If the cap figured are correct we are in a decent position. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If the cap figured are correct we are in a decent position.

PhinsTD

Phins fanatic
Reaction score
If the numbers are correct we're in a decent spot under the cap. Certainly not anywhere near in a position to go after Manning so I've put that to rest in my mind.

If we do go in around 10.5 mil over the cap it won't be hard to manuever under the cap and get in a decent position to add some players.

I'll assume we tender all of our RFA and it costs us the extra 3.5 mil (I'm going to assume O-Gun at 1st rd tender)

That means we need to clear 14 mil to just get our guys tendered and the needs identified. I disagree with that large of a debit against us.

Cutting:
Griese
Fiedler
McK
Thompson
Ruddy
Perry
Borum
Bedell
L. Williams
Marion

This nets us 16.8 or so million off the cap charges. This allows us to tender our guys and then need only 1.8 mil or so to sign our picks.

It would be very easy to cut the salaries of the following guys and/or re-structure by converting salary to guarantted moneys to make around 10 mil or so more to put towrds FA's.

Dixon (600k base and will be backup if he returns)
Taylor (5.5 million can be easily reduced if need be)
D.Bowens (1.6 million will definitely be reduced to avoid cuts)
J. Williams (1.2 million will be converted some into bonus IMO)
T. Bowens (2.25 mil has already said would reduce significantly)
Chester (1.525 mil some will be converted)
Zgonina (760k some could be cut down)
Thomas (2.845 and roster bonus upcoming can be tinkered)
Seau (2.5 mil will be reduced)
Surtain (5.4 mil will be converted some)
Madison (5.3 mil drastically reduced could be 2.5 mil)
Mare (1.8 mil is not justified although some has been converted already)

These players have combined salaries of 31.28 mil. I feel through pay cuts and conversions it would be fairly easy to come up with about 11-12 million to sign picks and FA's. I'm well aware this will cause some further problems in future years. It can be offset somewhat by convincing players such as Madison and Knight that they will not get more on open market and are better off with a straight cut in pay to stay. T. Bowens and Madison could be cut a combined 3.5-4 million next year alone.

Just some thoughts and an early look at what may be done.

BTW, even though sometimes I'm kinda hard on ya Clump, it must have taken quite some time to compile this and I thank you very much for taking the time to do so and help others such as myself who have way to many other thing sgoing to even think of doing this their selves.

Kudos to you guys who all helped with this.

I agree that we are not bad off.

I disagree that we wouldn't be able to go after Manning with the cap space potentially available. Manning is a fairly young QB, so Miami wouldn't have a problem giving him a long (say 8 year ) contract. If Wayne H. is willing to give him a big enough signing bonus, its possible.

Nice job guys.

There are plenty of errors though on the cap savings if players are cut before June 1. You might want to recheck your figures.

Clump- e-mail me so we can cross check our numbers.

I do kinda laugh when I see people basically believing we'd be the only team going after him. If he worries about money (and what player doesn't) we're nowhere in any shape to go after him.

Did you see how much work it would take to even go after a few players on teh open market? If you assume every other spot is manned by a guy making the min we'd still have a hard time coming up with enough space to make it work.

Unless you want to go into next season with no new lineman other than draft picks and three less vets off this years team, along with no new WR other than a draft pick. Then we may be able to go for Manning and sign enough players at the minimum to field a team. This would include probably five undrafted guys as well.

Don't forget most teams like to leave a million or so under the cap to sign players in case of injuries.

Originally posted by Aqua
Nice job guys.

There are plenty of errors though on the cap savings if players are cut before June 1. You might want to recheck your figures.

Clump- e-mail me so we can cross check our numbers.

I account for the top 51.

A couple for instances.

Cutting these players will save:

Thompson $1.05M
Ruddy $2.7M
Marion $1M
Knight $1.55M

That's what I mean by rechecking the numbers. The cap savings of pre-June 1st cuts are incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom