How much faith do you have in David Bowens? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much faith do you have in David Bowens?

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
If Ogunleye holds out and doesn't play, next in line is David Bowens. How much faith do you have in him? Will this hurt our DL dramatically? Or can he still produce good numbers with JT on the other sid?

Nublar7 said:
If Ogunleye holds out and doesn't play, next in line is David Bowens. How much faith do you have in him? Will this hurt our DL dramatically? Or can he still produce good numbers with JT on the other sid?

Bowens provides quality depth, key word depth as in I don't think he's ready to be a full-time starter. One thing O-Gun doesn't get enough credit for is his run defense, and that is where I see Bowens lacking the most. He will give you a few sacks throughout the year with his speed edge rush, and he'll get a few gifts because of the attention on Taylor...but if you're expecting him to be on par or even close to Wally I just don't see it happening. He also has some durability issues that could be troubling, but I think if Wale does hold out then Bowens/Williams/Grigsby are a nice trio to fall back on. It won't be the strength of this team but it won't be it's downfall either.

Finsflurry said:
Bowens provides quality depth, key word depth as in I don't think he's ready to be a full-time starter. One thing O-Gun doesn't get enough credit for is his run defense, and that is where I see Bowens lacking the most. He will give you a few sacks throughout the year with his speed edge rush, and he'll get a few gifts because of the attention on Taylor...but if you're expecting him to be on par or even close to Wally I just don't see it happening. He also has some durability issues that could be troubling, but I think if Wale does hold out then Bowens/Williams/Grigsby are a nice trio to fall back on. It won't be the strength of this team but it won't be it's downfall either.

I maybe mistaken but wasn't David Bowens slotted to start before he got injured and O-gun replaced him and had a good year?

Help me out here i can't remember. :confused:

Hellion said:
I maybe mistaken but wasn't David Bowens slotted to start before he got injured and O-gun replaced him and had a good year?

Help me out here i can't remember. :confused:

You're right, if I'm not mistaken wasn't this the season after we lost
Trace and landed Jay Williams? Then Bowens got hurt and Ogunleye
had that amazing preseason where he had like 3 sacks a game lol,
but yeah no one thought Ogunleye would be that good. Bowens I
would say is a minimal upgrade over Jay Williams, so depending on
how good you think Williams is, rate Bowens slightly higher than that
IMO.

Finsflurry said:
You're right, if I'm not mistaken wasn't this the season after we lost
Trace and landed Jay Williams? Then Bowens got hurt and Ogunleye
had that amazing preseason where he had like 3 sacks a game lol,
but yeah no one thought Ogunleye would be that good. Bowens I
would say is a minimal upgrade over Jay Williams, so depending on
how good you think Williams is, rate Bowens slightly higher than that
IMO.

Ok cool my memory is still working, well I guess I feel good enough about the secondary to be able to smother the recievers long enough for JT and D-Bo to get some pressure. so IF we don't sign O-Gun we should be ok, not great but ok.

I gotta agree with what most of you are saying here. If O-Gun does hold out (which I don't think he will), Bowens/WIlliams/Grigsby should be a competent trio and will hold the fort for us. O-Gun is a very solid player, I think anyone will admit that. However, I think a portion (how much I don't know) of his productivity results directly from having J-T on the other side being constantly double-teamed or chipped on by a TE or a RB.

Let's hope that O-Gun loses his selfish attitude and plays out the remaining year on his contract (just like Chambers is willing to do so he can really cash in next year). If he has another great year, you can bet that FO will step up and offer him a more than fair contract.

I'd rather see Ogunleye play. Bowens isn't bad but his production won't be close to what Ogunleye's would be.

OG will sign. He has to play six games to be considered a unrestricted free agent next year. Holding out till the final six games won't work because the Phins won't play him if he holds out that long and he'll still be a restricted free agent again next year. He doesn't have a card to play so his best shot is signing the long term deal the Phins give him. Rosenhaus and him are in a weak position to bargain for a top dollar contract. I think a deal will get done before he gives the Phins a chance to lower his tender to league minimum.

O-gun will sign

bobdroopy said:
I hope your right

O-gun is between a rock and a hard place. The hard place is no team seems to have an interest in him and he knows that sitting out 10 weeks is not going to help him next year in the FA market. The rock is the fact that Miami's D has so many superstars that they don't have to have him.

I think the best bet is that O-Gun will get as much money as he can for a one year deal....

--Ross

Ogun won't hold out. He'll sign. Sitting out the season is career suicide. I seriously doubt he is that dumb.

hold on someone explain it to me here. if the o-gun doesnt re-sign he'll be a FA at the end of the year and end up with less cash this season than if he were to sign the tender and become a FA at the end of year??? or does he not become a FA at the end of season if he signs the tender or sumthin like that???

Back
Top Bottom