I think Ireland's setting up the team to succeed in 2013 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I think Ireland's setting up the team to succeed in 2013

EROCK528

Active Roster
Reaction score
Not extending Wake or Long to provide additional cap space in 2012. Trading Marshall and dealing with significant dead money in 2012. Not signing Flynn or Smith to big multi-year contracts. A number of players with 1 year contracts including Moore and Garrard. While all of this hinders the 2012 team it also provides signifcant cap flexibility in 2013. It sets them up to make critical decisions on how they want to buld the team after assessing the current players this coming year including Wake and Long's performance. I believe they will take this info and build a planto invest wisely in 2013 and continue to build thru the draft along with addition of select FA that fit the system andcritical needs identified in 2012. It seems clear that 2012 is an assessment year with a new coach in tow which willset up critical decisions and the abilty to put a winning team on the field in 2013.

I see where your going with this... the problem I have with this style of business is it can virtually leave us with not one good player on the roster when all is said and done..

the problem with one year contracts, are just that they are one year.. especially with established players.. ala wake, jake long...

we don't extend these guys and they become free agents.. we have one franchise tag to use, which I hate anyway, because that is a lot of money for a one year contract...
not extending jake long or cam wake, exposes them to the free agency market, and while we will have money to spend as you say, free agency inflates the price for every single player.. I'm almost certain we would save money on wakes contract if we extended him rather than get into a bidding war with other teams interested in his services.. jake long is going to command top dollar any way you slice it.
we will probably need to address the qb position... (again)

we will need to address runningback, unless daniel thomas somehow finds a way to light up the world this season, as reggie is also in a contract year.. if reggie puts together another solid season, which i would tend to think he will dropoff a bit, he will also be in line for a raise..

WR;s... we currently have none. money will need to be spent here.

OL.. IMO, we could stand to upgrade at the very least RG and RT, and I'm not opposed to finding a better LG..

defensively, it could be argued we need work at both safety positions, another edge rusher, and a better CB to play opposite of davis...

we have a lot of holes that need filled... you don't just generally build through the draft and hit on 6 prospects a year and have a fine team in 2 or 3 years..

we have a lot of average joes on this team with very few elite players. I don't see a whole lot of winning going on, regardless of who the coach is and what there plan may be..

to me at the end of the day you need GOOD football players, and frankly, IMO, we just don't have very many of them.

Jake Long is not going anywhere, I would think mid season he is resigned for 4-6 years and backload the contract to open up more cap space for 2013-2015. Wake will get signed to a 2-4 year deal at 7 million a season is my guess.

its not just them.... starks and vontae are also FA next year and we have to sign them too. And bush and moore are FA along with Smith. They r all starters and like mentioned above we have too many holes to fill now, if we let some of these players walk we r screwed.

So just fast-forward through the 2012 season and wait until next year (which is 18 months away). Sounds delightful.

hes helping us succeed in 2013 by letting our best offensive and defensive players leave before then? makes no sense.

its always next year, the year before this year was last year, the year before that year was the year before that and the list goes on....... Ever heard the phrase here today gone tomorrow???? The dolphins my friend are going to be rebuilding til the end of time or atleast until they find a gm who values the qb position more than offensive tackles. Look at the patriots and green bay packers, they are dominant year after year. Why is that? because they have a qb to build around. They can fill any positions with crap and still be good because the qb makes that crap player that much better. Mix in a few greg jennings and wes welker here and there and u got a dominant team. Im all for rebuilding but you should always expect your team to win now without making stupid decisions aka oakland raiders. my 2 cents.

its not just them.... starks and vontae are also FA next year and we have to sign them too. And bush and moore are FA along with Smith. They r all starters and like mentioned above we have too many holes to fill now, if we let some of these players walk we r screwed.
Vontae is not a free agent after this year, he is signed until after 2013.

Starks, Wake, Smith and McDaniels are free agents in defense. Long, Bush, Hartline, Moore, Garrard and Fasano are free agents on offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really all about having the right QB in the right system in this league. Everything else is secondary. If we lose high profile players like Long, we will get significant compesatory picks in return. We just need the right QB and everything else will be fine.

Not extending Wake or Long to provide additional cap space in 2012. Trading Marshall and dealing with significant dead money in 2012. Not signing Flynn or Smith to big multi-year contracts. A number of players with 1 year contracts including Moore and Garrard. While all of this hinders the 2012 team it also provides signifcant cap flexibility in 2013. It sets them up to make critical decisions on how they want to buld the team after assessing the current players this coming year including Wake and Long's performance. I believe they will take this info and build a planto invest wisely in 2013 and continue to build thru the draft along with addition of select FA that fit the system andcritical needs identified in 2012. It seems clear that 2012 is an assessment year with a new coach in tow which willset up critical decisions and the abilty to put a winning team on the field in 2013.

Your application to the Jeff Ireland Fan Club is accepted ... the secret password is "7-9" (if that doesn't work, try "6-10")

I agree - With the first pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select.........

Your application to the Jeff Ireland Fan Club is accepted ... the secret password is "7-9" (if that doesn't work, try "6-10")

HAHA. That was pretty good man.....secret password...haha....although I am quite a bit more optimistic than you are. Funny **** though

Back
Top Bottom