If you could only upgrade 3 positions thru this draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If you could only upgrade 3 positions thru this draft

ThrowDaTD

Rookie
Reaction score
We need upgrades at many positions to become serious contenders (and the hope is we address and improve our deficiencies year after year). If we can upgrade only just 3 positions through this year's draft, which positions would be ideal to improve in your mind? OLine, WR, TE, DLine, DE/OLB (pass rusher), LB, CB, FS, other?And which combination of 3 upgrades will give us the best outcome next season?

Last edited by a moderator:
im looking at this post as upgrading the players we had in 2012, you may be looking at it as a free agency standpoint (without fasano) I feel like out of the 5 positions needed upgrades (WR, TE, OL, DB, DE), we would be a very solid team if we were to keep Fasano and the rotation we had a DE, and upgraded the other 3 through the draft.

WR, CB, OL

im looking at this post as upgrading the players we had in 2012, you may be looking at it as a free agency standpoint (without fasano) I feel like out of the 5 positions needed upgrades (WR, TE, OL, DB, DE), we would be a very solid team if we were to keep Fasano and the rotation we had a DE, and upgraded the other 3 through the draft. WR, CB, OL
Yes, I'm referring to upgrades over this year's squad.

im looking at this post as upgrading the players we had in 2012, you may be looking at it as a free agency standpoint (without fasano) I feel like out of the 5 positions needed upgrades (WR, TE, OL, DB, DE), we would be a very solid team if we were to keep Fasano and the rotation we had a DE, and upgraded the other 3 through the draft.

WR, CB, OL

Those 3 definitely

An argument can be made that without better pass protection, Tannehill just doesn't have the time to wait and let his receivers run their routes, so shoring up our OLine is most needed.

But then again, having more offensive weapons to choose from allows Tannehill to get rid of the ball quicker if there's pressure, so WR's and TE's should be our focus to upgrade.

But on the opposite side of the field, we could use more pressure on the opposing QB's to get more sacks and force bad throws, so upgrading our DLine and pass rushing is a big need.

But then a case can be made that if we have better DB's, the QB will have to wait in the pocket longer to find open receivers, which gives our rushers more time to get to him, so CB and safeties are what our primary targets should be.

Of course, in a perfect draft, we could solve most of our present needs if every single player we draft turns out to be studs. But drafts are always a gamble and we'll be happy if half our draftees turn out to be starters or better.

Me personally, if we could hit it rich at only 3 positions in this draft, it should be WR, OG, and DE. Obviously we need weapons at WR, and its almost unanimous among everyone here that we need to upgrade the talent level among the receiving corps. And a recipe for success is to apply lots of pressure on opposing QB, so pass rushing should be upgraded too. But I list OG as a primary area for upgrade through the draft because we also need to create holes for our RB's to run through. A good running game also helps our passing game more effective because of play action.

Chance Warmack is one of the top players in this draft, and if he's there at 12 and is the BPA, then you take him. With Pouncey, Martin, and Warmack, we'll have the foundation of a strong OL for years to come.

I'm assuming it'll be harder in this draft to find a solid OG prospect in the 2nd round than to find a solid pass rusher or a solid WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
WR/LB/DE are the areas we need to upgrade. LB/DE can make our db's look so much better. WR will improve the running game and Oline and QB.

Pass rushing DE, G/T, and FS.

So, in F/A, I'd target BOTH JENNINGS and WALLACE, w/LEVITRE at G and COX at CB. But as to JENNINGS, he's not absolutely essential: I'd be happy to get BOWE instead of JENNINGS: but WALLACE is a MUST i/m/o. And I see no REVIS among this Draft's CBs: that's why I'd look for COX. And I don't really want a "College Boy" WR: they usually take a couple of years to develop into NFL WRs, and I want results now, since MIAMI's close i/m/o.

My first 2 Draft Picks are pass-rushers. 2b is reserved for RAMBO, to make sure that we get him. One of our 3rds is for the best CB available. Our other 3rd, our 4th and our 5th are for Gs/Ts. Our remaining Picks are for "flyers", position(s) unimportant...or to move up.

Well say we have same talent returning a big if
WR
Pass rush DE
shutdown CB

Will throwout some names
Aggressive CB - Dee Milliner or Desmond Trufant
Athletic OT/ OG that fits the ZBS - Eric Fisher or Jonathan Cooper
WR that can get separation and make plays- Stedman Bailey or Justin Hunter

Would love to get a DE opposite of Wake but weren't we ranked top 10 in sacks? There were definitely times where the pass rush looked nonexistent I will agree but it isn't that much of a need.

Back
Top Bottom