How much does a bad Combine/Proday effect stock? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much does a bad Combine/Proday effect stock?

dolphinator86

You are TERMINATED!!
Reaction score
I have seen alot of post and articles and TV spots that show a kid having a bad combine or a poor pro-day and i was wondering how much this can effect draft stock...does it affect it at all? IMO i think it does but i dont think it is fair i think the workouts should only be looked at as position specific evaluations like if a WR has good hands or if a QB can make the hohum throws and if D-linemen have the basic footwork and stuff like that but a vertical 3 inches lower than expected or a forty 2 tenths slower then you want drops a guy 20 picks. I think film and game play SHOULD be the major thing scouts and GM's look at. If a guy can get the job done with the pads on then his body of work should be the primary factor. Now i understand that some lower round guy a workout can help the possibility that he gets actually drafted but WAAAAAAAAAAAY to much is put on workouts and do not get me started on how much they hark on the 40 WHO RUNS IN A 40 YARD STRAIGHT LINE in a football game ill tell you kickoff teams and you dont see a single guy who runs a 4.3 on a special teams kickoff (team actually kicking off) team. I mean look at Davis TE out of USC we know this guy gets the job done has great athletic ability and can catch and block but a bad pro day and now i see posting around the web about how me might be in the mid-late second now i thought he was a late first or early second round pick so he didnt fall a ton but he fell over half a round because of one day.I dont know the circumstances of the workout or if he was overweight or just didnt look good but give all these KIDS a break. Look at some guys who feel because of various reasons. Brady(1 in a million SPECIAL CASE) Moss, Thurman thomas, Emmit smith, Big Ben, those are a few and im sure there are tons more that have fallen NOT becasue of on field play but a bad workout number.

This is just my opinion but i think the body of work speaks for itself and im looking a guys who have been in the league a few years rookies get to much press. HEY SCOUTS NUMBERS ARE JUST THAT NUMBERS and football players are found on a FOOTBALL FIELD

I have seen alot of post and articles and TV spots that show a kid having a bad combine or a poor pro-day and i was wondering how much this can effect draft stock...does it affect it at all? IMO i think it does but i dont think it is fair i think the workouts should only be looked at as position specific evaluations like if a WR has good hands or if a QB can make the hohum throws and if D-linemen have the basic footwork and stuff like that but a vertical 3 inches lower than expected or a forty 2 tenths slower then you want drops a guy 20 picks. I think film and game play SHOULD be the major thing scouts and GM's look at. If a guy can get the job done with the pads on then his body of work should be the primary factor. Now i understand that some lower round guy a workout can help the possibility that he gets actually drafted but WAAAAAAAAAAAY to much is put on workouts and do not get me started on how much they hark on the 40 WHO RUNS IN A 40 YARD STRAIGHT LINE in a football game ill tell you kickoff teams and you dont see a single guy who runs a 4.3 on a special teams kickoff (team actually kicking off) team. I mean look at Davis TE out of USC we know this guy gets the job done has great athletic ability and can catch and block but a bad pro day and now i see posting around the web about how me might be in the mid-late second now i thought he was a late first or early second round pick so he didnt fall a ton but he fell over half a round because of one day.I dont know the circumstances of the workout or if he was overweight or just didnt look good but give all these KIDS a break. Look at some guys who feel because of various reasons. Brady(1 in a million SPECIAL CASE) Moss, Thurman thomas, Emmit smith, Big Ben, those are a few and im sure there are tons more that have fallen NOT becasue of on field play but a bad workout number.

This is just my opinion but i think the body of work speaks for itself and im looking a guys who have been in the league a few years rookies get to much press. HEY SCOUTS NUMBERS ARE JUST THAT NUMBERS and football players are found on a FOOTBALL FIELD

As a GM or scout i would only use workouts to seperate guys I thought were equal. Too often people run a fast or a slow 40 and teams go crazy. If not for his workout we would not have wasted a pick on Toledo.

apperently not that much considering a guy named matt ryan did not attend the combine yet all of a sudden after the combine he shot up to the top player in the draft even after guys like d.mcfadden ran a 2.37(unofficially) and chris long had a pretty good combine,jake long had a great combine..dorsey didnot attend and was injured yet he is still the top dt while ellis did great.

but i don't think it is as much for the top tier guys as it is for the bottom. look at comratrie(sp) small school kid was able to shoot his stock up considerably well also the dt from mcneese state u helped himself as well.

Back
Top Bottom