I think we draft vertically in Rd 1, then horizontally the rest- Austin come on Down! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I think we draft vertically in Rd 1, then horizontally the rest- Austin come on Down!

RockyMtnPhinfan

Active Roster
Reaction score
I think this year our main focus has been to give Tannehill weapons on offense. Round 1 will be a continuation of this process in my opinion. We have 2 picks in Rd2, 2 picks in Rd3, another in Rd4 plus two in Rd 5 and i believe these will be used to fill our needs. I sincerely believe Round 1 will be our luxury pick and we will use this on the most exciting player available: Tavon Austin- This will instantly make an incredible WR group for us. Hartline/Matthews/Wallace on the outside and Bess/Austin on the slot and Keller at TE. The real question left unanswered would be Tannehill making his expected progress this season- if that happens this team takes off offensively.
The reason i believe it's going to be Austin is that i think Martin will kept at LT relieving some of the pressure to pick a OT high in the draft (can you say Armstead in the second/ Maybe DJ Fluker).
This is not necessarily what i WANT to happen but i think this may be our approach, and i would be ok with this to be honest.
Take an exciting pick in Round 1, then with the next seven picks (Rd2(2),Rd3(2),Rd4(1),Rd5(2)) select our needs and the top players on our board at those positions of need.
Round 1 - Tavon Austin
Rounds 2-5 Need Based
Offensive RT
Corner Back(s)
Defensive End
Not necessarily in that order.

The draft can't come fast enough.........tick tock, tick tock

Last edited by a moderator:
this is the first year since 2009 when we took Vontae at 25 do we as fans have no idea what route we are gonna go... there are at least 4 positions we can make a strong argument for, OT, CB, TE and WR... I have a feeling a very special player at one of those positions will be ours for the taken when we make the pick.

For the first time I am actually starting to think they could go with someone like Austin in round 1. It still seems unlikely, but if they stay at 12 than they will miss on the top 3 tackles and no one else is worth the 12 pick. The CB market is deep and unless Millner is there at 12 it seems likely they will wait until round 2. I don't know a lot about the pass rushers but have not seen a lot mocked to us at 12 bc there aren't any worth that pick that will be around according to the experts. So our 3 biggest needs of OT, CB and pass rusher may not be of value at 12.

as much as i want austin, who is my fav player in this draft and one of the scariest talents to come out in MANY years, IRELAND IS NOT DRAFTING HIM.

because he wont get a chance to. either bufallo or the jets are going to take him and both teams pic before us.

this is a guy who has PRO BOWL ABILITY at three different positions, wr, rb or return man. i dont remember when that could be said about ANY player in the last several decades. he is worth a top pic and the jets and bills know the importance of playmakers. i am betting on the bills as they took a shot at a smallish, fast rb in CJ SPILLER and when they see austin there when they pic, that card will come to the podium almost imediately!!

and honestly, i am not so sure ireland's philosophy is any different than before. i know theres a HUGE ga-ga over him with the free agents right now but i am not enamored. i like a couple of them, wallace, but the others can EASILY blow up in our face. this draft SCREAMS lt. its how ireland was born and bred and i dont see that changing when it comes down to decision time. now that his prize jake long is gone, the urge to replace him with a HIGH draft pic is probably keeping him up nights. i think the trade up rumours are true. i think us not bringing in ANY of the good tackles in f/a is like a bad poker tell. i know many think its a huge, masterful smoke screen by ireland, but its WAY too obvious for that. WAY too obvious. ireland hasnt been to hard to figure out since coming to the finz.

this year doesnt appear to be any different. but, if he IS going to trade up for an LT, ERIC FISHER is the ONLY ONE of the lt's i wouldnt rage over. the guy is absolutely elite and is an instant pro bowler. i think he is far better than joekel and lane johnson isnt in the mix. but, kc is probably going to shock everyone and take fisher over joekel and that means ireland will wait on lane johnson. and maybe panic when he gets within 2 pics from us and trade.

no. i wont be happy. our BIGGEST NEED, and not even close on ANY other position is CB!! we dont have anything. and an older guy with 2 years off of football with a knee and a achillies is NOT reason to over look cb. the others we have are not even good backups. that is where the team needs to draft first. top pic and one with either of the 2nd or 3rd round choices. AUSTIN is the caveate as he is just to much of a talent and play maker and POINTS SCORER to pass up. he is the best prospect in this draft, BAR NONE, and when the best player falls to you, YOU TAKE IT!!

other than austin, our pic better be a corner [trufant].

yeah ive been thinking the same thing for weeks now, that austin goes to buffalo. this reminds me so much of spiller in '10. it was incredibly frustrating that night when he was picked 8th and we traded down. at least this year we can still get a play maker in tyler eifert.

I won't be upset if Austin goes before our pick. I will be a little disappointed if he's on the board and we pass.

Back
Top Bottom