How the Dolphins offense has improved after Ajayi trade in one chart | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How the Dolphins offense has improved after Ajayi trade in one chart

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Numbers in a vacuum
I quite agree. Plus it ignores what he did last year when he was used properly. Ajayi is a three down back and they used him barely in the passing game and he was met in the backfield more than almost every back in the NFL. Anyone that thinks Drake or Williams or even their combo is better than Ajayi is wearing blinders.
the biggest mistake we made this year was deciding that Cutler was worth spending money on. QB rating wise he has been ok but esp early on he showed he does not know how to use his backs or his short passing attack to set up the longer stuff. He has piss poor touch.

I quite agree. Plus it ignores what he did last year when he was used properly. Ajayi is a three down back and they used him barely in the passing game and he was met in the backfield more than almost every back in the NFL. Anyone that thinks Drake or Williams or even their combo is better than Ajayi is wearing blinders.
the biggest mistake we made this year was deciding that Cutler was worth spending money on. QB rating wise he has been ok but esp early on he showed he does not know how to use his backs or his short passing attack to set up the longer stuff. He has piss poor touch.

I cannot count the number of times I have watched Ajayi completely fail his protection assignment. He is definitely, absolutely not a three down back!!! My interpretation of the comment by Coach Gase is that he had no desire to learn the protections or the correct flow of the play. He seems to go rogue on his assignments. Ajayi is a very good power runner whom can succeed with the correct teammates surrounding him. The problem is that a disciplined defense can negate him by completely selling out. Drake and Williams are balanced players that can be used in any situation. Basically, there are no keys for the defense. Drake has been dominant with his protection assignments. He has been blasting the rushing LBs. Drake is the better protector.

They didn't use Ajayi in the passing game as he wasn't good in the passing game. If you follow his career, I don't think Gase likes to use a 3 down back as his offense is much more passing oriented and doesn't require and 20+Carry back. We no longer have to worry about feeding Ajayi and having his 23 carries for 50 yards a game. The defense is forced to drop a safety back and honor our passing game now. It hasn't been leading to wins but it is a far more effective offense and closer to what Gase envisioned running when he got here. The days of the 20 carry a game back are dying in this league.

I cannot count the number of times I have watched Ajayi completely fail his protection assignment. He is definitely, absolutely not a three down back!!! My interpretation of the comment by Coach Gase is that he had no desire to learn the protections or the correct flow of the play. He seems to go rogue on his assignments. Ajayi is a very good power runner whom can succeed with the correct teammates surrounding him. The problem is that a disciplined defense can negate him by completely selling out. Drake and Williams are balanced players that can be used in any situation. Basically, there are no keys for the defense. Drake has been dominant with his protection assignments. He has been blasting the rushing LBs. Drake is the better protector.
I guess you missed the other backs and their awful pass protection. If by balanced u mean mediocre in most aspects of football I agree that Williams and Drake are balanced

They didn't use Ajayi in the passing game as he wasn't good in the passing game. If you follow his career, I don't think Gase likes to use a 3 down back as his offense is much more passing oriented and doesn't require and 20+Carry back. We no longer have to worry about feeding Ajayi and having his 23 carries for 50 yards a game. The defense is forced to drop a safety back and honor our passing game now. It hasn't been leading to wins but it is a far more effective offense and closer to what Gase envisioned running when he got here. The days of the 20 carry a game back are dying in this league.
You do realize they could have spelled Ajayi with the other backs which they didn't. That is Gase and his idiocy, almost every coach in the league uses their other backs even when they have a pro bowler but Gase not so much

You do realize they could have spelled Ajayi with the other backs which they didn't. That is Gase and his idiocy, almost every coach in the league uses their other backs even when they have a pro bowler but Gase not so much
Have you ever thought why he didn't? I have a feeling the answer is deeper than just Gase is an idiot and didn't want to use anybody else. They didn't give away Ajayi for no reason. Also, a running back who isn't strong in the passing game doesn't fit this offense and Jay wasn't good in the passing game. Jay simply didnt fit this offense and we are better of without him being a drive killer every game.

Have you ever thought why he didn't? I have a feeling the answer is deeper than just Gase is an idiot and didn't want to use anybody else. They didn't give away Ajayi for no reason. Also, a running back who isn't strong in the passing game doesn't fit this offense and Jay wasn't good in the passing game. Jay simply didnt fit this offense and we are better of without him being a drive killer every game.

Convince yourself that Ajayi was the drive killer and not the pay calling or the horrible line play. Ajayi caught quite a few passes in college and was ok in it last year, he did not suddenly forget how to catch a ball.
If Ajayi was not a three down player who else can you blame for a coach playing him all three downs. So he is either not smarty as a coach or he is a wimp and let ajayi tell him how to run offense.
Choosing a Qb like Cutler who has never been good at using his backs or the short passing game was the mistake and the real drive killer

Convince yourself that Ajayi was the drive killer and not the pay calling or the horrible line play. Ajayi caught quite a few passes in college and was ok in it last year, he did not suddenly forget how to catch a ball.
If Ajayi was not a three down player who else can you blame for a coach playing him all three downs. So he is either not smarty as a coach or he is a wimp and let ajayi tell him how to run offense.
Choosing a Qb like Cutler who has never been good at using his backs or the short passing game was the mistake and the real drive killer
Believe what you may but Gase has completely changed the offense mid season 2 years running because of personnel issues. He has a 14 and 13 record with Jay Cutler, Matt Moore, and who TJ Yates playing 16 of the 27 Games. If people think he is a so called idiot for not thinking of using the other running backs than I don't know what to say.

Getting rid of Ajayi forces defense's to now account for the RB in the passing game, that's a plus. However, it didn't solve the basic problems of this offense. The O-line is still a problem. QB performance is still a problem. Execution and penalties are still a problem.

Believe what you may but Gase has completely changed the offense mid season 2 years running because of personnel issues. He has a 14 and 13 record with Jay Cutler, Matt Moore, and who TJ Yates playing 16 of the 27 Games. If people think he is a so called idiot for not thinking of using the other running backs than I don't know what to say.

youre the one that said that ajayi could not do certain things so why not do like every other coach in the league spell him in certain situations. It would seem to be a smarter solution than not spelling him and saying he did not fit offense.
Damien Williams and Kenyon Drake are not being used the same way because neither is a three down back or as talented. there are better backs in this league that were getting less play percentage than Ajayi in fact most backs played less snaps.
the one constant in every dolphin win this year was feeding Ajayi. Every game with 20 plus carries we won. every game with like 10 carries we lost. the Eagles have only had him like a couple of weeks and they seem to know how to use him.

Back
Top Bottom