How Pitts Fits Within the Secondary; Other Notes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Pitts Fits Within the Secondary; Other Notes

jimlerario

Active Roster
Reaction score
Pass interference in the end zone, then gives up a TD on 3rd down. 38 - 31, Eagles are up. Wears number 40 and his name is covered by his dreads.

Completely pushed the receiver in the end zone while the ball was midair. Then, McGloin fires one in at the far right of the endzone. Impressive throw and catch.

First one down on special teams, has the physical skills necessary, and will likely make the 53 for the potential he brings as a wildcard.

Played in 8 games last year. Went undrafted out of Pittsburgh, coincidentally. Called up from the practice squad mid season.

CB rotation:

LCB; Howard-Verner-Tankersley-Pitts
RCB: Maxwell-Verner-Tankersley-Pitts
Slot: McCain-Verner-Thomas-Pitts

S rotation:

Jones-Thomas-Aikens
McDonald-Allen-Aikens

10 spots already without counting the suspended McDonald.

Pitts is essentially a faster Walt Aikens for the special teams unit, but Walt Aikens has already earned some stripes from his nifty plays during last years run. Pitts needs improvement at Cornerback if he intends on earning additional responsibility. For now, Walk Aikens has the blueprint Pitts should use as guidance.

Let's hope Verner continues his shimmering reemergence and Pitts shifts his focus on making special plays on special teams.

Lastly, here is a shout out for Tony Lippett, who showed receptive talent last year and will have a spot waiting once he returns.

Last edited:
Gunner on specials if Pitts makes it. Corner play would get him cut

Smith kid from Ga is showing up, so I believe Pitts and Akins jobs could be in question especially with Adkins hurt.

I'm curious if Smith makes it at safety

Injuries. Pitts is a practice squad player if eligible until we get injuries, then maybe he gets a shot.

Realize that this year we brought back all of our CB's and added a draft pick in Tankersley, and a free agent who has worked out well in Alteraun Verner. Pitts was always on the outside looking in. The Lippett injury gets him closer to making the roster, but IMHO, he's still on the fringe.

This year will be new with the whole dramatic cut down from 90 to the regular season roster in one fell swoop. As Tannenbaum mentioned during the broadcast, there will be teams trying to trade those fringe players rather than cut them. So, teams may make fringe player for fringe player trades so they don't have to give up draft picks. Still, I think Pitts will not be one of them. I feel like either he makes the team (learning towards unlikely), or gets cut and then placed on the practice squad if eligible.

During cuts we'll most likely be looking to gain a CB, which makes things tougher on Pitts. Other positions of interest would likely be OG/C, developmental TE, DT and LB. I could see us trading a fringe RB or WR to get one of those positions.

Cornerback (3 for 1 spot). Walt Aikens or Lafayette Pitts or Torry McTyer. Aikens can be declared a safety/cornerback and because of his proven skill on special teams, it would seem he’d have an edge. But Pitts is a true corner and is also strong on special teams. It’s possible both make it, but not a lock. If not on the roster, McTyer would be the perfect practice squad developmental player after a strong camp.

Safety (3 for 1 spot). Jordan Lucas or A.J. Hendy or Maurice Smith. It’s possible none of these three make the team if Miami keeps both Aikens and Pitts. Smith, like McTyer, would be an excellent addition to Miami’s practice squad if he does not make the initial roster.

Pitts is irrelevant.

The guy we need a closer look at for a ST's starter is AJ Hendy.

Back
Top Bottom