If there is one player we should not bring back, its Hartline | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If there is one player we should not bring back, its Hartline

I disagree with the op. I think we can bring in Jennings, resign Hartline and still draft a reciever or tight end in round 1 or 2.

I'm not sure you can't... Now I agree hartline is not worth 6 mil but at 4 or 4.5 I would be interested. The early round thing I don't get because people often forget these draft picks are not getting huge contracts anymore and the price tag would not force them o to the field if they needed further development to go with their tremendous upside talent ie. Patterson. If you got Jennings for 8.5 or so and hartline for 4.5 and draft a guy that's not a huge payroll for Playmakers and possession guy. Lets say for argument sake they take Patterson at 12. Wrs now Jennings hartline Patterson bess Mathews that is a solid 5 receiver group that gives flexibility if injuries occur.

I understand he had the best season out of all our free agents but hear me out.

• If you want one of the big 4 (Jennings, Wallace, Bowe, Harvin) AND a receiver in the first 3 rounds, we CANNOT bring back Hartline.

If you bring him back, you aren't going to give another big contract to another receiver and draft one in the early rounds. You might do one or the other but not both. The more likely choice would be Hartline and a rookie becauase you wouldn't want to dedicate so much money to the position. But lets say for some crazy reason Ireland pays Hartline and one of the big 4, I GUARANTEE you we won't draft a rookie in the first 3 rounds to split snaps with Hartline for 4-5 years.

• If you bring him back, it will be for 6+ million and that is way overpaying, limiting what else we can spend at the position.

This is reiterating what is said in the first paragraph. If you spend that much money on Hartline, you won't be able to do both of drafting and getting one of the big 4. You can do one, but not both. Point being it will take too many assets to the position and you'd have to be splitting snaps.

The Solution

• Let Hartline walk, go get one of the big 4, preferably Jennings or Harvin, (Jennings because he fits the scheme and is worth the money he is expected to get, Harvin because he is 24, mvp candidate before getting injured, and is worth the 10 million hes asking), and DRAFT a rookie to play opposite your big 4 receiver.

If you bring back Hartline, you won't be able to do both these things in the solution, plus we would be overpaying for Hartline who is not a redzone threat.
Harvin does not belong in the big 4.

• If you bring him back, it will be for 6+ million and that is way overpaying, limiting what else we can spend at the position.

This is reiterating what is said in the first paragraph. If you spend that much money on Hartline, you won't be able to do both of drafting and getting one of the big 4. You can do one, but not both. Point being it will take too many assets to the position and you'd have to be splitting snaps.

If it takes $6+ million to bring Hartline back, then IMO, he would already be resigned. I don't think Ireland or Philbin sees Hartline as that type of dynamic receiver to give him that type of contract.

I think the thing people on here seem to forget is that Philbin nor Ireland seem to like drafting wide receivers early, and with reason. Draft size or cornerbacks early, positions where talent makes a bigger difference. Wide receivers are so hard to evaluate in college...we drafted 3 late (Fuller, Cunningham, Matthews) and only 1 stuck. But of those 3, the coaching staff seems excited about Rishard Matthews.

It's more about guys who can get seperation and catch the ball consistently. The splash we will make in free agency at wide receiver will be half PR, half football move. But it makes sense to pay a proven guy over a question mark.

Just out of curiosity...how do you know Philbin doesn't seem to like drafting wide receivers early?

If they do re sign Hartline and sign Jennings I would hope they draft a WR high. Marshall should have been a lesson about putting all your playmakers in one basket.

Jennings and Patterson as our starters, Bess in the slot with Matthews and a drafted burner make him expendable to me...

Or keep in mind you bring hartline back as insurance for injury and safety against bust pick, could end up a win win as if hartline continues to put up numbers, we have a tradable commodity for the future. Just another point of view from planning standpoint

Who said we're going to overpay for Hartline? Also as I recall most people usually freak out when we have players who hit the open market, remember when y'all thought Soliai was going to get a huge contract? Did he get one?

He did, Denver was waiting for him to arrive there, I think there was an actual flight booked.
It was by sheer grace that luckily we have a guy of Soliai's character, who turned down their higher offer to stay here.
This is against the norm, and even more reason why Soliai is the MAN!!!

Anyways though, Hartline is nowhere near the caliber player Soliai is.
Let Hartline walk. We won't be true contenders with him as our #2, imo at least.

Also hartline is average vs. Top corners ..they shut him off easy..he seems intimadated.

Just out of curiosity...how do you know Philbin doesn't seem to like drafting wide receivers early?

I have no clue how much input Philbin has on decision making, whether here or in GB, but if i'm not mistaken the highest draft pick GB used on WR is 2nd rounders on Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson. Ireland hasn't drafted WR higher than the 3rd (Patrick Turner). Especially in a year when there are no foolproof wide receivers available in the 1st, i don't see them spending any of the first 3 picks on WR. Especially since they are talking about extending Hartline, and will obviously be making a play for Bowe, Wallace, Jennings, Harvin.

Also, Ireland hasn't drafted a WR early, but he did go out and get Brandon Marshall. I think that tells us alot about his draft strategy re: WRs.

Back
Top Bottom