Is it Down to these Five? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it Down to these Five?

I don't care how good of a season that Smith had... there are some size flags on him that may cause him to drop a bit.

I know there are a lot of folks on THIS website that really love him, but there are a bunch of 'bama fans here, and a bunch of other fans who have heard nothing but Smith, Smith, Smith... for so long, they've been talked into him.

Hell... he may end up being very good... even a star... but the size questions will follow him until he proves that he can actually be a #1 WR in the NFL. ...and doubts cause players to slide.

Now... mock drafts are just an exercise... and not even all that accurate really, but Smith's position has been tending down week by week, and his immediacy advantage from playing in 2021 slips away.

I'm sorry, but taking him at #3 as the very first non-QB, when he is undersized is a foolish move. Out of that slot, you need to be better than an okay player. Taking him at 8 or 12 makes a bit more sense, but is still a risky move. If he slides into the bottom of the first, where undersized receivers actually start coming off of the board, then ok.

Though I don't disagree with anything you wrote up there, the main points that he did dominate at Alabama, he did have a great year in 2020, and he did have an epic 1st half in the championship game is going to still remain in most GMs and Coaches mind.

His body may very well be too fragile for the NFL, but he also has not had much of an injury background, and at over 6 feet tall, he very well could add a bit of muscle without it hindering his speed or athleticism. This is a tough call for those with some doubts, but sometimes overthinking it, stops you from getting a Randy Moss...Drew Brees...Aaron Rodgers...Jerry Rice...DAN MARINO...

Though I don't disagree with anything you wrote up there, the main points that he did dominate at Alabama, he did have a great year in 2020, and he did have an epic 1st half in the championship game is going to still remain in most GMs and Coaches mind.

His body may very well be too fragile for the NFL, but he also has not had much of an injury background, and at over 6 feet tall, he very well could add a bit of muscle without it hindering his speed or athleticism. This is a tough call for those with some doubts, but sometimes overthinking it, stops you from getting a Randy Moss...Drew Brees...Aaron Rodgers...Jerry Rice...DAN MARINO...
I've acknowledged the possibility that Smith may well end up being a star in the NFL many times... but I doubt it.

My take on him is that he'll be a very nice 2nd option, who will be less effective in the red zone. A between the 20s guy... and a good one.

I just don't think he'll be a star #1 WR that forces teams to change their defenses in order to stop him... and that's what he's GOT to be if he's taken at #3. Being pretty good wouldn't be enough coming from that spot. I'm not in favour of drating Pitts either... and I think he COULD be that guy.

I've never said that Smith will be a bust, just that he's over-valued by many-- especially here at this particular site that has several 'bama fans on it to direct the narrative.

I don't like ANY of this year's class in the top 10. @18, Okay...

I've acknowledged the possibility that Smith may well end up being a star in the NFL many times... but I doubt it.

My take on him is that he'll be a very nice 2nd option, who will be less effective in the red zone. A between the 20s guy... and a good one.

I just don't think he'll be a star #1 WR that forces teams to change their defenses in order to stop him... and that's what he's GOT to be if he's taken at #3. Being pretty good wouldn't be enough coming from that spot. I'm not in favour of drating Pitts either... and I think he COULD be that guy.

I've never said that Smith will be a bust, just that he's over-valued by many-- especially here at this particular site that has several 'bama fans on it to direct the narrative.

I don't like ANY of this year's class in the top 10. @18, Okay...

No, I know you're not saying he's going to be a bust, and him being a between the 20s is a possibility in the NFL, but what if without being that effective in the Redzone, he still gives you chunk yardage, a few TDs in more games then not.

The thing is, there is huge talent there, and there is a load of success there because of it. Sometimes when we look at the physical variables, but don't consider what is most obvious about someone, you might miss out on a special player.

Now with all that I do also agree with you that if Miami.is going Smith, it would be better if Miami was able trade out of the #3 position.

I think Parsons is now in the mix too with the KVN release.

Personally I'm down to 3, acceptable picks, but really focused on one guy. Pitts. I would be fine with Sewell or Chase.

Interesting take from Simon Clancy here, it's kind of where I am right now too:

I agree. With the KVN release you now have to put Micah Parsons in the mix.

I don't see it being limited to 5 guys at all, purely because I see it so unlikely we don't trade down.

It's a weird draft to be picking 3rd, where on one hand we have the advantage of there being a number of teams who need QBs and there are 3/4 good ones to choose from, with us holding pick 3.

On the other hand, there isn't an elite pass rusher to stick around at pick 3 for, there are elite tackles but it's a very deep class so the value of using #3 on a tackle is diminished. There are elite WRs, but again it's a deep class.

The elite guys at other positions (Barmore/Onwuzurike, Parsons/Collins, Farley/Surtain/Horn, Moehrig, Pitts, Harris, Davis, Humphrey) are worth us taking a look at but in most cases are a stretch to take at pick 3. If only on a salary basis, the 3 pick will earn what would be almost top money for some of this position groups, before the kid plays a down in the pros.

So i think in this draft it's a given to drop down and pick up whatever you can get from a QB hungry team.

In which case, the pool of players opens right up and we're looking at 10-12 guys.

As unpopular as it might be with a lot of fans, i wouldn't be angry if we came out of the first with 2 defensive players like Ossai/Ojulari plus Moehrig or Parsons and Horn and we hit the offensive side with the extra capital from the trade down in R2-4.

Pitts is hard to turn down tho, at any pick.

Last edited:
Pitts will be the best player in this draft. Most likely to be all-pro if you ask me. Over even Lawrence. Not even just saying that because I’m a Gators fan.

don’t sleep on a player like my Kadarius Toney @ 18 or even Elijah Moore from Ole miss In the 2nd round...

You can claim all you want that you can get good tight ends in the second or later rounds, but that’s true for all positions.

Tom Brady in the 6th, Antonio Brown in the 6th, Steve Largent in the 4th and for a rb, Terrell Davis in the 6th.

Just to name a few later round or mid round studs..

Any player can be under or overrated or bust or over play their positional pick..but at the same time..the ‘Phins should trust their draft board and pick the guy they rate the highest..and god willing it’ll be Pitts..

trade down if you will...but it better still be top 6-8 and better nope you get a good return..cause we will regret it later for sure if we don’t and don’t hit on all those picks.

Dont pass on “The Unicorn” 🦄 that is Pitts..say it’s too high at #3 overall but to label him just a other tight end is wrong.

I don't see it being limited to 5 guys at all, purely because I see it so unlikely we don't trade down.

It's a weird draft to be picking 3rd, where on one hand we have the advantage of there being a number of teams who need QBs and there are 3/4 good ones to choose from, with us holding pick 3.

On the other hand, there isn't an elite pass rusher to stick around at pick 3 for, there are elite tackles but it's a very deep class so the value of using #3 on a tackle is diminished. There are elite WRs, but again it's a deep class.

The elite guys at other positions (Barmore/Onwuzurike, Parsons/Collins, Farley/Surtain/Horn, Moehrig, Pitts, Harris, Davis, Humphrey) are worth us taking a look at but in most cases are a stretch to take at pick 3. If only on a salary basis, the 3 pick will earn what would be almost top money for some of this position groups, before the kid plays a down in the pros.

So i think in this draft it's a given to drop down and pick up whatever you can get from a QB hungry team.

In which case, the pool of players opens right up and we're looking at 10-12 guys.

As unpopular as it might be with a lot of fans, i wouldn't be angry if we came out of the first with 2 defensive players like Ossai/Ojulari plus Moehrig or Parsons and Horn and we hit the offensive side with the extra capital from the trade down in R2-4.

Pitts is hard to turn down tho, at any pick.
A real wildcard pick might be Surtain.

I think he would only be in play if the contract situation with X. Howard became problematic.

I do think Surtain might be able to play safety.

A real wildcard pick might be Surtain.

I think he would only be in play if the contract situation with X. Howard became problematic.

I do think Surtain might be able to play safety.
SERTAIN as a top 5 get? THE PEDIGREE IS THERE BUT..He may not even be a top two corner in the draft with his perceived lack of speed. Some like definitely Farley better and even some Horn from USCe

Pitts will be the best player in this draft. Most likely to be all-pro if you ask me. Over even Lawrence. Not even just saying that because I’m a Gators fan.

don’t sleep on a player like my Kadarius Toney @ 18 or even Elijah Moore from Ole miss In the 2nd round...

You can claim all you want that you can get good tight ends in the second or later rounds, but that’s true for all positions.

Tom Brady in the 6th, Antonio Brown in the 6th, Steve Largent in the 4th and for a rb, Terrell Davis in the 6th.

Just to name a few later round or mid round studs..

Any player can be under or overrated or bust or over play their positional pick..but at the same time..the ‘Phins should trust their draft board and pick the guy they rate the highest..and god willing it’ll be Pitts..

trade down if you will...but it better still be top 6-8 and better nope you get a good return..cause we will regret it later for sure if we don’t and don’t hit on all those picks.

Dont pass on “The Unicorn” 🦄 that is Pitts..say it’s too high at #3 overall but to label him just a other tight end is wrong.
You mentioned three players that I'm really high on.

Pitts is that mismatch piece and always open because of his size and ability to go up and win those 50/50 battles.

Toney and Elijah Moore are guys who can separate. I wouldn't be shocked if both are first rounders.

The question for me is Chase, Smith versus Pitts.

SERTAIN as a top 5 get? THE PEDIGREE IS THERE BUT..He may not even be a top two corner in the draft with his perceived lack of speed. Some like definitely Farley better and even some Horn from USCe

Horn is my No1 of the 3.

Its going to interesting to see how far they trade back to get the players they really like and want. Najee Harris is one of their favorites for sure and he might not be there at pick #18. Fans dont like RBs in the 1st round but Harris is more of a sure thing than Devonta Smith or Waddle or Chase.
He is a better receiver and blocker than Derrick Henry and is close to being the beast runner Henry is when you need 2 yards. Its was awful watching Fins RBs unable to get 1st downs on short yardage.

Back
Top Bottom