Ireland and the draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by colindolphin, Sep 14, 2012.

1. colindolphin

colindolphin Banned Hammered

Hi guys just a question we all talk about Ireland and what he has and has not done here but do G/M's scout just for the draft that year or do they look 2 or 3 years down the line,i only ask as we seem to draft the wrong players each year my example is 2010 E.Berry and E.Thomas were great safety prospects imo but the last few years nobody comes close and we could have solved the F/S position with Thomas cheers

2. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

So many holes, so few draft picks...never had a shot at Berry as KC took him long before Miami was on the board. Would Miami have taken Thomas? Given the amount of holes to fill trading down to get a 1st and 2nd from SD seemed like a good idea at the time since Ireland traded two 2nd to get Marshall. I think more than anything else Ireland has just not found any elite players that every winning franchise is able to build around.

3. circumstances

circumstances Starter

giving someone two drafts to find "elite" players is a tall order. sure it would have been nice to have instant superstars. he may have picked some, and time will tell, but nobody has emerged as an "elite" playmaker from last draft or this draft (trading practically nothing for reggie bush notwithstanding). i believe that mike pouncey is on his way to being elite. he is not at a skill position, but an elite center is quite valuable. other players from ireland's drafts ('11, '12) that may have a shot: ryan tannehill, charles clay, lamar miller, and daniel thomas. if none of them become elite playmakers, we have a 1, two 2's, and two 3's to start off next year's draft, so hopefully ireland's third time will be the charm.

4. MiamiCalifornia

MiamiCalifornia Banned Hammered

F**k, I hope so...

5. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

We have prett much sucked at drafting since the Shula days. Randy Mueller, Rick Spielman, Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland are all a farce.

6. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

We just haven't drafted playmakers plain and simple. I guess its better than the Wanny era where we just traded away essentially entire drafts for potheads but still. We need the right combination of a GM who can draft solid starters and take risks on PLAYMAKERS at the same time. We don't currently have that.

7. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

Get an elite QB and your drafts look a lot better than what they really are!

8. NorthernFin

NorthernFin Scout Team

If the right side of the line steps up, we may be seeing one in the making.

9. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

You can't draft play makers if you're drafting centers and RT's in the first 2 rounds.

Ozzy rules!!

10. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Just a thought here but how exactly has Eric Berry made KC a great defense? Fact is, it hasn't. Which is why one player does not make a team. I always like to look at the other side of the green grass when judging.

11. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Yeah but Danny, our biggest hole this past year was RT. Dont tell me you were happy with Columbo cus you weren't. Fact is, Ireland haters only look at negatives. You dont look at the hole equation. So far, the OL is looking pretty well set up for the future provided Jerry continues to puke his guts out year in year out.