How to use your draft picks: Draft theory | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How to use your draft picks: Draft theory

You can always make the rear view mirror argument for a player that succeeded over a player that busted... so in general, I'm not a fan of these arguments, because EVERY player that succeeded is better than a bust, so I don't think this really factors into the positional argument.

Looking at Taylor though, you are correct, he looked like he had a really high percentage of success (and as a 2nd round pick, it was early for a RB) and he went to a team that was run first... but let's take another look at his longterm value.

Like many (most?) RBs, he's had a injury and his performance has already tailed off. His yards per carry and TD numbers are less than elite.
Not to mention that Taylor was drafted after Helaire and Swift... neither who have done much. ...and right after Taylor, Akers and Dobbins (again... less than stellar).

So... it's a tough call, but even though some here LOVED Taylor, the NFL people were less sure.
Fair point. I do think Grier gets it for the most part. And, yes, there are always misses.

I just remember seeing Iggy listed as more of a top 75 type prospect. It was obviously a gamble on talent that didn't pay off.

Another thing to consider. Is there a viable free agent DT that can replace Wilkins? Nothing too exciting from my standpoint, but maybe I'm missing something.

Teams still win in the trenches so I do think a DT is a high priority if Wilkins leaves.
replacing Wilkins might have to be a job for two players rotating along with Seiler.....hard to find a DT to do everything Wilkins has been doing by himself

Fair point. I do think Grier gets it for the most part. And, yes, there are always misses.

I just remember seeing Iggy listed as more of a top 75 type prospect. It was obviously a gamble on talent that didn't pay off.
Agree on that...

Iggy was a bit of a reach... but he was a player that his head coach wanted badly.

It was a miss... fortunately, Tua and AJax were not.

I view draft picks as pre-determined contracts... The earlier the pick, the bigger the contract... That's why you don't pick RBs(or low value positions) early, even if you hit on a good player 100% of the time, that contract overpays him. The draft is about assigning cheap contracts to expensive position players. These players are more likely to still be at a discount even if they're average.

Theory is sound, and typical and mirrors the Dolphins own philosophy, however, as they say no battle plan ever survives contact with the enemy. I could see a LT or WR with the 1st rounder. Center is also possible though, it certainly would be if I was picking. When the chiefs picked Creed Humphrey, that was so freaking obvious what he was going to turn into. JPJ could be a player like that, he excites me. We need someone who can open holes vs Baltimore’s freaking nose tackle in January and December. I hope they consider it, but they will likely draft one of the tackles depending upon availability…
Trading up for Liam instead of standing pat for Creed will haunt me forever. I also wanted Trey Smith. Really talented and only went in the 6th bc of his history of blood clots.

I am a FIRM believer in trading down... almost every time.
The bust rate is so high in the NFL and it is almost always better to have more darts than big darts.
Some positions generally require early draft picks, like QBs, but for most positions, quantity IS quality.
This has been my belief all along but Grier seems to love getting rid of draft capital instead of acquiring it.

Gimme back my bullets.

Too many variables. The more subjective decisions you blend into the process, the greater likelihood of error.

Draft the best players, and specifically at the positions where analytics lead the way.

Your roster should not be a prime consideration. It's remarkable once the preseason begins nobody remembers or cares about the conventional wisdom in April. The standout theme is who looks good and who doesn't, regardless of position. The early indications tend to hold up, despite the fan infatuation with outliers.

I believe that a lot of fans have unrealistic expectations about the draft, and how (and why) GMs use their draft picks... stay with me, and I'll try to convince you.

Let's start with a few premises.
1) A good % of first and second round picks bust. They always have; they always will. Even the Hall of Fame GMs miss on at least half of their picks.
2) Many great players needed a year or two (or three) to hit their stride. There are a lot of Hall of Fame players who barely played as rookies. Heck, some of them stunk.
So...
3) Expecting that our picks will play immediately... and be successful... is well, like believing in magic or a flat Earth. This has nothing to do with Grier... it's just the reality of the NFL.

That brings me to the following observations:
1) Fans who say, we lost this star player, so that means we have to draft his same position to keep pace with what we had... well, that's poorly thought out, as well as wildly optimistic.
2) Positional value is king in the NFL. Some positions are waaaaay cheaper than others. Go to a site like overthecap.com and look at their lists of the top-paid players at each position.
Scan down to the players listed 20-40. That is what an average FA player from that position will typically receive when they sign a 1-2 year contract. These are the band-aid players; players good enough to start for you when you are in need... guys who'll save you the aggravation of drafting a rookie. These guys, unlike rookies, are KNOWN commodities; they are what their playing position is actually worth.

So, on to what you should be considering with your draft picks.
1) Since we've identified what a position is worth; we are clearly trying to maximize value... right? If there are 20 Free Agent Safetys with starting experience... and they only cost 2-4m per year. Why would you draft one with an early pick? It's only gonna pay off if that player ends up as a Hall of Fame caliber player, and in the salary cap era, maybe not even then.
So...
2) The smart play is in drafting players from EXPENSIVE positions (again, go to the OTC site and see which ones qualify). Yes, need is part of the equation, but you have to draft players that you'll be willing to eventually pay. Drafting a player that you will just let walk away in 4 years is well... stupid (and why I led the resistance to drafting Najee Harris).
And finally...
3) You've got to consider WHEN your existing players are going to fall off your roster before you draft potential stars at expensive positions. Next year, we KNOW that Armstead is gone. Last year, we KNEW we'd be cutting Hoard this year.
So you get out ahead of your losses. We took Cam Smith in the 2nd, and while we are unsure of whether this will work, it was the right play. Replace the expensive player a year early... SCHEDULE X's departure.
Unexpected losses... you fill those with league average FAs. That's how we got Connor Williams... and Elliot.

Yes, I've gone through a lot of words to tell you WHY Tackle is first on our list of needs. It's a year early for a WR. We have Smith at CB and need to give him a year. Tua... we are resigning. Chubb and Phillips... might not be ready right away, but they are keepers.

The expensive position where we have a scheduled NEED is at LT. Yes, we need a Guard and a Center immediately... but go back to OTC and look at the price for average players.
...and yes, we have immediate needs at several positions, but again... go back to the basic premises... at least half of the rookies will NOT fill these needs. 80 years of NFL history will show this.

As always... your milage may differ.
Great post and I agree 100%

Just curious @Feverdream ... BTW love the breakdown and your insight/thoughts regarding the team ... that said, I've read on here somewhere that restructuring Hill, Ramsey and Chubb? (I think) could/would put the team in the plus side of around $30 mil...
1. Is this close to the truth?
2. Since we're speculating, If that's true what do you think the team could/would do with the capital?
3. How would it affect the future in terms of "kicking the can down the road"?

Anyone/everyone can help me understand this ... I pointed to fever because of his consistent interest in the team and it's future ... and because he's the OP.

I also don't understand draft value as well as most ...
Why would a team draft value over need if the valued player isn't really a need but the need may not have the value at the spot your drafting?

Back
Top Bottom