Interesting repercussions of running down the Play Clock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Interesting repercussions of running down the Play Clock

LordTua

Lord Tua
Reaction score
I saw it mentioned somewhere and it really got me thinking. Jay Cutler continuously let's the clock run down to 1 or 2 seconds before the ball is snapped.

I was at the game yesterday and EVERYONE was tired of It, so many TOs had to be wasted because he has ZERO sense of urgency.

What all does this have an effect on?
- It completely takes the guessing part out of it for the defense. Once it gets down to 2 or 1 seconds they know exactly when the ball HAS to be snapped. Allowing them to jump counts and pin their ears back.

- It puts our O-line behind the 8-ball because of what was mentioned above, makes their job a lot harder.

- He incorporates very very little hard count is his game because he doesn't leave himself time. Even though it's a very useful tool to have when a defense is chomping at the bit.

- Lastly and most importantly, we get more delay of game penalties and burned TOs because of thus bum.

I feel like that might have something to do with the fact that our O-line looked like it was playing better once Moore stepped in. He was actually running hurry up and changing the tempo.

Thoughts are welcomed.

I saw it mentioned somewhere and it really got me thinking. Jay Cutler continuously let's the clock run down to 1 or 2 seconds before the ball is snapped.

I was at the game yesterday and EVERYONE was tired of It, so many TOs had to be wasted because he has ZERO sense of urgency.

- It completely takes the guessing part out of it for the defense. Once it gets down to 2 or 1 seconds they know exactly when the ball HAS to be snapped. Allowing them to jump counts and pin their ears back.

- It puts our O-line behind the 8-ball because of what was mentioned above, makes their job a lot harder.

- He incorporates very very little hard count is his game because he doesn't leave himself time. Even though it's a very useful tool to have when a defense is chomping at the bit.

- Lastly and most importantly, we get more delay of game penalties and burned TOs because of thus bum.

I feel like that might have something to do with the fact that our O-line looked like it was playing better once Moore stepped in. He was actually running hurry up and changing the tempo.

Thoughts are welcomed.

Don't forget this one . . . no time to change plays.

Thoughts are welcomed.
If the game clock is still running Cutler probably sees it as additional TOP. :roflmao

I am curious though if he always did that (Chicago, Denver).

Interesting points which make a lot of sense. Especially if a blitz is called and the defense knows Cutler takes it down to the wire then guessing the pre-snap blitz has got to be much easier. The more I chew on this the more this hurts our offensive line and ability to attack the defense.

OK I went back went back and re-watched the game. Miami didn't use a timeout in the first half until the final 90 seconds before halftime and the only instances of Cutler burning a timeout to keep the clock from expiring was early in the 3rd quarter. When you say "so many timeouts had to be wasted" do you mean just one?

It really makes no sense to wait till 1 or 2 seconds left and it has happen even after a time out.....how can that happen? You can blame Cutler but also the coaching staff. I mean, don't they see that doing that is not helping at all? Are they not saying anything to him? Also, I've seen Cutler at least once or twice looking at the play list on his wrist after they break the huddle!!! I miss Tannehill

Ozzy rules!!

When you are bad at converting third downs and staying on the field, running down the play clock helps reduce the number of plays being run against your defense.

Gase was asked about this. Someone asked why we arent running the hurry up offense and he said we are, but its not really a hurry up offense if you are letting the clock run down before you snap it. That tells me Gase has his idea of how the offense should be ran and its not happening that way. For whatever reasons.

OK I went back went back and re-watched the game. Miami didn't use a timeout in the first half until the final 90 seconds before halftime and the only instances of Cutler burning a timeout to keep the clock from expiring was early in the 3rd quarter. When you say "so many timeouts had to be wasted" do you mean just one?
I wasn't speaking on just yesterday in that instance, since he's been our starting QB I remember a good amount of TOs being burned due to the Play Clock almost expiring

When you are bad at converting third downs and staying on the field, running down the play clock helps reduce the number of plays being run against your defense.
That's a pretty weak way to run an offense right there. Not worrying about what position it puts your unit in, doing it to make life on the defense a little easier.

You know what else makes defenses lives easier? Putting up 20+ per game

We do not use a uptempo offense no matter what Gase says. It's very rhythmic imo and i'm not bashing but it is what it is. What we need to do is come up with a plan to show some life on O in the first half. Whomever comes up with that should get a raise.

One of the most frustrating moves in yesterday’s game was watching the offense let the 3rd quarter run out instead of running an offensive play. They were trailing by 14 points and acted like they were burning the clock with a lead.

I’m pretty sure they wasted over 20 seconds.

I've noticed this with Cutler - find myself screaming SNAP IT SNAP IT SNAP IT!!!!! just about every play. I don't understand why it takes him so long. Moore came in and was regularly snapping it with 8 to 11 on the play clock.

Thoughts are welcomed.
O-line looked better because Moore throws with anticipation. These are timing routes and Moore was throwing to a spot trusting his receivers to be there and get their head turned around. Cutler holds on to the ball and waits for his guys to get open before he throws it. O-line doesn't have to block as long on passing plays with Moore. They still sucked run blocking whether is was Moore or Cutler behind center. Cutler just showed the organization how freakin bad the O-line really is and they need to stop ignoring it.

There were plenty of games like yesterday last season. The bad games got excused away by the front office and coaching staff and they always pointed to the good games, which were fewer in number, saying the line wasn't consistent enough or some coach speak nonsense. If Dolphins have success with Moore behind the O-line, and I suspect they will, expect the front office to ignore the O-line in the draft again.

Back
Top Bottom