How to get an extra draft pick?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by utahphinsfan, Dec 26, 2005.

1. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

Trade Madison. To who? the Rams. This is a team who has been secondary deficient for years and is probably willing to give up a 3rd round pick.

I personally would settle for Damione Lewis and a 6th rounder.

2. musphinzfan

musphinzfan Pro Bowler

Honestly the Rams wont give up D.Lewis and a 6th for him.....Madison has very little trade value but the Dolphins may move him for a pick or cut him.

3. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Banned Hammered

We should trade Madison and our 1st round to Houston for their 1st. Maybe throw in an O-Lineman. Do you thikn the Texans would listen?

4. umpalu

umpalu FinHeaven VIP

they would want 2 picks and madison, but 1)Saban won't do the huge leap up the boards thing, he believes to much in his own ability to make players overachieve. 2)The Texans will get a better offer 3)The Texans won't want to move that far down the board

5. ghost_fish

ghost_fish Starter

Houston already has good DBs and they would be stupid to drop that far down. I say we stay put and draft BPA.

6. PhinsTD

PhinsTD Phins fanatic

Why would a rebuilding team like Houston be interested in a one or two year stop gap in Madison? It makes no sense for them whatsoever.

7. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Thank you #54...

Yes, lets take our best defensive back and cut him...that is a GREAT way to continue the rebuilding process...

:blowup:

More Sam Madison hate on this board...I'll never understand it...

8. MiamiMan147

MiamiMan147 I'm a Rocket Man

So many people on this board have no clue about the relative values of top picks it's not even funny. The Giants gave up a 1st, 3rd, and a 5th to move up 3 spots! I don't even want to think what it would take to move up 14.

9. vinivedivichi

vinivedivichi So you're telling me there's a chance...

I really don't understand it either, but it's not only the board that feeds the hate. The South Florida media seems to think Madison is on his way out as well.

No doubt Madison is not ideal for Saban's system, and he certainly has had some trouble adjusting to the zone coverages, but he's still our best corner. His salary may outweigh his performance, but the only way it makes sense to cut him is if we can find at least 2 or 3 guys that can come right in and upgrade our secondary. By cutting Madison you are creating another hole in a unit that is already the weakness of our defense.

10. vinivedivichi

BTW who's gonna take Madison and his large contract that outweighs his performance? The only way we'd get him off our roster would be to cut him.

11. unifiedtheory

Don't try to mix reality in with the "Madden" reality that goes on around here sometimes.

When I suggested it would take our '06 first, '07 first, Ricky and another day one pick in '06 (a third) to move up to the top 3 for a chance at Leinart I was called an "idiot" for doing so...

I think people should have to go back and look at HISTORY to find out what it takes to move up the draft board.

12. ATS16

ATS16 ATS16

For alot of people I don't think it's so much hate as being realistic. What is Madison's salary hit in 06 $ 4-6 Milion I believe. We got rid of our best CB last year and if Saban doesn't feel he's worth it (Which is a good bet) then Madison will be gone also. Personally I hope he's waived and brought back as the nickel back. And yes rebuilding is about getting younger!

13. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran bad spelur

I think this is well said vini. It would be my guess that Sam will still be here one more year

14. unifiedtheory

I'll take Sam whiffing on the run (occasionally...his lack of run defense skills are VERY overblown on this board) as long as he covers the reciever...

...I'll take a great cover corner who is mediocer against the run EVERYDAY of the week.

For those of you who are going to get all crazy because I called his lack of run defense "overrated" speak now. I'll get the numbers at some point tonight and prove you wrong.

Teams run it to the right guard/right tackle/middle of the field on the Dolphins around 65%-70% of the time. If Sam was as bad against the run as everyone here makes him out to be I would think opposing team would run it MORE to his side of the field...not less.

15. ATS16

ATS16 ATS16

Saban got a 4th rounder to play near at Madison's level his rookie year and with out Madison's contract to carry we would have room to seek a "value added" FA CB. Hopefully by mid season Poole will be starting, but I can almost guarantee you Madison will be trade bait and at the very least restructure.

16. unifiedtheory

#1. Sam has redone his deal before and if asked he'll do it again...he's a team guy.

#2. We got rid of Pat Surtain (who, BTW, was NOT our best corner last year...our best corner last year was the guy everyone wants to cut) because we could not afford Surtain and Madison AND add to our very thin defensive line like Saban did. Saban LOVES his cornerbacks. His defense runs on the abilty to blitz from everywhere at anytime. To do that you need players who can cover man to man.

#3. Why would Madison be a nickel back? The guy is OUR BEST DEFENSIVE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who the HELL is gonna start ahead of him?

#4. Rebuilding is about getting younger but you still need veterans on the team. As hard as it is to beleive for some people around here, just because you are trying to get younger DOES NOT mean you don't have older players on the team.

17. vinivedivichi

I don't necessarily disagree, I just question whether we can find that value added FA CB. Saban will have to decide whether he can take the cap savings from cutting Madison and turn it into a better cornerback than Sam. I think that's easier said than done. If he can, then I have no problem with cutting Sam.

Also, remember that replacing Sam with an equally talented player does nothing for our secondary. If we cut Sam, we need at least 2 good FA CB's/Rookie CB's and probably a starting safety. If we keep Sam, 1 CB and 1 Safety should shore up our secondary.

18. vinivedivichi

I think you misunderstood my stance. I think Madison is still a good corner and our best corner. That said, he is being overpaid, especially when you consider that his skills are not maximized in Saban's system.

19. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran bad spelur

Happy Box Day Unified!

20. ATS16

ATS16 ATS16

1.) I hope Madison does restructure, but remember who he's agent is now -Drew R.

2.) Surtain wasn't our best corner last year? Please don't embarrass yourself like that. ha ha

3.) I expecting Madison IF he's back to not be our best or second best CB EXCUSE ME for being optimistic, and having faith in Saban!

4.) Yes of course you want strong verterans to build around but are you really going to tell me Madison is worth $ 6 million. Sound like you do and will be bashing Saban when you realize he agrees with me.

And please don't act like your the only one who "Understand" because obviously you don't have a clue where Saban's going.

ESPN Article on Madison'e contract
    "but will still earn roughly $18 million for the 2004-2007 seasons."

link
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1755112

21. ATS16

ATS16 ATS16

Good points, I just see that $ 6 mil looming in Saban head and don't think it's gonna fly next year. Isn't Drew Rosenthal (sp) Sam's agent, now? If so Sam will be playing somewhere else next year at least IMO.

22. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

If Madison is gone it is due to cap reasons.

Neither do you, or anyone else on this board for that matter.