to work though, and to do so, he needs to play. The season he had last year would have wrecked the psyche of many young quarterbacks, and I believe that letting the doubt in that he may not be the guy to go with in the long run could do more harm than good.

This is the toughest position to evaluate in football. There appears to be a thin line between giving up too early on a young quarterback and sticking with him for too long. The patience Seattle exhibited with Matt Hasselbeck paid off in the end, and San Diego had all but given up on Drew Brees. Conversely, you have situations like Miami sticking with Jay Fiedler despite the obvious fact that he couldn't do the job.

Perfectly written, and on target.

I really believe Miami will pass on the big 3 this upcoming draft. Although I'm not in love with idea of passing these guys up, the QB position can no longer be ignored and have blind faith put into it. I like AJ and think he has ability, but if he fails the dolphins are setback. It's not like there's a QB list loaded for next year past Leinart.

Look at the recent years of RB. Kevin Jones and Stephen Jackson wern't top picks, and both look like they will have fine careers. Besides, next year will have some solid backs too. The QB position next year will be extremely weak after Leinart is drafted too (as I mentioned before).

I'm not really high on Aaron Rodgers, but I do like Alex Smith a lot. I think he has the "it" factor. He is a great decision maker and is a smart player, period. His attributes have little or no question marks, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom