"I saw some running lanes," - Sammy Morris | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I saw some running lanes," - Sammy Morris

YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG!!!

And here's why:

Travis Minor stats:

2001 - 59 attempts for 281 yards with a 4.8 ypc average
2002 - 44 attempts for 180 yards with a 4.1 ypc average
2003 - 41 attempts for 193 yards with a 4.7 ypc average

Should we make him the starter?...HELL NO! Why did he have such a high average those seasons? I'll tell you why...he was a CHANGE OF PACE BACK. That's what many, many, many, change of pace backs in the NFL average. Usually better than the starter because the defense is not focusing on them as much.

When thrust into the spotlight:

2004 - 109 attempts for 388 yards with a 3.6 ypc average.
2005 - 5 attempts for 17 yards with a 3.4 ypc average.

TarHeelFinFan said:
That has more to do with Tampa's o-line vs. ours than anything else.

Please........they're line isn't head and shoulders above ours. They're using the same stop-gap players we are. They're benefitting from a decisive runner in Caddy who is simply hitting the mofo hole man!!!!!

CashInFist said:
YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG!!!

And here's why:

Travis Minor stats:

2001 - 59 attempts for 281 yards with a 4.8 ypc average
2002 - 44 attempts for 180 yards with a 4.1 ypc average
2003 - 41 attempts for 193 yards with a 4.7 ypc average

Should we make him the starter?...HELL NO! Why did he have such a high average those seasons? I'll tell you why...he was a CHANGE OF PACE BACK. That's what many, many, many, change of pace backs in the NFL average. Usually better than the starter because the defense is not focusing on them as much.

When thrust into the spotlight:

2004 - 109 attempts for 388 yards with a 3.6 ypc averag e.
2005 - 5 attempts for 17 yards with a 3.4 ypc average.

Explain to me how Sammy is a change of pace back........... They're both powerful runners........... Minor is a smallish, slasher....... go post Sammy's starting stats when with Buffalo please.

Originally Posted by Dave Hyde, Sun Sentinel
You could blame the line. Everyone typically does with these Dolphins. Except on Sunday reserve running back Sammy Morris carried four times for 23 yards. It's not much of a test sample. But his 5.8-yard average doubled Brown's.

"The times I got the ball, I saw some running lanes," Morris said. "The offensive line was moving them off the ball some. I just tried to make the best of the opportunities."

Yah and those running lanes were to the outside. At least 2 of those runs I remember Sammy going for the hole..realizing it wasn't there and then bouncing it outside. Which is what should be done, however Ronnie's still hesitating/dancing but at least that can be coached out of him.

enigmatics said:
I didn't say I "know" ........ I said it's not likely given his prior performances. That's not an asbolute man, if I wanted to speak in absolute's I would.

........and no it's not a lock Ricky will take 50%, but it's look more and more likely at this point.

You said anyone would have to be naive to think Ricky won't get at least 50% of the carries. Your words, not mine.

Suggesting a miraculous trurnaround is required, certainly implies you know something is absolute. Otherwise, you wouldn't think it requires a miracle to change.

enigmatics said:
Explain to me how Sammy is a change of pace back........... They're both powerful runners........... Minor is a smallish, slasher.......

When you are not the starter you are the change of pace guy. I think I explained it clearly in my previous post.

TarHeelFinFan said:
It's not opinion, it's the Travis Minor phenomena. When he was #2, Travis always averaged more YPC than our regular back, but that's because he was a change of pace, not the the guy who was in there nearly every play.

Travis Minor and Sammy Morris are two very different runners bro. How on earth you could link the two together is extremely foolish. Again, Minor is a smallish cut-back runner......... Morris is powerfully builts and hits holes.

this is his burden to carry as a high 1st rounder...the money, the holdout, the expectations. i want to see him succeed as much as any other fan and 2 games is very little time so far but, everyone is expecting big things and its up to him to deliver. usually an impact back new to the league makes his impact almost immediately. his dancing and indecisiveness to hit the hole are what scares me. lets hope he gets this turned around and that o-line can open him some nice lanes. dont think it will happen this sunday though, carolina has one of the top front 7 in the league.

CashInFist said:
When you are not the starter you are the change of pace guy. I think I explained it clearly in my previous post.

That all depends on the running plays called. Please, when Christian Okoye was starting and Barry Word came in on plays, was he a change of pace back? Try again man.

VanDolPhan said:
Yah and those running lanes were to the outside. At least 2 of those runs I remember Sammy going for the hole..realizing it wasn't there and then bouncing it outside. Which is what should be done, however Ronnie's still hesitating/dancing but at least that can be coached out of him.

Well I also saw Sammy hit up on the inside, so what of it? The fact is he produced.

kastofsna120 said:
ricky didn't make the line look good in '03, doubt he'll do it this year

Great. We'll come back and chat after all's been said and done.

enigmatics said:
Travis Minor and Sammy Morris are two very different runners bro. How on earth you could link the two together is extremely foolish. Again, Minor is a smallish cut-back runner......... Morris is powerfully builts and hits holes.
Change of pace doesn't define running style "bro", it's putting in a new back forcing the defense to adjust the gameplan which throws them off, allowing for a few added yards in the occasional carry that this different back gets.

Back
Top Bottom