Is it time to rethink the Combine? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it time to rethink the Combine?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Some NFL coaches and personnel evaluators are open to substantial change.

The 2012 Combine marked my twenty-fifth visit to Indy but the very first time I heard scouts, GMs and coaches talk about overhauling the process. And as a side note, it’s also the first time I've ever had a client injured at the Combine. OL Markus Zusevics tore a pectoral ligament on the sixth rep of his bench press test. Markus will be fully recovered in 4 or 5 months and the injury will not affect his career. His injury will not affect my philosophy of encouraging my future clients to work out each year in Indy.
I do however, believe the Combine has some archaic components that can use some change. For one, the entire process creates duress and stress for the players in attendance. There is a lot of hurry up and wait, standing around, and the players usually don’t know what’s next. Secondly, the players must get up very early and get to bed very late. All players suffer from a lack of sleep. This process in no way emulates a game week or even a camp week.
One of the biggest complaints I heard from one veteran AFC Head Coach is that the league is trying to turn the Combine into an entertainment piece. The stadium is no longer a sanctuary for evaluation. I share his concern.
Read entire article:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-it-time-to-rethink-the-Combine.html

Back
Top Bottom