How high is Tannehill's ceiling?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin_Frenzy_84, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

Tannehill clearly keeps improving so let me hear people's opinions on how much better can Ryan Tannehill get? Throw some comparisons out there!

2. Shouright

Shouright Banned Hammered

3. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

If you weren't seeing the steps forward the last 7 weeks you weren't looking.The last 5 were larger steps.

They started after the last pats loss and went up hill till the last Pats win.

4. Fins_of_Fury

Fins_of_Fury In a contract year

His ability is steadily improving and he rarely makes the same mistake twice. I don't think we should quantify it, his ability to improve is limitless.

5. NJPHINFAN79

NJPHINFAN79 A True Fan

Cheech and Chong are jealous if that's an indication

6. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

I can't imagine what this kid does with a bit more experience, a solid oline and a run game.

With those two things I think he can be as good as anyone in the next few years. He's proven with any sort of run game and protection he can be one heck of a productive qb. When you look at Foles and Russell, both those guys have insanely good run games to work off of.

Tannehill has similar numbers if not better in a lot of categories to them with one of the worst run gems in the NFL. That's pretty impressive.

7. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

I don't believe in ceilings or trying to put a ceiling on someone. A few years ago Alex Smith was said to be a bust and have no ceiling at all. Look at him now. Same applies for Tannehill. The sky is the limit with this kid.

8. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

He has gotten better on almost everything. He still needs work with his long passes but he can get better at that too with time.

Ozzy rules!!

9. Ruckus45

Ruckus45 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Manningesque if you give him 12 more years.

10. AphexPhin

AphexPhin A True Fan

agreed.

11. zach attach

zach attach A True Fan Donator

A-Aron Rodgers ceiling. He sat for how long? Tannehill is just beginning to use his talents effectively. Imagine a year or two more.

Philbin knows what he made with A-Aron, e's going to mold Tanny that way.

12. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

He's also been lucky enough to play with two teams who are top 5 in pass protection, running, and defense.

The way the broncos made easy work of the chiefs is all you need to see how limited smith is. Put alex smith on the jets, and there still the same exact team.

13. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

I'm not really comparing Tannehill to Smith. I think Tanne will be better.....but I think ceilings are a made up opinions that mean absolutely nothing.

14. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i've already said my piece on this and well before the tides started a turning...we are very fortunate

15. WVDolphan

WVDolphan Banned Hammered

Well if I had his kind of money, I would get one of those homes with the really high ceilings. With all of that square footage and having it built the way you like it, why not? Im really tall so I like plenty of space when I move around. Just guessing but, I would say his ceiling is at least 12 ft in his living room.

16. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

17. twohype

twohype Seasoned Veteran

Bingo........how high is the sky......then start looking up :)

18. twohype

twohype Seasoned Veteran

Bingo....we have a winner.......of course the Phinz must fix the DANM offensive line ASAP

19. MiZFiT

MiZFiT FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Except Tanny works with Zac and Sherman on a day to day basis. Regardless he is in good hands though

20. xXwarXx

xXwarXx Banned Hammered

All of our opinions here on the NFL, pretty much mean absolutely nothing.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on who you are I guess. Don't really see what's wrong with discussing a players ceiling though. Its a legit question.

21. The Goat

The Goat Escape Goat

There's still room on the bandwagon.

I know you jumped off and then started shooting the bandwagon with a shotgun...but it rolls on.

22. LoneyROY7

LoneyROY7 A True Fan

A multiple-time super bowl champion.

23. LoneStarPhin

LoneStarPhin Well-Known Member

Ceiling? Sistine Chapel, Baby!

24. Wadeshow

Wadeshow Rookie

If he wins us a super bowl he enters into a special group of ppl that includes wade and riles.

His ceiling is whatever he wants it to be.

25. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

When he was drafted, I thought he would fall somewhere between Tony Romo and Aaron Rodgers. I'm not sure he quite gets to Rodgers' level, but he has some of the same qualities.

26. zachblitz54

zachblitz54 Juck the Fets

If he masters the deep ball, unlimited.

27. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

So, for everyone's education...please enlighten us with exactly what steps forward you have been seeing.

28. dolphans1

dolphans1 Banned Hammered

OMG, that's asking a lot, they ran Peyton Manning out, and Manning is having his best years yet. The Colts were positioning for the future, so let me ask you guys this.

Did the Colts make a horrible mistake, especially if Manning wins another Super Bowl.

If Peyton Manning wins a another Super Bowl, as a starter- for a different team, he would without a doubt have to go down as the greatest QB of all time.

Marino was a rare breed, so is Brady and OMG, so is Peyton Manning.

12 years is a long time, and as Jerry Glanville once said, NFL stands for "Not-For-Long". If you're not producing by 4-5 years , you're probably not going to last much longer.

Tom Brady is winning with trash receivers.

29. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

This is the intriguing question. When the background is very unusual, my theory is to ignore the playing characteristics and conclude that there were reasons for the detours, and the raves will fall short. It works the majority of the time. That's the way I think, to quickly identify the majority outcome, without much stress or subjectivity or second guessing. Others prefer to look at each case individually.

I didn't like the background of Tannehill or Weeden in that draft. When a guy has a strange history I don't mind taking him at a value spot but not premium. I always cringe when draftniks ignore that a guy is 26 or 28 years old or whatever and projected to the first round. That's fine with special cases like Roger Staubach or David Robinson but otherwise you are just asking to be burned.

30. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

To be fair Russell Wilson had a strange history too, by your standards. The flirtation with baseball and the height, for example, were both oddities. I've seen you post many times that people rarely become special if they're waffling about what they want to be so late in life. And how many quarterbacks that height have we seen come in and succeed?

The problem is you don't get to draft a hundred quarterbacks the way you get to make a hundred bets so you can't afford to be so broad. You only get a few chances. The only guy who fit all the criteria was Luck, and he went #1, as will just about every quarterback who comes down the pipe with that kind of resume.

31. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

I still believe that he has the highest upside of the QBs is his draft class. He wasn't quite as much of a boom or bust prospect as RG3, but he was in that category.

32. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The Creation of a Quarterback: Sistine Edition!

Creation_of_QB_Sistine_Chapel1a.jpg

33. Shouright

Another "Rorschach" thread. "Please, give me your opinion on something with a great deal of ambiguity, that no one can possibly know with great certainty."

Unsurprisingly, the strongest predictor of the nature of the response is the depth of one's emotional investment in the Miami Dolphins, which of course there is no shortage of on this site.

Consequently, it becomes a "tell me what I'd like to hear" thread, in which people get some sort of "confirmation" of what they'd like to believe from other like-minded individuals, all the while ignoring the objective evidence available.

I believe you'll find this same thing going on in just about any church this Sunday. It's called "religion." :)

34. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

LDaniel7 - The sistine edition is perhaps one of your finest graphic artworks.. Does this make you the Michelangelo of finheaven?
    That is a rhetorical question. Let us hope that 2013 commences the start of the next Dolphins renaissance.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013
  35. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Thanks a bunch, Spiketex! Much appreciated. Actually I was surprised at how it came together, and the evocative imagery. Pretty neat.

And just enough to drive Shouright crazy, lol -- an added bonus! (hahaha -- forgive me Shou, couldn't resist).

LD
    and p.s. I think Vaark is the resident Michaelangelo, lol. I'm just a gradeschool kid playing w. fingerpaint. :hi5:

And p.s. 2. The Mods ought to create a "Finheaven Pic of the Month" thread/award. If so, I'm submitting "The Creation of a Quarterback: Sistine Edition" to the contest! :up:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2013
  36. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

LD, your modesty is only matched by your good looks. Michelangelo spent over 4 years on his back (1508 -1512) painting the Sistine Chapel ceiling (the Cardinals need something to inspire them when they look to the heavens when electing each new pontiff). BTW Vaark is our Raphael.

37. Al13

Al13 Don´t mess with Clint

i wouldn't know why you could open your mouth on this, you are already busted and declared him a bust

38. Shouright

Please find for me that post if you would. :)

39. Al13

anyways the coaching staff deserves some credit on this one, we know ryan can run, but it looks like the emphasis from our coaching staff was to develop ryan in the pocket from day 1, look at all those other QB's that got drafted last year, besides russell wilson....who is still performing at a high level, although i would like to see him how he does if he gets behind and has to win a game for his team, but anyways RGIII read option....Kaepernick....read option......

It looks like that read option has been figured out and these 2 guys struggle because of that, because they have not been developed to stay inside the pocket and create through the air, andrew luck the new great savior is crashing back to earth because he also gets to know how it feels if there is no talent around to throw to, like ryan had to deal with last year....all in all there isn't one QB i rather have from last years class than tannehill, he is our guy and the rest of the league will have to deal with it for the next 10+ years

40. Al13

well you have to move over to another forum....to see