How long for a WR? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How long for a WR?

fint0xicated

My Son, The Future Classic....
Reaction score
How long would it take for a new receiver to come in at this point, or later in the preseason, to learn the system? I know QB takes time but never really gave thought about this one. I know Christina Carter came in and was awful, but it was awfully late in the season as well. If the timing is roughly close to that of a QB as far as timing and learning the play terminology, one would think they would bring Freeman in for cheap now, as well as putting more effort in making a trade happen. And If it does take several weeks to learn the system and we don't do anything soon, wouldn't we get more productivity from the WR core we have now that know the system? Just my opinion, unless of course someone can come in and contribute right away. Thoughts?

i guess it would depend on several factors. Like the experience a WR has. If he has played for several teams or for a long time it is more likely that he would have played in differnt kinds of offenses and would allow him when switching to a new team.

DallasDolfan said:
It depends. I believe Muck could come in and make an immediate impact!!!
:lol:

Yea but thats "THE" Muck. Not everybody can be great. :up:

the old adage states it takes 3 years for a rookie WR to reach full potential.

a vet takes about 1 full year to truly reach his potential in a new system.

a lot of factors are involved....
intelligence
familiarity with the playbook, jargon, coaches, QB
reps in practice
lots more

for example, TO will produce faster in PHI vs BAL because its nearly the same system and he's gotten to know McNabb at Pro Bowls and they spent alot of precamp time together at McNabb's house this summer working on timing and breaks (could find the link if given the time). not too mention TO is indisputed first rec option and will get plenty of reps in camp.

a new guy for us would be playing alot of catchup and since he is not #1, he would get less chances to speed up his learning curve and chemistry with our QB. other factors are involved.

a safe bet would say Dbo had the best chance to be fully productive this year. any new guy will take until week 8 or later to reach full potential this year. IMO

NathanHunt said:
a lot of factors are involved....
intelligence
familiarity with the playbook, jargon, coaches, QB
reps in practice
lots more

IMO

This validates my point. Muck covers "most" of these!!

Back
Top Bottom