"Iron" Mike Hammers Ricky ! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Iron" Mike Hammers Ricky !

CrunchTime

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
clear.gif
Posted October 8, 2004

Never mind Ricky Williams' desire to travel the globe, hang out with rock stars or spend his days smoking marijuana. Those aren't the real reasons he quit football.

He just doesn't want to get hit.

That's the conclusion of Mike Ditka, the former New Orleans Saints coach who traded just about everything to move up to the fifth spot in the 1999 NFL draft and select Williams, a Heisman Trophy-winning running back. Once, Ditka was among Williams' most adamant defenders. No more.
I don't respect him for what he did, and I had a lot of respect for Ricky as a person," Ditka said. "But I think what he did, when you leave your teammates down like that, when you leave the organization down, when the ownership has put a lot of money into him, I think you're saying, 'Hey, I don't give a [expletive] about you. I worry about Ricky Williams.' And I don't like that.

"If I was the [Miami] Dolphins' owner, I'd go after him and get the money back. The other reason is, I don't think Ricky likes contact -- and I hope he reads this -- I don't think he likes to get hit anymore. That's the biggest reason. Forget about smoking dope and hanging out with Lenny Kravitz. He doesn't like to get hit anymore. He's not willing to stick it in there like he used to."

Not true, argues agent Leigh Steinberg, pointing out Williams led the league with 392 carries last season.

"Ricky's incredibly tough," Steinberg said. "He doesn't run out of bounds. He runs in between the tackles, and he always will."

Excerpts from this article (Registration required)
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/orl-sptdolphins08100804oct08,1,94363.story?coll=orl-dolphins

Let me ask you one thing if he doesnt like to be hit then why is he a RB.?
I think its fairer to say he doesnt like to be "overhit".

CrunchTime said:
clear.gif
Posted October 8, 2004

Never mind Ricky Williams' desire to travel the globe, hang out with rock stars or spend his days smoking marijuana. Those aren't the real reasons he quit football.

He just doesn't want to get hit.

That's the conclusion of Mike Ditka, the former New Orleans Saints coach who traded just about everything to move up to the fifth spot in the 1999 NFL draft and select Williams, a Heisman Trophy-winning running back. Once, Ditka was among Williams' most adamant defenders. No more.
I don't respect him for what he did, and I had a lot of respect for Ricky as a person," Ditka said. "But I think what he did, when you leave your teammates down like that, when you leave the organization down, when the ownership has put a lot of money into him, I think you're saying, 'Hey, I don't give a [expletive] about you. I worry about Ricky Williams.' And I don't like that.

"If I was the [Miami] Dolphins' owner, I'd go after him and get the money back. The other reason is, I don't think Ricky likes contact -- and I hope he reads this -- I don't think he likes to get hit anymore. That's the biggest reason. Forget about smoking dope and hanging out with Lenny Kravitz. He doesn't like to get hit anymore. He's not willing to stick it in there like he used to."

Not true, argues agent Leigh Steinberg, pointing out Williams led the league with 392 carries last season.

"Ricky's incredibly tough," Steinberg said. "He doesn't run out of bounds. He runs in between the tackles, and he always will."

Excerpts from this article (Registration required)
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/orl-sptdolphins08100804oct08,1,94363.story?coll=orl-dolphins

Let me ask you one thing if he doesnt like to be hit then why is he a RB.?
I think its fairer to say he doesnt like to be overused.
I like Mike calling him out, and being very vocal! Other sports casters, and just kinda tip toeing around the issue!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Who the hell knows why Ricky quit. I mean seriously, who the hell knows!!
Dude Ricky is done, this guy can't even make his mind what he wants to do in his life, and you want to let him in the locker room with the other loyal players? You must be in the tent with Ricky!

When I read the thread title, I thought it was referring to "Iron" Mike Tyson. Man I'd pay to see that fight!

Noodle Arm said:
When I read the thread title, I thought it was referring to "Iron" Mike Tyson. Man I'd pay to see that fight!
Iron Mike Tyson would whoop Ricky's hippie bytch a$$!

Ricky is such a flip flopper - it's obvious his future isn't in football, oh no, but in politics.

jesusfreak26 said:
I say if Wanny is fired next year why not bring Iron Mike in?
In that same column he stated that he has no interest in returning to coaching.He did not waffle on that.

Back
Top Bottom