Is it Weeden or Tannehill? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it Weeden or Tannehill?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
The quarterback situation has changed pretty dramatically as far as the NFL draft is concerned. Now that Matt Barkley is staying, Landry Jones is rumored to stay and Robert Griffin III has said that football is plan B, where does that leave Miami? There's still a chance to trade up for Andrew Luck, but my guess is Indianapolis counts its blessings and starts rebuilding with the qb position. If the Rams end up with the #1 pick, who knows. Realistically, the Dolphins could be looking at Ryan Tannehill and/or Brandon Weeden with its top pick. Tannehill will definitely be overdrafted based on his potential. Weeden will be underdrafted based on his age. Who would you rather have and how far down could Miami trade and still get one of these two? I think Tannehill has a shot at top 10 even though that sounds like a stretch. Weeden may make it to round 2, but with fewer qb's now available he could find his way into the first round.

If Shanahan comes back to Washington next year I would not be surprised if they picked Tannehill. I'd be comfortable getting Tannehill somewhere in 24-32 range of the first round but not top ten.

Weeden can really help his stock if he gets an invite to the senior bowl or shrine bowl and shows everyone he can take snaps from under center. I just feel, because of his age, there are some things he's going to have to demonstrate right off the bat like taking snaps under center, footwork in his drops, proper depth in his drops to really help his stock because he's not really a guy you want learning how to play the NFL game for 2+ years. I just think if you draft Weeden you're looking to start him on your team not as a project. I know some disagree with that but that's just how I see it.

I think alot depends on how much they like Matt Moore. If they think Matt Moore can progress next season, then going with Tannehill seems like the best fit. If they feel Matt Moore has hit his ceiling, maybe a more seasoned Brandon Weeden, a guy who would be able to come in sooner, would be the better fit.

All this talk of QB's, my biggest concern is with the evaluation of these QB's, from who you already have to what you possibly can obtain.

Tannehill is the bigger gamble but I think clearly he offers the biggest reward longterm.

No Tannehill please. He choked in college, I suspect more of that in the pro ranks as evidenced by #7. I'd roll with Weeden in the 2nd round. He could play 10 years despite his age. That would be 4 years longer than the average 1st rounder.

I like Weeden. I know he is older but seems to be a good prospect. If we can trade down and get an extra 2nd then i say we take Weeden in the 2nd.

Tannehill has been playing qb for only 2 years, and weeden wil be 29 on opening day! Henne and moore are younger than weeden! John beck 2.0

If we can't get Luck or RG3, we might as well stick with Moore, and see if Peyton Manning is available, or wait until next year....I know everyone is sick of "waiting until next year," but we keep drafting crap QB's thinking they will become franchise QB's, and we just waste our draft picks.

If we can't get Luck or RG3, we might as well stick with Moore, and see if Peyton Manning is available, or wait until next year....I know everyone is sick of "waiting until next year," but we keep drafting crap QB's thinking they will become franchise QB's, and we just waste our draft picks.

I agree.

No Tannehill please. He choked in college, I suspect more of that in the pro ranks as evidenced by #7. I'd roll with Weeden in the 2nd round. He could play 10 years despite his age. That would be 4 years longer than the average 1st rounder.

Next to zero chance you can get 10 years off of Weeden at a high level. Very few if any guys play top level QB at 39 or 40. You draft Weeden in 1st/2nd only if you think he is starting material in his first year as he's too old to get time to develop. You'd be lucky to 5-6 top level years out of him assuming he clicks very early. To me, I would want Luck or RG3 in the first or wait until next year. I'm personally done with a project in the 2nd round or later as we've **** the bed in our efforts thre.

Back
Top Bottom