I'm confused | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I'm confused

Bling

tehMick PWNS my life
Reaction score
We have McIntosh, Carey, St. Clair, Jerman, Whitley.

Which ones are starting at RG and RT?
Which ones are starting next year?
Which ones are starting in 5 years?

The only guy I can make out to be a starter for a while is Carey (if McIntosh doesn't beat him out). What the heck happens at RG?

Actually, Carey is 2nd Team RT right now, with some reports indicating that he has not looked too good out there yet. We'll see what happens when the pads come on.

blingbling2334 said:
We have McIntosh, Carey, St. Clair, Jerman, Whitley.

Which ones are starting at RG and RT?
Which ones are starting next year?
Which ones are starting in 5 years?

The only guy I can make out to be a starter for a while is Carey (if McIntosh doesn't beat him out). What the heck happens at RG?

How can Mcintosh beat out Carey if he can't play yet? I think we'll have a better grip on it when the pads go on next month.

IMO Carey won't beat out St Clair for the starting RT position. Very few rookies have the ability to come in and be effective starters at tackle. I don't see Carey as special enough at tackle to beat out St Clair's veteran experience this year. After some development Carey would beat out St Clair next year or the year after but not McIntosh (if he come's back 100% from injury).
I think RG will be the position Carey can make the most difference in 2004 and beyond. Hopefully Carey proves me wrong at RT this year. St Clair is experienced but not a great talent and McIntosh's injury may keep him out for the year.
This years starters RG Carey & RT ST Clair. Next years RG Carey, RT McIntosh. In 5 years probably none of the above.

Eshlemon said:
IMO Carey won't beat out St Clair for the starting RT position. Very few rookies have the ability to come in and be effective starters at tackle. I don't see Carey as special enough at tackle to beat out St Clair's veteran experience this year. After some development Carey would beat out St Clair next year or the year after but not McIntosh (if he come's back 100% from injury).
I think guard will be the position Carey can make the most difference in 2004 and beyond. Hopefully Carey proves me wrong at RT this year. St Clair is experienced but not a great talent and McIntosh's injury may keep him out for the year.

I disagree with everything you said. Your correct, very few rookies have the ability to come in and start, but most are also not 6-4 and 360 pounds, alot of which has gone from fat to muscle. This kid has been on a very intense offseason regimen, he was one of the top 2 run blockers in this past draft, and believe me you'll notice it when you see him play. He is already physically big and strong enough to play and excel in the NFL, he will be a Pro Bowler within 2 years I guarantee it. He has the athletic ability to play at RT and I see him and Smith as our bookend tackles for the next 10 years. St. Clair is a good backup and will never be more in his career unless he moves to the interior, he's starting to tail off in camp as Carey begins to emerge. As to the original question, this year I believe it will be Smith-James-McKinney-German-Carey, and in 5 years I think it might be the same although you might see Whitley or McIntosh in at RG.

Finsflurry said:
I disagree with everything you said. Your correct, very few rookies have the ability to come in and start, but most are also not 6-4 and 360 pounds, alot of which has gone from fat to muscle. This kid has been on a very intense offseason regimen, he was one of the top 2 run blockers in this past draft, and believe me you'll notice it when you see him play. He is already physically big and strong enough to play and excel in the NFL, he will be a Pro Bowler within 2 years I guarantee it. He has the athletic ability to play at RT and I see him and Smith as our bookend tackles for the next 10 years. St. Clair is a good backup and will never be more in his career unless he moves to the interior, he's starting to tail off in camp as Carey begins to emerge. As to the original question, this year I believe it will be Smith-James-McKinney-German-Carey, and in 5 years I think it might be the same although you might see Whitley or McIntosh in at RG.

I agree wth you on everything except one, if McIntosh comes back healthy and could transition from the left to right side I would possibly like to see Carey move inside to RG. He would give us a very athletic and LARGE right guard and with the rest of the guys we could have an OL to be reckoned with. Plus with Carey inside the mistakes could possibly be fewer as he could get help from the C. Can you imagine Jeno pulling around and leading Rob and Ricky behind Carey and McIntosh? They would absolutely blow up any defense's left side!!!

Lets take it even one more step Randy lined up right of McIntosh with Boston split out right

Finsflurry said:

I don't see Carey as a Prowl Bowl tackle but good enough to eventually beat out St Clair and possibly McIntosh. Definately could see him as a Pro Bowler at RG.
I would love to be wrong and Carey be Pro Bowl RT rather than a Pro Bowl RG. And Whitely become starter at RG. A T/G line of LT Smith, LG James, RG Whitely, RT Carey, and McIntosh as backup T/G would all be under contract at least until 2006. St Clair would also give depth everywhere for the next couple of years. McKinney is the starter this year but a FA in 2005. No way you can project any further than when contracts expire in this era of free agency.

Actually if German doesn't win out RG, I'd rather have Yates there than Whitney. If Carey don't beat out St. Clair for RT, then I want Carey at RG, and if McIntosh comes back, hopefully he takes St. Clair out at RT, I'm still not sold on St. Clair or Whitney. They are the weakest links, take them out, good bye.

MDFINFAN said:
Actually if German doesn't win out RG, I'd rather have Yates there than Whitney. If Carey don't beat out St. Clair for RT, then I want Carey at RG, and if McIntosh comes back, hopefully he takes St. Clair out at RT, I'm still not sold on St. Clair or Whitney. They are the weakest links, take them out, good bye.

Sorry it wasn't more clear. Was stating the hope for more stability on the OL by having the 5 guys all signed at least until 2006 stepping up as quality starters at the the 4 G/T positions and a top backup with St Clair providing further depth since he's signed up to 2005. Nothing against Yates or Jerman but they're only signed for this year.

What about bringing back Nails

We definetly need to bring back Jaime Nails for depth, can you imagine if one of our lineman or 2 go down, where would we be, We always have one player of starting caliber go down every year, who will it be this year, Im praying it doesnt happen, oh lord dont let it happen.
I agree Carey wont start at RT, not at the start, maybe mid season.:up:

Finsflurry said:

Here, here!!! :D Great minds think alike brother.

Vernon Carey WILL start at Right Tackle this year. There is no talk about him playing guard. Smith and Carey will be our tackles for a long time and I think they will be excellent. Jeno James is a stud. We're luckey to have him on our team, this guy is a difference maker. At center McKinney finally has his chance to step it up, if he's getting beat alot or simply not playing well the word id that St. Clair is very good as a center and I think Hadnot played there also. Right guard is the question mark. I think when DaMac comes back it could very well be as a right guard, in the interim Jerman will probably get the start unless a talented veteran falls our way. Billy Yates will be in the mix somewhere because he has looked good and deserves a shot. We're better off talent-wise on the O-Line than we've been in ages and we have Rick to thank. Now Tony Wise has to Coach his butt off to turn this group into formidable unit. Carey could be in the ProBowl within a few years. I've followed him since High School, mucho talent.

Fins2theend said:
I agree wth you on everything except one, if McIntosh comes back healthy and could transition from the left to right side I would possibly like to see Carey move inside to RG. He would give us a very athletic and LARGE right guard and with the rest of the guys we could have an OL to be reckoned with. Plus with Carey inside the mistakes could possibly be fewer as he could get help from the C. Can you imagine Jeno pulling around and leading Rob and Ricky behind Carey and McIntosh? They would absolutely blow up any defense's left side!!!

Carey may very well end up at RG sometime, but i don't think that was the intention when he was drafted in the 1st rnd tho.

Back
Top Bottom