I am still down on our training staff | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I am still down on our training staff

Bonedoc7777

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I still have to say that our training staff does not do enough coordination and flexibility work in the offseason with these guys, i understand that hammies are normal now but i know that injuries like this can be reduced by appropriate work. just seems we are always involved in this stuff maybe it is me.

I'd like to hear more about this. I've wondered the same thing over the last few years. It seems like we have a ton of guys getting strains and tweaks every year. I always thought it was more than other teams but, never put in the time to figure it out.

Do you see specific things that are alarming to you?

(I am assuming you ARE a Dr....)

I don't know, I think that every team has a lot of tweaks and minor injuries in training camp (and let's be honest, a few players probably exaggerate those now and again to get out of drills). It seems to me that the Phins have fewer major injuries in camp than most teams do (this year, of course, is an exception). The Titans, for example, seem to have a major injury in camp almost every year.

I am no expert but it seems to me the Fin medical staff is frequently involved in misdiagnosis controversies.

Remember Big Macs injury was not detected in a preliminary exam.DB came with a reputation for lower leg injuries.Then you have the Mc Duffie lawsuit and many other players claims.Are they up to the job ?

I went on a crusade a couple of nights ago attempting to "connect the dots".

Shin splints in May-Torn patella in August

My search wasn't fruitful but it seems as though something was wrong WAY before now.

If I'm not mistaken, it was only after they got an MRI done that McIntosh's injury was detected. That (coupled with the fact that he's probably going to play this season) leads me to believe that it wasn't a serious enough injury to be detected at first. Rather, I'd applaud them for ordering the MRI and saving the team a $#!tpile of cash.

DB did come with a rep for lower leg injuries, but what were we going to do, hold him out of all training camp? Strains and tweaks are routine. Obviously, hindsight is 20-20, so if they could go back, they'd let him sit the whole week to be extra cautious. But Boston could have opted out of practice if he felt it was serious enough. Hell, where was his pain-in-the-butt trainer Chuck Poliquin?

CrunchTime said:
I am no expert but it seems to me the Fin medical staff is frequently involved in misdiagnosis controversies.

Remember Big Macs injury was not detected in a preliminary exam.DB came with a reputation for lower leg injuries.Then you have the Mc Duffie lawsuit and many other players claims.Are they up to the job ?
I also remember the doctors red lighting a T (with a chronic knee problem) we were going to sign.....Thompson???......anyway he signed with another team and went down that same preseason.....

Yeah, Michael Thompson. He was an offensive tackle with either Atlanta or Seattle, I can't remember which (he was traded from one to the other, ultimately).

phunwin said:
If I'm not mistaken, it was only after they got an MRI done that McIntosh's injury was detected. That (coupled with the fact that he's probably going to play this season) leads me to believe that it wasn't a serious enough injury to be detected at first. Rather, I'd applaud them for ordering the MRI and saving the team a $#!tpile of cash.

DB did come with a rep for lower leg injuries, but what were we going to do, hold him out of all training camp? Strains and tweaks are routine. Obviously, hindsight is 20-20, so if they could go back, they'd let him sit the whole week to be extra cautious. But Boston could have opted out of practice if he felt it was serious enough. Hell, where was his pain-in-the-butt trainer Chuck Poliquin?

Mac worked out with the Raiders before signing with Miami. I'm not sure if the Miami docs would have ordered the MRI if Oakland's guys hadn't told them that he had a red flag. Remember, this didn't come till after he had agreed to terms.

KBISBACK said:
Mac worked out with the Raiders before signing with Miami. I'm not sure if the Miami docs would have ordered the MRI if Oakland's guys hadn't told them that he had a red flag. Remember, this didn't come till after he had agreed to terms.

Mac signed a contract with a clause saying that it was contingent on passing all of the medical exams. They scheduled the press conference before all of the test results were back. They got the results back before the press conference took place.

The team was never exposed contractually. It was a minor PR hiccup only.

In the end, it may work out to the team's benefit since we signed him for less money. With Smith, McIntosh, Carey, and St Clair, we are deep at tackle. I believe we have the foundation for an excellent line. Maybe not this year, but definitely next year.

Back
Top Bottom