Hyde5: My 5-step process to draft Dolphins top pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: My 5-step process to draft Dolphins top pick

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm drafting 19th overall. I need some pieces to fill out a team - an inside linebacker, a big, modern tight end and maybe a safety. But I need a right tackle desperately. Put it this way: If I don't get a starting-caliber tackle, the offensive line is a big problem, which means the season is again threatened, which means coach Joe Philbin's job is threatened, which means my job is threatened.

So I have to be assured of getting a right tackle to plug in and play immediately. That's the over-riding thought of this draft. Normally, I'd rather drink a gallon of seawater than have no choice but to draft a right tackle with a first-round pick, especially in this draft when there are some good options at 19th overall but not really at tackle. But this is the hand I've been dealt.

Here's my five, step-by-step thoughts on how to attempt to draft a ready-to-start right tackle at the right price:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-hyde5-with-the-19th-pick-overall-i--20140507,0,1834486.story?track=rss

Why does he assume that it has to be a Right Tackle? I think that there is an excellent chance that we address the O-line problems by selecting an Offensive Guard.

1 and 2 are a pipe dream, Hyde admits that. I'm on board with 3. 5 not a fan of the move. I would be on board with Beckham also but not going to slide to 19th IMO.

I really don't think the Dolphins organization thinks our offensive line is as offensive as the media and fans are making it out to be. There is a reason we signed Shelley Smith and drafted Dallas Thomas. We have pieces with loads of talent and potential who have shown flashes and now an offensive line coach who is well known around the league for building success on that unit. We cut out the cancer along our line that led to 58 sacks last season when Incog and Mrtin left for good. Do we need to add another piece in the draft if we can, absolutely. But if we end up signing Clabo back for depth it wont be the end of the world either.

Last time I say this before tomorrow night... maybe

DRAFT BPA!!!

Don't reach and what is ment to be will be.

Why does he assume that it has to be a Right Tackle? I think that there is an excellent chance that we address the O-line problems by selecting an Offensive Guard.

He's assuming RT first because it's a more difficult and expensive position to fix. If you look at the draft by positional value, there will likely be a run of tackles early. There is less likely a chance that any guard goes before the 2nd round. Plus, there are a number of smaller tackles that project to OG. That increases the depth at the position and increases the likelihood that there will be suitable OG choices throughout the 3rd - 7th rounds.

I really don't think the Dolphins organization thinks our offensive line is as offensive as the media and fans are making it out to be. There is a reason we signed Shelley Smith and drafted Dallas Thomas. We have pieces with loads of talent and potential who have shown flashes and now an offensive line coach who is well known around the league for building success on that unit. We cut out the cancer along our line that led to 58 sacks last season when Incog and Mrtin left for good. Do we need to add another piece in the draft if we can, absolutely. But if we end up signing Clabo back for depth it wont be the end of the world either.

DRAFT BPA!!!

I have a good initial feeling about Shelley Smith, but my guess at this point is that Dallas Thomas sucks. I didn't like the film of him at UT, I don't think that he's physical enough to play Guard and I question him overall at Tackle. If he was any good there wouldn't be a mad scramble to secure a RT, and my guess is that the FO is in a mad scramble to secure a RT in the draft.

Personally, I like Kouandio quite a bit, but my darkhorse has been Matt Patchan, and the more I watch and study the Patchan player/injury history the more I think that he could be a low cost plug and play solution to the RT dilemma.

DRAFT BPA!!!

I agree with this and I'll probably be proven wrong in a few hours but I don't see us taking any cornfed except maybe Martin at 19.

Back
Top Bottom