I Always Thought The HC Was In Charge Of Who Made The Team??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Always Thought The HC Was In Charge Of Who Made The Team???

Butterfrog 2.0

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I honestly always thought that the HC gave input as to who should be drafted but the GM made the final decision there but when it came to gameday rosters the HC was the guy deciding who stayed and who got cut. Well for the most part anyway, I mean I know that high round picks or big $$$ free agents arent getting cut for a couple years no matter how much they suck but bottom of the roster guys and the one that has to coach on Sundays doesn't even get to decide that? Maybe I simply knew nothing about the inner workings of an NFL team, but watching Hard Knocks last night I was just a wtf moment for me. When I saw the ST's coach basically telling Ireland we needed to keep Marlon Moore because he's our best special teamer and Ireland just said he couldn't answer his question whether or not they were going to keep him all the while Philbin is sitting there not saying a word I was like HUH?

Is this normal practice for NFL franchises or do HC's normally have a big say in gameday rosters? I mean I would figure that the guy who's on the field watching them practice every day and you know... Coaching would be the one to decide who can play and who's worthless. But then again I guess it wouldn't work out if the HC was cutting everyone the GM picked up either but my god... I think the HC should have some say at least but just from watching hard knocks it sure doesn't seem like Philbin does.

keep in mind that what we saw was a fragment of the 1500 hours of footage. we dont' know for sure what input philbin had after that scene or before etc.

Give me the rest of the tape and i will watch it...............

Coaching would be the one to decide who can play and who's worthless. But then again I guess it wouldn't work out if the HC was cutting everyone the GM picked up either but my god... I think the HC should have some say at least but just from watching hard knocks it sure doesn't seem like Philbin does.

From watching 5 episodes of Hard Knocks, I came away with the exact opposite impression. Maybe you missed the part where Ireland wanted to keep Clyde Gates, and Philbin didnt. Gates ended up being waived. Maybe you also missed where Philbin sent Chad Johnson packing. Or the part where Philbin worked out Braylon Edwards but passed on him. I'd say Philbin has a lot of influence over personnel.

If I went by the majority of fans on the forum I would think it is Philbin making the final personnel decisions.

But if I go by the facts it is clearly Ireland that makes the final personnel decisions...Ross, Ireland and Philbin have all publicly stated that. And Hard Knocks repeatedly showed both Ireland and Philbin know exactly who's responsibility final personnel decisions fall under. Obviously, Ireland talks with Philbin and other coaches and then "Ireland" makes the call after getting their input. Is there really any question after seeing how the Vontae trade went down?

Yet despite the clear evidence Ireland makes the final call on personnel moves fans that made up their mind that Philbin is calling the shots will say "we don't know...this is Philbin's team...Philbin got rid of Marshall...Philbin traded Davis...Philbin passed on Flynn...blah, blah, blah..." as if Ireland and Philbin have enough time to work on skits behind the scenes to make it look like Philbin is passing on final decision making to Ireland on Hard Knocks. :lol:

GM picks the players. The coach is the one that teaches and directs them. In the end, the GM usually does get alot of input from the coach.

Back
Top Bottom